User Tag List

Page 3612 of 6785 FirstFirst ... 261231123512356236023610361136123613361436223662371241124612 ... LastLast
Results 36,111 to 36,120 of 67841

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

What the fuck is wrong with you people?!

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

I've been asking that same question for years.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I feel like walking and listening to music, but there's no place within walking distance that's attractive passing at a clip of less than 10 miles an hour.

Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    What the fuck is wrong with you people?!
    Do you really have to ask?

Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    But "ENTP" and "ENTJ" are available.

So is "NCROPHL", but I wonder if they'll let me use it...
    Where on the internet is this plate searching thingy? It sounds like fun.
    4w5 6w7 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Senior Member Array

I read this yesterday: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...esteem/278596/

It talks about how modern-day animated films are reinforcing selling the idea that you can do anything if you believe in yourself, or what the author calls "magic feather syndrome", after the "magic feather" that the eponymous flying elephant Dumbo had. Dumbo believes he can fly by virtue of the feather and is forced to fly without the feather in the film's climax, at which point he realizes he could fly all on his own, all along. The fact that elephants cannot fly isn't even glossed over, just as the cropduster in the soon-to-be-released Planes can't fly faster than a fighter jet and Turbo the snail can't move at a speed of 300 mph and win the Indianapolis 500.

As a counterpoint the author references Peanuts and the character of Charlie Brown, a melancholic character who infamously believed he was a failure and was usually proven correct.

Released in 1969, A Boy Named Charlie Brown turns the clichés of the magic-feather syndrome inside-out. It opens with Charlie Brown suffering through a string of failures: His kite crashes to the ground, his baseball team loses its 99th consecutive game, and even his toy sailboat sinks to the bottom of the bathtub. "I just can't seem to do anything right," he laments to himself. On his way to school, Lucy, Violet, and Patty taunt him with a heartless song: "You never do anything right / You never put anything in its place / No wonder everyone calls you / Failure-face." Sensing Charlie Brown's despair, Linus, his lone confidant, advises him that he's "going to have to win at something--something that will restore your lost self-confidence."

Determined to prove himself, Charlie Brown enters the school spelling bee and emerges victorious. By winning he becomes the area representative for the National Elimination Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C. Before his departure he confides to Linus, "There's a good chance that instead of being a hero I'll make a bigger fool of myself than ever." Somewhat unhelpfully, Linus responds, "Don't be discouraged, Charlie Brown. You have nothing to lose. You'll either be a hero or a goat."

Up to this point, A Boy Named Charlie Brown has largely followed a familiar pattern: The protagonist defies his doubters, improbably qualifies for a major competition, and now needs only to channel his inner strength to triumph. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that Lucy will soon disavow her initial skepticism and tell Charlie Brown at a crucial point in the competition that he's always had what it takes to win.

But that's not what happens. Instead, Charlie Brown survives to the final round (his words include unconfident, disastrous, and incompetent), and then carelessly misspells the word "beagle" while his dog Snoopy points at himself from the front row. Afterward, Charlie Brown, Linus, and Snoopy depart the theater in silence. When they're dropped off at the bus station that night, the streets are empty. "I guess nobody realized that we were returning," Linus remarks. The movie then spends an excruciating amount of time on Charlie Brown wordlessly unpacking, changing into his pajamas, and slipping beneath the covers, his eyes glazed with utter defeat.

When Charlie Brown doesn't show up for school that next day, Linus stops by his house. Still in bed with the shades pulled down, Charlie Brown tells Linus that he's never going to attempt anything again. Rather than trying again to build up Charlie Brown's self-esteem, Linus waxes philosophical: "Well, I can understand how you feel. You worked hard studying for the spelling bee, and I suppose you feel you let everyone down and you made a fool out of yourself and everything. But did you notice something, Charlie Brown?...The world didn't come to an end."

After mulling over this comment, Charlie Brown gets out of bed and ventures outside. None of his companions pay much attention to him as he strolls by. In the distance, he spots Lucy playing with a football. Just when it seems that Charlie Brown might be able to redeem himself with a small punt, Lucy pulls the football away from him, and the movie concludes with Charlie Brown flat on his back, grimacing at the camera.

Just now I saw this on Reddit: http://thischarmingcharlie.tumblr.com/

If you're not sure what it's all about, here's a clue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGnjrTkv1gs

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I read this yesterday: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...esteem/278596/

It talks about how modern-day animated films are reinforcing selling the idea that you can do anything if you believe in yourself, or what the author calls "magic feather syndrome", after the "magic feather" that the eponymous flying elephant Dumbo had. Dumbo believes he can fly by virtue of the feather and is forced to fly without the feather in the film's climax, at which point he realizes he could fly all on his own, all along. The fact that elephants cannot fly isn't even glossed over, just as the cropduster in the soon-to-be-released Planes can't fly faster than a fighter jet and Turbo the snail can't move at a speed of 300 mph and win the Indianapolis 500.

I love Charlie Brown cartoons, always have, even enough to find the sincere religiosity of the Christmas Special endearing. I sometimes enjoy Pixar films, which follow this 'magic feather' theme, but I only go out of my way to watch Miyazaki films. The themes are almost never about self, but instead about achieving type of harmony with sacrifice.

Senior Member Array

I'm a little ashamed to admit I've never seen a Miyazaki film. Several people have recommended all sorts of animé to me over the years and I've never gotten around to seeing any of it. I was thinking about this earlier today when someone mentioned Cowboy Bebop in the Film/TV Recommendation Thread.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I'm a little ashamed to admit I've never seen a Miyazaki film. Several people have recommended all sorts of animé to me over the years and I've never gotten around to seeing any of it. I was thinking about this earlier today when someone mentioned Cowboy Bebop in the Film/TV Recommendation Thread.
    While I do not consider myself a part of the fandom, I have in my time consumed large amounts of anime. Miyazaki films are just beautiful and interesting and are highly accessible to western audiences, and are really the only Japanese animated movies that I'll go out of my way to watch. The rest of Japanese animation I'll usually only enjoy in TV show format.

It's worthwhile trying some titles out, but it's kind of a minefield because not all of it is good. And not only that... most fans have very idiosyncratic tastes and make highly suspect recommendations.

Senior Member Array

The spectrum of people who've told me I might enjoy Cowboy Bebop in particular is relatively broad so at some point I'll give it a shot.

Your characterization of the 'genre' as a bit of a minefield seems spot on. A lot of it I've never had the patience for, it came across as absolute crap. *cough*Dragonball Z*cough*

I've read rave reviews about several of Miyazaki's works (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind) so I'm a little more open and optimistic about it than I would be about some random film or TV show I've never heard of that happened to be Japanese and animated.