User Tag List

Page 4084 of 6772 FirstFirst ... 308435843984403440744082408340844085408640944134418445845084 ... LastLast
Results 40,831 to 40,840 of 67712

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

If you like vegan food and think you can eat more of it than if you include non-vegan food, go for it. According to science, though, the way to gain the healthy kind of weight is to eat more than the amount of calories your body needs, including enough protein, and also lift heavy things. Protein is important-- at least a gram per pound of lean body mass per day. Doesn't matter whether or not you eat meat/animal products or not (calories are calories and protein is protein) but many of them are very good sources of protein and it can be difficult to get that much protein from vegan sources without considerable planning ahead. Carbs and fat are also important though, since you will have better energy to lift heavy things if you're getting enough of them as well. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Quite a bit of diet dogma out there. Veganism is valid as a religion/belief system if you're into that kind of thing but there's not a lot of science supporting it as being any healthier. You can eat plenty of crap and get skinny-fat on a vegan diet too.

Senior Member Array

I should have bought new clothes a looooooooong time ago.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I should have bought new clothes a looooooooong time ago.
    Did you just use the gift cards you got for Christmas?

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    Did you just use the gift cards you got for Christmas?
    Nope, money out of my pocket. I should put the Visa gift card my sister bought me in my wallet because I still haven't touched it.

Glycerine

It's pointless to try to prove yourself to others. Once you convince people of something, they tend to be closed off to any new possibilities in the future. People are strange and project onto things much more than they are willing to admit.... I see this constantly on the forum in the form of "advice" even if it isn't all that tailored to the OP. If the OP dares to knock down the advice of the general populace, then the OP is seen as a troll or stupid through overt and veiled insults. Maybe they are a troll or stupid but most of the time, we don't know the full story. I find it to be a fascinating dynamic.

I am totally guilty of it too.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If you like vegan food and think you can eat more of it than if you include non-vegan food, go for it. According to science, though, the way to gain the healthy kind of weight is to eat more than the amount of calories your body needs, including enough protein, and also lift heavy things. Protein is important-- at least a gram per pound of lean body mass per day. Doesn't matter whether or not you eat meat/animal products or not (calories are calories and protein is protein) but many of them are very good sources of protein and it can be difficult to get that much protein from vegan sources without considerable planning ahead. Carbs and fat are also important though, since you will have better energy to lift heavy things if you're getting enough of them as well. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Quite a bit of diet dogma out there. Veganism is valid as a religion/belief system if you're into that kind of thing but there's not a lot of science supporting it as being any healthier. You can eat plenty of crap and get skinny-fat on a vegan diet too.
    One word: beans. Vegetarian diets are usually rich in carbs too. Fats? Well there's always avocado. 22g of unsaturated fat per cup. None of that excessive amount of red meat saturated fats crap. Non-meat (and non-dairy) diets are usually lower in cholesterol too. Soy milk for instance has no cholesterol whearas cows milk has some. Vegetarians and vegans also get fiber more easily, since basically everything we eat for survival is full of it. I hate when people think that all vegetarians and vegans eat is broccoli and pasta or something. Vegetarians can still eat eggs too, it's filled with protein! Even meat-eating bodybuilders view it as more essential than various meats. I don't wanna start a fight because you seem like a nice guy and I'm sick to death of arguing about this and I don't have a problem with people in person eating meat, I'm just trying to give you the right idea! Try googling vegetarian or vegan bodybuilding, you'll find out. Not that I'm the slightest interested in bodybuilding though. Also there's the whole environmental factor to eating meat too, one of the reasons a lot of schools in Sweden are serving only completely vegetarian food once a week. (they always have vegetarian alternatives but they put it on the main dish so to say). Slowly I think governments (especially developed ones) are discouraging meat more and more.
    4w5-9w1-5w4

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

@Noll, I am not a guy, for one thing. Aside from that, I know plenty about nutrition, thanks anyway. I don't know where you got the idea I think vegans only eat broccoli and pasta considering I said it didn't matter whether he was vegan or not, he just needed to get enough calories and protein (which I acknowledged can come from a vegan diet with planning). Eggs are awesome, but they're in no way vegan. Believe me, I've been a vegan and a vegetarian in the past myself, I know what it is and what it's not.

I'm not interested in a fight, either, just putting the science out there. I get really sick of the "clean food" orthorexia movement. People need to stop assigning moral value to foods.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

@Noll, I am not a guy, for one thing. Aside from that, I know plenty about nutrition, thanks anyway. I don't know where you got the idea I think vegans only eat broccoli and pasta considering I said it didn't matter whether he was vegan or not, he just needed to get enough calories and protein (which I acknowledged can come from a vegan diet with planning). Eggs are awesome, but they're in no way vegan. Believe me, I've been a vegan and a vegetarian in the past myself, I know what it is and what it's not.

I'm not interested in a fight, either, just putting the science out there. I get really sick of the "clean food" orthorexia movement. People need to stop assigning moral value to foods.
    ^ this. i try to give my body what it needs, but that whole movement drives people to extremes.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

I apologize for assuming you're a guy, and if you read my post correctly you would have known that I never claimed eggs to be vegan. Assigning moral value to foods is perfectly reasonable, why wouldn't it be?
    4w5-9w1-5w4

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Sigh. I did read your post correctly but eggs are completely irrelevant since Ukon said he was going to be vegan, not vegetarian. Assigning moral value to foods is a major source of eating disorders.