User Tag List

Page 3597 of 6784 FirstFirst ... 259730973497354735873595359635973598359936073647369740974597 ... LastLast
Results 35,961 to 35,970 of 67836

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Temporal Mechanic. Array Lexicon's Avatar
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Well, I suspect the reasoning behind it goes something like this:

real men = good drivers
    Asian men ≠ real men
    Asian men ≠ good drivers

But then what about Asian women? Does the stereotype apply to them as well (i.e. more so than women in general?) I don't know because I only found out a few weeks ago that this stereotype about Asian drivers even exists (not sure if it only exists in North America or also elsewhere). It puzzles me.
    I wonder how Bruce Lee drove..
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I wonder how Bruce Lee drove..
    Nah, not a real man either (that's why he needed martail arts in the first place).

REAL men look like this:

I bet he's a phenomenal driver!!!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Nah, not a real man either (that's why he needed martail arts in the first place).

REAL men look like this:

I bet he's a phenomenal driver!!!

Yeah, a great driver if he never has to change lanes/turn to check his blind spot. No one could with that kind of neckmeat.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

Senior Member Array

I always assumed that was an exaggerated stereotype of Asians.. like this one:

<Mickey Rooney as "Mr. Yunioshi" from Breakfast at Tiffany's>
    I had never seen Breakfast at Tiffany's until a few years ago, and in fact I still haven't seen the whole thing. At the time I found that character, that blatantly over-the-top racist stereotype, so loathsome and cringeworthy I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of it.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I had never seen Breakfast at Tiffany's until a few years ago, and in fact I still haven't seen the whole thing. At the time I found that character, that blatantly over-the-top racist stereotype, so loathsome and cringeworthy I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of it.
    He was my favorite part, to be honest- as the portrayal was such an over-the-top caricature, so overtly absurd, I didn't think of it in terms of race, just a general exaggeration of a character stereotype, though of course I am aware of the racial undertones. It was obvious to me that it wasn't intended to be insulting to the Chinese people, by the very degree of its inanity. I figure if you are going to take that risk in cinema & illustrate a comedic portrayal of any stereotype- you pick a direction & take it all the way, as far as you can- otherwise it'd be more apt to be taken seriously. If that makes sense.

Apparently many Chinese people loved his performance in the film when it first came out, & the offended reactions have been more recent. Mickey Rooney stated that he was heartbroken over it.
    Poor Mickey.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

He was my favorite part, to be honest- as the portrayal was such an over-the-top caricature, so overtly absurd, I didn't think of it in terms of race, just a general exaggeration of a character stereotype, though of course I am aware of the racial undertones. It was obvious to me that it wasn't intended to be insulting to the Chinese people, by the very degree of its inanity.
    Apparently many Chinese people loved his performance in the film when it first came out, & the offended reactions have been more recent. Mickey Rooney stated that he was heartbroken over it.
    Poor Mickey.
    Going by the time the movie was shot and the character's last name I assume he's supposed to be Japanese .. remnants of the war and all that.

Also, an interesting parallel to blackface there - yellowface if you will. Blake Edwards had a cringeworthy preference for that - just think of "The Party".
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Going by the time the movie was shot and the character's last name I assume he's supposed to be Japanese .. remnants of the war and all that.

Also, an interesting parallel to blackface there - yellowface if you will. Blake Edwards had a cringeworthy preference for that - just think of "The Party".

yeah, I forgot to note I was referencing [in my mind] a certain interview I'd read about specifically Chinese people being offended over the general Asian stereotype Rooney was portraying. I wasn't saying necessarily that he was portraying a Chinese guy. Semantic fail on my part. I do wonder how the Japanese received it. I'm not into romantic movies, so it's been a long time since I've watched the film or really even thought much about it.

Reading over my previous post, I come off like Hank Hill. Jesus. *facepalm*

(I can't find a version that hasn't been horrendously edited, unfortunately. Stupid nerds)

Senior Member Array

He was my favorite part, to be honest- as the portrayal was such an over-the-top caricature, so overtly absurd, I didn't think of it in terms of race, just a general exaggeration of a character stereotype, though of course I am aware of the racial undertones. It was obvious to me that it wasn't intended to be insulting to the Chinese people, by the very degree of its inanity. I figure if you are going to take that risk in cinema & illustrate a comedic portrayal of any stereotype- you pick a direction & take it all the way, as far as you can- otherwise it'd be more apt to be taken seriously. If that makes sense.
    I know what you mean. You can't do satire half-heartedly.

Truth be told I found the whole movie, up to the point I stopped watching, inane.

I feel like I should give it another chance, or if not give it a chance at least I should power through it as best I can if only to say I've seen the entire thing and can better judge the entire work's merits. I did so for The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II; now I can say I've seen them, even if I thought they were horrendously boring and I would be quite happy to never see them again. (I couldn't bring myself to watch Part III.)

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I'm guessing you think this is the greatest brand of all time?
    That's the marque they used for the cars they test drove and then resold.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I know what you mean. You can't do satire half-heartedly.

Truth be told I found the whole movie, up to the point I stopped watching, inane.

I feel like I should give it another chance, or if not give it a chance at least I should power through it as best I can if only to say I've seen the entire thing and can better judge the entire work's merits. I did so for The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II; now I can say I've seen them, even if I thought they were horrendously boring and I would be quite happy to never see them again. (I couldn't bring myself to watch Part III.)
    You are dead to me.