User Tag List

Page 3687 of 6783 FirstFirst ... 268731873587363736773685368636873688368936973737378741874687 ... LastLast
Results 36,861 to 36,870 of 67825

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Ughh

Yeah, majorly effed up. I remember the first time I learned about skin bleach as a beauty product. I wanted to sell all of my belongings and devote myself to the cause of bringing the beauty industry down right there and then. It was their last straw as far as I was concerned.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Yeah, majorly effed up. I remember the first time I learned about skin bleach as a beauty product. I wanted to sell all of my belongings and devote myself to the cause of bringing the beauty industry down right there and then. It was their last straw as far as I was concerned.
    Yeah. I heard about it a while ago but just started browsing due to some people online wonderng if the new Miss America was too dark to be beautiful by Indian standards. Sadly this also goes beyond selling cosmetics. Apparently you have a hard time getting a job or finding a spouse if you aren't light enough. This goes for women even more so than for men. And what fascinates me is that they consider some people "dark" who are still fair skinned in my book - and I'm from Europe! The beauty ideal seems to be a rococo duchess with lead poisoning.

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

girl with a pretty smile Array Honor's Avatar
    Enneagram
    1w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Preach, sister. *Puts hand up in air*
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Yeah. I heard about it a while ago but just started browsing due to some people online wonderng if the new Miss America was too dark to be beautiful by Indian standards. Sadly this also goes beyond selling cosmetics. Apparently you have a hard time getting a job or finding a spouse if you aren't light enough. This goes for women even more so than for men. And what fascinates me is that they consider some people "dark" who are still fair skinned in my book - and I'm from Europe! The beauty ideal seems to be a rococo duchess with lead poisoning.

^ whatta hottie
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

I think people who arent white looking pale is unattractive and people who're white trying to look black is equally unattractive too.

I like the red headed scots women but I sort of like that because I think they are being true to type if you know what I mean. They cant be anything other than what they are because they freckle they dont tan.

Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None

And to top it off, a bunch of racist American fucks caused a stir too- http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/09/16/...-racist-slurs/

On the bright side...Gordon's gin <3 You're like an old friend, history full of baggage included.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    it's raining, fuck you in the ass with a spikey dildo rain.
    I stayed at the office tonight until about 7 o'clock, and guess what? It was pouring rain when I left! I had no jacket or anything so I had to walk in the rain to get to my car.

Senior Member Array

I listened to an interesting radio programme a few months ago (I may have even posted it somewhere on these forums, but I can't find it in a search of my posts) about how advertising uses shame to encourage people to buy products. In essence a 'problem' is created, and the advertisement offers a "product solution". One of the examples they gave was underarm deodorants and anti-perspirants, which didn't become popular until the 20th century after ad campaigns successfully convinced the consuming populace that underarm odour was embarrassing and a sign of poor health.

It was the same with mouthwash. Listerine had been used as all sorts of things: floor cleaner, surgical antiseptic, even a gonorrhea treatment, but it didn't become popular until the 1920s when it was advertised as a mouthwash to 'cure' chronic halitosis. Halitosis was a very obscure medical term until then but Listerine popularized it, and through advertising made millions of dollars by promising to cure this medical condition. Before then "bad breath" was just a fact of life, it wasn't considered a 'problem' at all.

The sad irony is that no scientific study has shown that Listerine can cure halitosis at all. It will kill germs but it doesn't actually make the underlying causes of halitosis go away. It just makes your breath smell minty for a few minutes.

So, just as Speed Stick is your 'cure' for having embarrassing body odour whitening creams are a 'cure' for dark-skinned people who would look 'healthier' if they were paler. And tanning beds and 'bronzing' creams are a 'cure' for pale-skinned people who would look 'healthier' if they had 'beautiful' olive skin.

garbage

I usually drink two cups of coffee. Yesterday, I felt like I needed a third. Turns out that that was because it was decaf

garbage

Ughh
    A-yup. In Taiwan, lots of ads had ladies with whited-out skin (bleached, photoshopped, etc.) and rounder eyes.

Beauty fucked-upness knows no cultural bounds.