User Tag List

Page 4021 of 6782 FirstFirst ... 302135213921397140114019402040214022402340314071412145215021 ... LastLast
Results 40,201 to 40,210 of 67818

Thread: Random Thought Thread

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I followed the link from that image. I don't know if the author realizes that I (and I assume so many others like me) have found multiple profiles pretty close to that. It is horrifying that people message such profiles, but it's not like they are particularly rare.
    I don't message profiles like that. However, I have become reluctant to message profiles of people who are intelligent but insecure. That usually just ends up being a waste of time. No, I'm not impressed by the fact that you take bong hits in between writing Dragonriders of Pern fan fiction.

(I don't object to the fan fiction, I object to the bong hit because the inferior Fe motivation behind that is so transparent. I know exactly what that is about. Personally speaking, I'd rather form bonds with people by being interesting or funny than "edgy". "Edgy" is actually incredibly safe. A lot of normal people start to get over the need to appear "edgy" by their late twenties, anyway. )

I'd say curiosity and self-esteem have become more important to me than encyclopedic knowledge.
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    There should not be a drawn by repetition rule in chess. Had him in a complete fucking vice and he wiggled out of it.
    http://www.chess.com/echess/game?id=81562812
    Whoa, that sucks. Dude should've just resigned

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

Terrible singing of terrible songs *gives self lobotomy*

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Ugh, party drugs, they're a completely appropriate way of ringing in the New Year. But I just can't deal with the after effects. It's not dramatic bad stuff, just the feeling of being off for days after. No more, till 2015.

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

I'm thinking I need to go to the movies more cuz i actually pay attention to the movie. because what happens is I sit in the middle and people surround me and so I don't want to be rude and block someone's view or climb over people so I'm like eh, might aswell watch the movie. vs home I turn on a movie watch five minutes go do something else walk around the house a few dozen times and i don't pause it and so i end up not knowing what i watched was about.

Senior Member Array

I think my bed is too comfortable.

WhoCares

Why did the forces of the universe create ugly people? Are we just a foil for the better looking ones to make them look even more so? Its not like all pretty people are stupid or ugly people smart. There doesn't seem to be any compensation in life for having genes no one else wants. I once believed in the inherent beauty of all people. These days looking in the mirror, I wonder about that belief.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I read the article. It rather resembles my own experience on OKCupid, at least based on the fact that most men who write me, will write me without bothering to read my profile. However, looking at the numbers of men who wrote to her fake profile... it makes me glad I'm not a model.

One thing strikes me after reading the article. The author seems to be missing a key point in what's going on. She keeps writing increasingly horrible stuff both in the profile and the messages, and is perplexed at why men keep trying to meet her anyway. There's actually a very simple explanation.

They are not taking her seriously.

It's a thing, btw, men not taking women seriously. Women, too. It's culturally conditioned, and most people do it without realizing it. What the article's author is seeing is just a more obvious/extreme manifestation.

All the men who wrote her thought she was hot, and instantly formed/projected an idea of what a "hot woman" is onto this imaginary person. Anything they can even remotely positively construe, they did. Anything they couldn't they simply dismissed. When she is suggesting she will give the men a mermaid tattoo or pull out their teeth, they are thinking it's a joke, and dismissing it. They are a little confused at what she is saying there, but what they think is going on is a hot woman joking/playing some confusing game, and if they just persevere and keep playing, they might get to have sex with her. The very fact that she keeps talking to them makes them think they have a chance to put their dick in her (especially given that most women on a dating site simply ignore most messages they receive, so ANY reply at all is construed as encouragement).

I'm not saying that the author is wrong about the unfathomable stupidity of her audience. I'm just saying there's a factor she isn't considering. The men she is talking to ARE thinking with their penis, but they are dealing with a lot less horribleness than she thinks she's putting out there, and are simply dismissing the rest. Had they actually believed she was 100% dead serious about everything she said in her profile and messages, they would probably buzz off much sooner, but there's really no chance of that.
    Last edited by two cents; 01-06-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: included original quote
    And that's my two cents on the subject.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I once believed in the inherent beauty of all people. These days looking in the mirror, I wonder about that belief.
    Hey, I once believed the same thing! I believed that if I couldn't see it, then it was my problem and I just had to look harder.

Boy was I wrong.

I'm not sure that looking in the mirror should be shaking your confidence, no matter how ugly you think you are. I'm not going to try to contradict you -- I don't know what you look like, and besides, even if my opinion happens to differ, that doesn't change your own beauty standards or appearance. Inner beauty, however, IS a thing. Maybe you have some of that.

HOWEVER, lacking outer beauty doesn't automatically endow one with inner beauty. And NOT everyone has it. In fact, I'm starting to think it's even more rare than physical beauty. But maybe that's just me.
    And that's my two cents on the subject.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by two cents View Post
    I read the article. It rather resembles my own experience on OKCupid, at least based on the fact that most men who write me, will write me without bothering to read my profile. However, looking at the numbers of men who wrote to her fake profile... it makes me glad I'm not a model.

One thing strikes me after reading the article. The author seems to be missing a key point in what's going on. She keeps writing increasingly horrible stuff both in the profile and the messages, and is perplexed at why men keep trying to meet her anyway. There's actually a very simple explanation.

They are not taking her seriously.
    That's part of it. But I'm about to get even more cynical on your ass. I propose that if an identically "hot" profile was constructed, for a woman who actually appeared to have, like a soul, or a smidgin of intellect, said profile would receive LESS attention.

/has not conducted this experiment
    /yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.