User Tag List

Page 3646 of 6782 FirstFirst ... 264631463546359636363644364536463647364836563696374641464646 ... LastLast
Results 36,451 to 36,460 of 67816

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I'm still trying to figure that out. He seems to be a big fan of Saint Augustine, so I guess he was a heavy influence. He doesn't seem to believe in the big bang theory (which is reasonable), and he once replied to this Dawkins video on facebook saying ex nihilo nihil fit (a general principle that says "nothing comes from nothing", {lawyers love latin}).

When I alluded to the ethical bizarreness of the Bible, he said that the Old Testament was sort of a sketch, so the New Testament was the 'real thing'. He recommended this book.
    That certainly does not make him look very smart.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    That certainly does not make him look very smart.
    Where did he fail? I'm not a Bible expert.

It's not like I've found a catholic with better arguments for why the Bible states that the rapist man should marry the raped woman and etc etc.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm still trying to figure that out. He seems to be a big fan of Saint Augustine, so I guess he was a heavy influence. He doesn't seem to believe in the big bang theory (which is reasonable), and he once replied to this Dawkins video on facebook saying ex nihilo nihil fit (a general principle that says "nothing comes from nothing", {lawyers love latin}).
    He has it wrong. Nothing from nothing leaves nothing.

Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

It's not like I've found a catholic with better arguments for why the Bible states that the rapist man should marry the raped woman and etc etc.
    Oh, that part actually makes sense. A raped woman lost her virginity and therefor her market value. No decent man will want a sandwich that somebody else has already chewed on. She is soiled and no longer marriage material and therefor doomed to extreme poverty unless her rapist is obliged to marry her. Unless of course your worldview and values differ from that of the ancient Middle East...

I think @Nicodemus was referring to St Augustine, the Latin quote and the weak reasoning behind it.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

One part foolish.

The Old Testament was written and revised over hundreds of years. It is as far from a sketch as a book can be. The New Testament, written over the course of a few decades by a series of revolutionaries with dubious motives, comes much closer to the definition. Both, of course, were written by mortal men without any help from above. So, he can choose to regard the OT as a sketch and the NT as the real thing, but reason could not have led him to that view. I bet he started there.

I also suspect he does not fully understand the implications of the big bang. Similarly, relying on word logic (ex nihilo nihil fit) to understand complex physical concepts or reality is generally a bad idea.

Morality is relative. Christians have a hard time accepting that; hence the absurd arguments.

I find it interesting, though, that you even tried the ethical road. Deciding whether or not something is true is not influenced by whether or not it feels good.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It fascinating, despite the simplicity of its expression, how not only how most psychological norms and dynamics held within a social context of each gender generally persist between childhood age to adulthood, but also how those same concepts manage to slightly evolve in their manifestation, while retaining the same inherent principles.

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    It fascinating, despite the simplicity of its expression, how not only how most psychological norms and dynamics held within a social context of each gender generally persist between childhood age to adulthood, but also how those same concepts manage to slightly evolve in their manifestation, while retaining the same inherent principles.
    I don't know. I don't see why norms would suddenly change upon adulthood. I really wouldn't expect them to, although you are correct that they really don't change.
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I don't know. I don't see why norms would suddenly change upon adulthood. I really wouldn't expect them to, although you are correct that they really don't change.
    I don't really expect them to change, either. Yet on the other hand I guess I'd never really devoted any amount of conscious thought towards the subject.

My post was more from a dissociative perspective, only really to say "Hey, I find it mildly interesting that X trait is really the adulthood equivalent of Y trait that most children would express in situation Z"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

A former colleague, an INTJ who used to be a diehard atheist, has recently become a Christian. Wow.

He's likely the smartest guy I know irl.
    Condolences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.