User Tag List

Page 3648 of 6772 FirstFirst ... 264831483548359836383646364736483649365036583698374841484648 ... LastLast
Results 36,471 to 36,480 of 67713

Thread: Random Thought Thread

I don't like to go on about my self doubt, but there are times when I feel it so strongly and I become so frozen, it becomes a self-fufiling prophecy. And then I have to try to explain whats hindering me those who have no inkling of my whole wretched internal theater.

Once when I was struggling with some higher math, the tutor who helped me the most was a person like family, and together we could just leisurely hang out while I did my work. With this special person, I felt no hesitation about asking for help. He later said that I knew everything, I got the concepts, all I needed throughout the process of figuring out the problems was someone encouraging me, someone I didn't feel like I was burdening. Once I had that traction, I was able to surprise myself.

Its not like I'm always seeking external validation. My own sense of propriety steers me away from seeming too needy. But a little praise can go far. Truthfully, I'm so in my own head, it can resemble a ship in the fog, hoping to spot some lighthouse signal.

If anything, I would want to be the kind of encourager of others which I myself would like to have.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I like to mix it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

I wonder if anyone else sees or reads the "failed by the system" stuff and thinks "not even with magic could the system have done otherwise" in this instance.

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

STUPID HUNKS! I AM SO TIRED OF BEING SURROUNDED BY STUPID HUNKS!
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Some very nice ladies have no use for hunks.

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I don't like to go on about my self doubt, but there are times when I feel it so strongly and I become so frozen, it becomes a self-fufiling prophecy. And then I have to try to explain whats hindering me those who have no inkling of my whole wretched internal theater.

Once when I was struggling with some higher math, the tutor who helped me the most was a person like family, and together we could just leisurely hang out while I did my work. With this special person, I felt no hesitation about asking for help. He later said that I knew everything, I got the concepts, all I needed throughout the process of figuring out the problems was someone encouraging me, someone I didn't feel like I was burdening. Once I had that traction, I was able to surprise myself.

Its not like I'm always seeking external validation. My own sense of propriety steers me away from seeming too needy. But a little praise can go far. Truthfully, I'm so in my own head, it can resemble a ship in the fog, hoping to spot some lighthouse signal.

If anything, I would want to be the kind of encourager of others which I myself would like to have.

Encouragement is a delicate thing. (Complimenting too.) It's tough to give it meaningfully without sounding disingenuous, or worse. Often I find people give encouragement in a sort of childish, saccharine way (e.g. "Hang in there, champ!") that makes me feel like I'm being pandered or condescended to rather than helped. Of course that has a lot to do with doubting myself, probably more than it does genuinely doubting others' motives. I'm almost certainly guilty of doing the same sort of thing to others. When someone's clearly feeling sad or 'down' my first instinct is to ask "Why so glum, chum?", in those exact words. It's kind of childish and stupid but I'd rather ask with a bit of levity than ask with a melodramatic tone. I feel like bringing levity to the situation shows that it's possible to be in better spirits; I just hope that it doesn't swing the other way and seem as though I treat the situation too casually and don't really care.

I don't know if anyone can fully understand how or why anyone else feels self-doubt. It can be very difficult—painful even— trying to explain, and when people don't understand (and they never seem to) my first thought is "If only they knew 'the real me'." I've come to learn that other people are a lot more perceptive than I gave them credit for, and the reason that they don't see anything wrong with me (at least in whatever respect it is that's bothering me) is not because it doesn't show. I'm not so adept at compartmentalizing or hiding my feelings that they can't tell that there's something wrong with me. It doesn't show because it's not there.

As you said it becomes self-fulfilling; the answer to the question "What's the matter with me?" is the question itself. You might feel "But if only people knew 'the real me'!" Most people would probably not find anything 'wrong'.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

what does it mean (if anything) when random things keep catching your eye and you have to look at them...and it's nothing...it's the red on the book on the bookshelf or the light reflecting of the silver microwave in the other room...or the doorknob...just all day long weird completely unimportant things.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    what does it mean (if anything) when random things keep catching your eye and you have to look at them...and it's nothing...it's the red on the book on the bookshelf or the light reflecting of the silver microwave in the other room...or the doorknob...just all day long weird completely unimportant things.
    Your Se has just hatched?
    These are token items you use to distinguish a dream from reality? (See the movie Inception.)

But really, I find myself doing this when I'm sleepy or depressed.

I just blew up some marine fish parasites using osmosis!

Spreadsheet Samurai Array Alaska's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wonder if anyone else sees or reads the "failed by the system" stuff and thinks "not even with magic could the system have done otherwise" in this instance.
    It has always been a point of conflict between what I wanted to believe and what actually played out before my eyes. At this point in my life, I sometimes do conclude that after a read of the facts. It's a matter of thinking about what "failed by the system" implies rather than just stopping at the initial empathetic feelings and being threatened by anything that questions them. Does it mean that the person couldn't have made it without the system? Did they objectively not have what it takes to survive without a civilized outer source to fill it in? Did they have the ability to make it, but were blocked from accessing it by something beyond or within their control? What is the real duty of this assumed support system that failed a person, and how flexible is that duty in response to people's situations and the causes of them?

Does suffering, on merit of being painful and above all other considerations, morally obligate the alleviation of it as soon as possible, by whatever means necessary? It's not just a question for innocent little girls to bump into. It's also a question we deal with on a great scale, that cultures vacillate over and mediate.
    4w5 6w7 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]