User Tag List

Page 3630 of 6769 FirstFirst ... 263031303530358036203628362936303631363236403680373041304630 ... LastLast
Results 36,291 to 36,300 of 67683

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Hey, 'merica:

A hostage situation in Ingolstadt city hall today: The bad guy was armed with a toy pistole and taken down by the police with shots in shoulder and leg. Nobody was killed.
    Word.

On the other hand, last night just around the corner from where I used to live in Dossenheim near Heidelberg a 71 year old sports shooter got into a heated argument with some other members of the sports club, went home, grabbed a weapon he legally owned, first shot two club members and injured five others and then killed himself.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ISFP

I take IQ tests to make myself feel better. I find this horribly pathetic . . . considering I haven't accomplished fuck all.
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

The NSA is like a brazen little bitch that I want to slap the shit out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Word.

On the other hand, last night just around the corner from where I used to live in Dossenheim near Heidelberg a 71 year old sports shooter got into a heated argument with some other members of the sports club, went home, grabbed a weapon he legally owned, first shot two club members and injured five others and then killed himself.
    There is no on-the-other-handness to it: Without a gun, it would not have ended like this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    There is no on-the-other-handness to it: Without a gun, it would not have ended like this.
    Agreed. I was merely trying to say that even here inconspicuous people with legal weapons sometimes run amok and actually do kill people.

One of the first vox pop reactions from men and women on the street to the incident that I saw on the news today was actually :"well, they should force sport shooters to store their guns at the club rather than at home" Try doing that in the US!

But yeah, definitely, the fewer guns around the better.

My own father (a hobby hunter at the time) shot our family dog when I was little because he thought it was suddenly attacking my baby sister in the sandbox in the garden. He was watching the scene from a window, grabbed his gun within seconds and shot the dog. My mother doubts it was justified and assumes he misjudged the situation.

I also remember a conversation between my dad and a good friend of his who had just been brutally attacked by a group of neo nazis simply because he had been wearing lederhosen in Rostock (he is a carpenter from Bavaria and a passionate sailor who had been staying at the harbor with his handbuilt yacht). My father suggested carrying a gun for protection but his friend convinced him that it was better not to because he preferred risking to get beaten up by nazis to risking to kill a human being and then carrying that on his conscience for the rest of his life.

I also heard that at least in this part of the world professional burglars do not carry arms because they want to avoid an escalation in case they get caught by an inhabitant. That way the home owner would not be legally justified (or feel the need) to use a weapon against them and nobody gets hurt.

I think statistically, if you own a gun, you are more likely to eventually use it against yourself or a loved one (accidentally or on purpose) than to use it to save yourself or somebody else from real danger.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I also remember a conversation between my dad and a good friend of his who had just been brutally attacked by a group of neo nazis simply because he had been wearing lederhosen in Rostock (he is a carpenter from Bavaria and a passionate sailor who had been staying at the harbor with his handbuilt yacht). My father suggested carrying a gun for protection but his friend convinced him that it was better not to because he preferred risking to get beaten up by nazis to risking to kill a human being and then carrying that on his conscience for the rest of his life.
    He couldn't just stop wearing lederhosen ?
    I mean. I think that's probably universally good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Knock on wood, seems like stomach has settled down and I should be able to eat something.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    872 sx/sp

Sometimes really douche-y phrases like "awash in liquidity" get stuck in my head, and I'm not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Sometimes really douche-y phrases like "awash in liquidity" get stuck in my head, and I'm not sure why.
    It was as if an occult hand had placed it there.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism