User Tag List

Page 3696 of 6781 FirstFirst ... 269631963596364636863694369536963697369837063746379641964696 ... LastLast
Results 36,951 to 36,960 of 67805

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xxTP

I sometimes wonder, why do so many people return repeatedly to a forum to upset themselves with a series of pixels on a screen, that they can eliminate from their life simply by closing the tab.

The minds capacity to torture the body which hosts it, is unlimited, much of this forum is just one tiny but succinct manifestation of that.

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    I sometimes wonder, why do so many people return repeatedly to a forum to upset themselves with a series of pixels on a screen, that they can eliminate from their life simply by closing the tab.

The minds capacity to torture the body which hosts it, is unlimited, much of this forum is just one tiny but succinct manifestation of that.
    That's what I have been doing for years. I think people want to best and overcome their source of frustration, tie up a loose end and leave it behind. Unfortunately they can't avoid one last bout even after they were supposed to leave the place behind and the whole process begins anew.

Source: My experience with this site (and ten years of others.)

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Array Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

Four, five years ago, I had a teacher who was in her sixties. She called herself a feminist and I think half of the classes she gave, put feminism and all its aspects in the spotlight. She always told about what it was like to be young back in her day, when everyone used to be a hippie and stuff. I remember something about that era, it was something about public nudity and being all open and stuff about sexuality that was very progressive. I remember that teacher always telling how it would be better if young people these days were acting a bit like back then - being less aggressive and more openly sexual. She also never wore a bra, I guess that has something to do with it too.

Maybe that's why I don't understand the fuss about Blurred Lines - because I actually associate all the 'anti-feminist' things people seem to complain about with the kind of feminism my feminist teacher taught us about. I also never associated the lyrics with rape, like many internet people seem to do. If you asked me what the song was about the first time, I would have said it was about a guy who's flirting with a girl who's just about to start a relationship with a very boring dude (and this guy is kind of having second thoughts about it because she seems like a good girl, but the girl is starting to realize the guy she's dating is really boring and now she feels like she needs to escape). Oh well, maybe even feminism got prudish over the last decades.
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    Four, five years ago, I had a teacher who was in her sixties. She called herself a feminist and I think half of the classes she gave, put feminism and all its aspects in the spotlight. She always told about what it was like to be young back in her day, when everyone used to be a hippie and stuff. I remember something about that era, it was something about public nudity and being all open and stuff about sexuality that was very progressive. I remember that teacher always telling how it would be better if young people these days were acting a bit like back then - being less aggressive and more openly sexual. She also never wore a bra, I guess that has something to do with it too.

Maybe that's why I don't understand the fuss about Blurred Lines - because I actually associate all the 'anti-feminist' things people seem to complain about with the kind of feminism my feminist teacher taught us about. I also never associated the lyrics with rape, like many internet people seem to do. If you asked me what the song was about the first time, I would have said it was about a guy who's flirting with a girl who's just about to start a relationship with a very boring dude (and this guy is kind of having second thoughts about it because she seems like a good girl, but the girl is starting to realize the guy she's dating is really boring and now she feels like she needs to escape). Oh well, maybe even feminism got prudish over the last decades.
    To be honest, it just shows how vague some of these terms are. Many such "feminist" people (who seem to be equally men and women) to me appear to be disguised puritans.

I think the dysfunction comes first (repressed personality) and then according to their general inclination, the person can also become a PC killjoy or a religious right killjoy.

Senior Member Array Mitsuko Souma's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    LIE

I'm back for now...

Ice Cream Fi Gleam

Actual name of a program on tv
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I highly recommend walking into a high school party with four men over the age of 25. The discomfort is palpable and delicious.

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    I listened to an interesting radio discussion about "Blurred Lines" (I may have even linked it in a past post, but if I did I can't find it). On one 'side' (I am loath to say 'side' because I don't think it's fair to characterize the programme as a 'debate') was NPR's editor for hip-hop and R&B content (can't remember her name at the moment; Frannie something) and on the other 'side' was a CBC music editor. The guest from NPR's point of view was that the song lyrics could be construed as being sexist, however a lot of the lyrics were things that might be said in a couple's bedroom. "That's SEX!" she exclamed. "[Talking dirty] is what consensual sex is like!"

The most blurry part of "Blurred Lines" is whether the title of the song refers to confusion over whether someone is showing genuine sexual interest in someone else, or whether it's about consent in and of itself.

I think a lot of the fuss has to do with the music video. The fact that there is an 'uncensored' version at all is controversial. I hadn't seen the 'NSFW' version of the video until after I had heard this radio discussion and, given some of the imagery in the video, the controversy/uproar/fuss made more sense to me. The 'SFW' version was just a stupid video for a pop song not unlike many other hip-hop and R&B videos before it. The NSFW took everything that was silly or obnoxious about the SFW version and made it even sillier and obnoxious. Imagery like a miniature stop sign perched atop a naked model's bum lends a lot of credence to people who think the song is 'rapey'.

The radio discussion touched on the models' participation in the shooting of the music video, and Frannie whatsherface put forward the argument that they knew what they were getting into, and it would probably be good for these women's careers. Coincidentally I heard a small blurb of entertainment news on the radio last week which mentioned that the white brunette, Emily R-something-kowski, had got a new gig in some movie. I guess Frannie wasn't wrong, but it's pretty hard to not see the misogyny in that she got a career boost by taking part in a music video shoot where she danced in a nude-coloured g-string around fully-clothed men who were saying lyrics like "I'll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two".

Shake snake shake..

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Ice Cream Fi Gleam

Actual name of a program on tv
    What's it about?