User Tag List

Page 4227 of 6770 FirstFirst ... 322737274127417742174225422642274228422942374277432747275227 ... LastLast
Results 42,261 to 42,270 of 67691

Thread: Random Thought Thread

failed poetry slam career Array chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    my 1st world probs > urs.

LadyLazarus

I still kind of regret not changing my username to LittleMissAsshat.

LadyLazarus

In reality, we're all just horrendously mistyped ESFJ's.

Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You know I realized why people used to say liberals were "affected" and conservative people authentic (note that this is no longer considered true in our country anyway, but it was with the more traditional Republican party and 60s-80s liberals) ....

I used to wonder what the hell that meant. Like they thought liberals only hold their beliefs so they can be pretentious, snobby or elite?

Then I felt my own experience, a quiet painful experience, of being raised with a small town conservative narrative and the larger Republican 80s narrative in my pop culture childhood, and feeling that despair of no longer believing the narrative. Like not being able to love your own story, not being able to authentically enjoy the things of your tribe.

There's a sadness maybe not for everyone but for me, in not being able to love Wendy's hamburger without cynicism, or claim my Southern heritage without a lengthy explanation.

It's not at all affectation but I can see why outsiders could think that.

No, it's much more real than that. I wish I could believe the fairy tale, and sometimes I wonder what it's like to be an adult who does. Is it more peaceful that way? Or is it its own trap?
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

LadyLazarus

Aaah there was just a kind of big earthquake, my house was rocking back and forth and my family(except my sister who was already under the door frame within like 5 seconds) was just sitting there until I was like "earthquake!" and that finally made them move for some reason.

I have no idea why my parents get so shell shocked about them anymore really.

Especially my dad, he once left me inside a convenience store when I was 7 during an earthquake, 'cause he panicked and just ran out without me.

Senior Member Array Grand Admiral Crunch's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    You know I realized why people used to say liberals were "affected" and conservative people authentic (note that this is no longer considered true in our country anyway, but it was with the more traditional Republican party and 60s-80s liberals) ....

I used to wonder what the hell that meant. Like they thought liberals only hold their beliefs so they can be pretentious, snobby or elite?

Then I felt my own experience, a quiet painful experience, of being raised with a small town conservative narrative and the larger Republican 80s narrative in my pop culture childhood, and feeling that despair of no longer believing the narrative. Like not being able to love your own story, not being able to authentically enjoy the things of your tribe.

There's a sadness maybe not for everyone but for me, in not being able to love Wendy's hamburger without cynicism, or claim my Southern heritage without a lengthy explanation.

It's not at all affectation but I can see why outsiders could think that.

No, it's much more real than that. I wish I could believe the fairy tale, and sometimes I wonder what it's like to be an adult who does. Is it more peaceful that way? Or is it its own trap?
    I grew up in one of those Southern religious communities. Even had a Baptist university in town, so the normal Southern experience was heightened. I didn't perceive canned sermons or any of the crap these people did as real or positive. I hated their values being shoved down my throat all the time. Then, I prayed for something. I did this on two separate occassions, asking God for something specific that would be miraculous for me. In exchange, I promised to believe in God. And I got exactly what I prayed for, and so I was trying to keep my promise...

I didn't get around to it right away. I had college and goals. I started reading Myers Briggs info then and wondered what the crap they were talking about saying that I was spiritual. I hadn't had many experiences that felt spiritual.

After college, I went down a hole of religious information but fun stuff. It took a long time to get there (I'll spare you the details), but I had some experiences that felt otherworldly and finally felt saved, validated Jesus, and feel like things are settled now (in some ways). But what the churches offer seems to be a delusion, like they go to church on Sunday gettign them that pass into heaven so they can do whatever they want the rest of the time.

Anyways, I think I know where you're coming from. I've felt like I needed to explain my Southern background too, especially since my parents are from the North. But overall, I like my story (it's more interesting than this, but I'll spare you). Not many other people are interested. They act weirded out and it's awful because I'm not trying to come on strong and I know what they're thinking because I've been on the other side of such stuff.

I didn't mean to be preachy, but I do think that an INFP can have a lot of fun with the bible. I like how it makes the pieces of almost everything fit together - politics, world events, day to day living. The fairy tale is much nicer for me. I think if it weren't real, I'd rather live my life believing it was.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    I grew up in one of those Southern religious communities. Even had a Baptist university in town, so the normal Southern experience was heightened. I didn't perceive canned sermons or any of the crap these people did as real or positive. I hated their values being shoved down my throat all the time. Then, I prayed for something. I did this on two separate occassions, asking God for something specific that would be miraculous for me. In exchange, I promised to believe in God. And I got exactly what I prayed for, and so I was trying to keep my promise...

I didn't get around to it right away. I had college and goals. I started reading Myers Briggs info then and wondered what the crap they were talking about saying that I was spiritual. I hadn't had many experiences that felt spiritual.

After college, I went down a hole of religious information but fun stuff. It took a long time to get there (I'll spare you the details), but I had some experiences that felt otherworldly and finally felt saved, validated Jesus, and feel like things are settled now (in some ways). But what the churches offer seems to be a delusion, like they go to church on Sunday gettign them that pass into heaven so they can do whatever they want the rest of the time.

Anyways, I think I know where you're coming from. I've felt like I needed to explain my Southern background too, especially since my parents are from the North. But overall, I like my story (it's more interesting than this, but I'll spare you). Not many other people are interested. They act weirded out and it's awful because I'm not trying to come on strong and I know what they're thinking because I've been on the other side of such stuff.

I didn't mean to be preachy, but I do think that an INFP can have a lot of fun with the bible. I like how it makes the pieces of almost everything fit together - politics, world events, day to day living. The fairy tale is much nicer for me. I think if it weren't real, I'd rather live my life believing it was.
    Oh I believe in the power of prayer and faith, that's fairly universal and not just Christian. I indubitably believe in the power of faith and the universe, and date spiritual agnostics, and one spiritual atheist/Buddhist, so that is not what I mean by the fairy tale.

I mean how delightful it must be to be genuinely in sympatico with capitalism, Nabisco, my Barbie dreamhouse, Abercrombie, and all the details about trucks, guns and mah babies.

It's bizarre because I will protect these people to the death- defending their property, guns, and paranoid backwoods beliefs, because I am paranoid and backwoods too, just about different things.

I want to believe in the system and the superiority of hard work and personal responsibility and everything Depeche Mode ironically reminds me of, because they seem rather liberal.

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    does anyone else here associate periods/seasons of time in your life with the music you listened to at that time? Whenever I listen to certain things it's like all the imagery comes back.
    SO MUCH. And smells. Like if I use the lotion I used regularly during a certain time period it all comes back.
    “We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.” - Leslie Knope

"Nothing lasts forever, some things aren't meant to be. But you'll never find the answers 'til you set your old heart free."

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    SO MUCH. And smells. Like if I use the lotion I used regularly during a certain time period it all comes back.
    Oh yes me too. Hi. Like your avatar.

What does your name mean?

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma