User Tag List

Page 3530 of 6765 FirstFirst ... 253030303430348035203528352935303531353235403580363040304530 ... LastLast
Results 35,291 to 35,300 of 67645

Thread: Random Thought Thread

When I was a kid I dreamt of being a writer.

When did I forget this and why did I not bother trying to become that instead of what I'm doing now.

Epiphany

I wish protein shakes tasted like frappuccinos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

When did I forget this and why did I not bother trying to become that instead of what I'm doing now.

Because you don't put question marks at the end of your questions.

Just kidding, man. Pursue your passions. Writing is an occupation that you can break into if you are good at it without having a degree or experience, though I'm sure they help. All it takes is creativity and an ability to communicate your thoughts effectively to keep your audience engaged.

Some would say that Stephanie Myers is a bad writer. I haven't read any of her work, myself, but she went from being unemployed with no prior writing experience to making millions. She's a successful writer from a financial standpoint. Regardless of her "talent" or lackthereof, she found a way to exploit or create the demand for teenage vampire soap operas, and I think it is impressive, despite the obnoxious aftermath of her fanbase. If the masses crave shit, then feed them shit while writing under a pseudonym and make a lot of money. Then write material that you can actually be proud of for your own amusement.

Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None

I hope it's not because you bought into all the feel-good crap they tell you about social workers making the world a better place. It's great and all, but I can't understand how anyone could be idealistic enough to actually put others' needs ahead of their own success.

If I had any level of confidence that I could get above a C- average in anything but the social sciences, or could do the math, tech, and physical work involved in a trade that paid just as well, I'd bow out of social work in a heartbeat. Alas, I've probably explored 50 different careers and it seems to be the one I'm suited to most from an ability standpoint.

Oh yeah, isn't it great how we lie to young kids in school every day, telling them they can do whatever they put their mind to? I think idealism is one of the worst things we subject children to.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I saw a row of Chevy Sparks today, and I said, "Hi, Sparks!"

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I think idealism is one of the worst things we subject children to.
    Agreed. It would be more useful, for instance, to give kids an understanding that sometimes doing and getting what we want will not be a snap, and may take effort. That's not a reason not to try, but rather, a reason not to be discouraged.

It should be the job of authority figures to actually teach kids about the world, not shield them. THat way, they don't have to learn everything when they finally leave the grasp of their parents. I don't think kids need to be shielded and protected half as much as most adults think they do.

When 9/11 happened, I heard stories on the news regarding "how to tell your kids about", which presumably involved some sort of obfuscation. (Of course, a lot of adults thought it was a dastardly plot of Saddam, so maybe that's a good thing.) I think if I had been 7 instead of 15 when it happened, I really don't think I would have been much more traumatized.
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Agreed. It would be more useful, for instance, to give kids an understanding that sometimes doing and getting what we want will not be a snap, and may take effort. That's not a reason not to try, but rather, a reason not to be discouraged.
    What about teaching them that they simply might not get what they want? What a novel thought! *gasp*

-Roger Waters

Johari Nohari

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    What about teaching them that they simply might not get what they want? What a novel thought! *gasp*
    That too, but I think you should include a caveat that you should try anyway.
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

ndovjtjcaqidthi

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I just read that NCSI (or Navy CSI as it's calles over here) is THE most successful TV show in the US and it's also popular in this part of the world.

WHY?????

The main characters (with the notable exeption of the two lab rats Abby and Ducky) are insufferable. It's a completely dysfunctional team run by a psycho boss with some kind of Vietnam trauma and zero social skills who terrorizes his team. Everybody else equally fears and admires him and tries to emulate him. There is an incredible amout of mobbing going on and they all jump at grovel at the sight of the boss and abuse those underneath them in rank. They constantly harass each other. Seriously, unless a whole lot gets lost in translation, everybody - Gibbs, DiNozzo, Ziva David, McGee, ... - is a complete asshole.

They are also annoyingly anti-intellectual, don't understand the lab nerds' enthusiams for knowledge and interrupt them when they try to explain things.

Watching them interact is morbidly entertaining. Maybe that explains the success?
    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    One of those situations where something is supposedly universally popular, and yet not only do I not know about it/watch it, but neither does ANYONE I know. So I have no idea.
    I'll admit to having watched reruns pretty routinely a couple years ago...but it did get old, and I can't help but wonder the same thing. Maybe I just have an insatiable appetite for mysteries.

-Roger Waters

Johari Nohari

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

In situations like this there's often a lot of law but not much justice when it comes to the redress of the injury, which can bring about its own especial disappointment, disillusionment and crisis but in addition to anything like that there's a lot of potential for other sorts, within the entire family. Good friends can be as useful as a good counsellor at times like that.
    You are right about law vs. justice. We will have to wait and see how that plays out in the courts. The highlighted is what I am concerned about. I know how to offer practical help, and can simply spend time with them and listen. I don't have any experience or training with situations like this, though, and don't want to give bad advice, or come across as unresponsive/uninterested. In the phone conversations we have had so far, I have felt I should be saying more in addition to just listening, but I am at a loss. I have known this family for almost 10 years, and they don't deserve this; not that anyone does, but they have consistently gone out of their way for friends in need, and now they are the ones needing support.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere