User Tag List

  1. #47381
    Paranoid Android Video's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surr View Post
    I wonder if there's many other people who get anxious over the thought that there's just so many things in general awesome books, films, series, artists and so forth and you'll never have enough time to discover them all.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

    RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

    Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

  2. #47382
    [boulder][bolder] EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surr View Post
    I wonder if there's many other people who get anxious over the thought that there's just so many awesome books, films, series, artists and so forth and you'll never have enough time to discover them all.
    I'm more worried about the possibility of seeing everything interesting there is to see BEFORE I die. I'd rather die with my sense of wonder intact, than die bored.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes 93JC liked this post

  3. #47383
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Posts
    898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surr View Post
    I wonder if there's many other people who get anxious over the thought that there's just so many awesome books, films, series, artists and so forth and you'll never have enough time to discover them all. That thought just really depresses me because I want to constantly be excited about an awesome book or film or so forth and finding those excitement-worthy ones is tough work and every time you watch a horrible movie you feel sad because you could've been watching a life-changing movie instead if you had just picked a better one to watch..
    I'm constantly discovering new music or neat little novels I'd never heard of, and it boggles my mind that I've only shallowly dipped into what's out there. I don't like knowing I can't read every book, hear every song, watch every movie, see every landscape, and so on. Watching a bad movie or reading a bad book doesn't make me feel sad, though. It's an opportunity to learn from their mistakes, to refine my own tastes, and/or to gleefully tear apart everything they did wrong.

    What makes me sad are all the things that are gone. The libraries burned, cultures lost, unappreciated genius that faded into obscurity. Entire books that became footnotes in other works because the originals were lost. It's aggravating. It's not like I would have read them. I just like having the option.

    There's a book at my library called 100 Places to Go Before They Disappear. I'm not going to read it because it will probably piss me off.

  4. #47384
    AKA Nunki Polaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni
    Posts
    1,371

    Default

    Announcing that you like to select one of your stainless pairs of underpants before meeting up with an attractive person is probably not a good way to land yourself a date.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

  5. #47385
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default Oh my god, they found me. I don't know how, but they found me.


  6. #47386
    is indra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Likes Xann liked this post

  7. #47387
    is indra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I'm constantly discovering new music or neat little novels I'd never heard of, and it boggles my mind that I've only shallowly dipped into what's out there. I don't like knowing I can't read every book, hear every song, watch every movie, see every landscape, and so on. Watching a bad movie or reading a bad book doesn't make me feel sad, though. It's an opportunity to learn from their mistakes, to refine my own tastes, and/or to gleefully tear apart everything they did wrong.

    What makes me sad are all the things that are gone. The libraries burned, cultures lost, unappreciated genius that faded into obscurity. Entire books that became footnotes in other works because the originals were lost. It's aggravating. It's not like I would have read them. I just like having the option.

    There's a book at my library called 100 Places to Go Before They Disappear. I'm not going to read it because it will probably piss me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'm more worried about the possibility of seeing everything interesting there is to see BEFORE I die. I'd rather die with my sense of wonder intact, than die bored.
    Kant wrote on something called the Noumenal. It contrasts directly against the Phenomenal. The phenomenal is limited by its expression in our universe. The noumenal is limitless by definition, it is definition. It is the transcendent aspect to reality.

    I feel for you, @EJCC. I collect relative to the Noumenal. I know there is an aspect of limitation to universe, to three-dimensional expression. I have seen the borders. And its limits scare me.

  8. #47388
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'm more worried about the possibility of seeing everything interesting there is to see BEFORE I die. I'd rather die with my sense of wonder intact, than die bored.
    I wouldn't worry about that. To me having a sense of wonder however is basically defined as being interested in or capable to generate an interest in an endless number of things. So per definition, if you have a sense of wonder you will never get bored or run out of interesting new things to find out. There are so many facts and concrete objects in the past and so much is being produced/generated while you are exploring that and even if you knew all the knowable facts there would still be so many options of combining and recombining them to new theories, explanations and stories!

    It is absolute hybris to assume that you will be through learning all there is to be learned (or everything interesting as long as your definition of interesting is not excessively narrow!) before your time on earth is over.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  9. #47389
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'm more worried about the possibility of seeing everything interesting there is to see BEFORE I die. I'd rather die with my sense of wonder intact, than die bored.
    What an odd thing to worry about.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

  10. #47390
    literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    What an odd thing to worry about.
    Reminds me of that futurama episode where the professor says everything has been invented.


    Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can


Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread
    By Giggly in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 837
    Last Post: Today, 02:36 AM
  2. [NT] Random thought thread (NT version)
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO