User Tag List

Page 3669 of 6774 FirstFirst ... 266931693569361936593667366836693670367136793719376941694669 ... LastLast
Results 36,681 to 36,690 of 67734

Thread: Random Thought Thread

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    Music and literature, a way to live another life within your mind. You can be anybody you want, take on another guise. Your rules, your way. Or is it when we take this guise that we become who we really are? This persona we show to the outside world. Is the persona the mask we wear, or is the guise the mask we wear? Duality is within us.
    A little different spin on that same idea:

I was reading an article that calls great literature “morally subversive.” For example Lionel Trilling said of modernist literature that it "asks every question that is forbidden in polite society. It asks us if we are content with our marriages, with our family lives, with our professional lives, with our friends."

In the article, the author makes the argument that great literature shouldn’t be taught in school, because great literature is too personal and too alien for the classroom. Teaching lit in the classroom flattens literature and drains it of blood.

I think there’s some hyperbole in that position.

But I like the article’s portrayal of literature as something outside the domain of the usual, a bridge into alternate lives.

The same could be said of music, of course. I remember when a high-school English Studies teacher read aloud the lyrics of a Jimi Hendrix song and asked the class to analyze what the song was about. It damn near killed that song in my head forever to hear it read so flatly and prosaically by a teacher who was just filling a requirement to make her classes more “relevant” to modern culture.

Link to the article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...296798048.html

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Hello listeners. To start things off I’ve been asked to read this brief notice:

The city council announces the opening of a new dog park at the corner of Earl and Somerset near the Ralph’s. They would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. People are not allowed in the dog park. It is possible you will see hooded figures in the dog park. Do not approach them. Do not approach the dog park. The fence is electrified and highly dangerous. Try not to look at the dog park, and especially do not look for any period of time at the hooded figures. The dog park will not harm you.

And now the news.
    ^
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

figsfiggyfigs

Day started out rough. I hope it gets better.

Sometimes I think people I've interacted with often have been talking about me or have their own personal injoke going on, I think that because I've done that myself, especially when I worked in the service sector (a supermarket) but I wish it wouldnt get in the way of what the purpose of my speaking to them is, usually to get coffee.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have way too much crap on my desktop (both my actual desktop and my computer desktop).
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array

Can we just cancel Friday this week and skip ahead to Saturday?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

Can we just cancel Friday this week and skip ahead to Saturday?
    Sounds good to me!

My blog:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Does anybody here have any experience travelling in India?

Is it better to book a round tour in a group or can you do it individually as a single female traveler if you stick to the Golden Triangle? If you recommend booking a package, would you suggest booking it in your homecountry or directly from an Indian provider?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Does anybody here have any experience travelling in India?

Is it better to book a round tour in a group or can you do it individually as a single female traveler if you stick to the Golden Triangle? If you recommend booking a package, would you suggest booking it in your homecountry or directly from an Indian provider?
    While some female travelers do just fine traveling alone in India, I just wouldn't take the chance if I were you. While my intuition tells me that you wouldn't attract undue attention even as a white woman, I really don't recommend going without having a support/emergency contact network that can actually help you on the ground if something happens. The number of crimes against women in India are on the rise; I don't ever travel alone myself, I go on trips only when I have a friend or two with me.

I have don't have much experience with tour packages though. My guess is that they are hugely variable in quality, particularly anything you'd book directly from an Indian provider. Some might be outstanding while others would just look for ways to part you from your money. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Anyway, I think a tour would definitely be helpful for Delhi at least ... the historic parts of town are stunning but they also jostle with some pretty rough neighborhoods ... yeah, I wouldn't venture into Old Delhi alone. Someone will try to pick your pocket for sure.

Also, get in touch if you do end up going, who knows, I might be in the area.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't wanna have drop-in advising today.

My blog: