User Tag List

Page 3529 of 6782 FirstFirst ... 252930293429347935193527352835293530353135393579362940294529 ... LastLast
Results 35,281 to 35,290 of 67815

Thread: Random Thought Thread

defying your expectations Array SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

So it's not exceptionally accurate, but my new avatar makes me so *happy* to look at.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I recently learned that my friend's teenage daughter has been sexually assaulted by a family "friend". He has been arrested, she is getting counseling. I am at a loss as to how to help.
    This is sickeningly common place these days, or perhaps its I'm just attuned to it because of my job.

There's good advice out there as to how you can provide support, I'm happy to offer advice or opinion via PM if you like too. The family might need some sort of counselling too, then again maybe not, its very difficult to generalise.

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    How did you find out?
    A mutual friend told me first, then I spoke directly with the girl's mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is sickeningly common place these days, or perhaps its I'm just attuned to it because of my job.

There's good advice out there as to how you can provide support, I'm happy to offer advice or opinion via PM if you like too. The family might need some sort of counselling too, then again maybe not, its very difficult to generalise.
    What do you do for work? I think the family are getting what they need in terms of counseling, etc. I'm just trying to support them as best I can as a friend, and finding it challenging as this is the first time I have had a friend in such a situation. If you have any suggestions in this regard, I would appreciate it.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

How can a browser make pages disappear or log you out of a forum? Seriously, WTF? I can be in the middle of responding to a post and the entire page vanishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    A mutual friend told me first, then I spoke directly with the girl's mother.

What do you do for work? I think the family are getting what they need in terms of counseling, etc. I'm just trying to support them as best I can as a friend, and finding it challenging as this is the first time I have had a friend in such a situation. If you have any suggestions in this regard, I would appreciate it.
    I'm a social worker, I work with adolescents, its childrens services. It sounds like you're doing exactly right. I can access some information for families in situations similar to this but it probably would be the same as anything you could find available online or from your local services, if they are accessing counselling already they probably would have access to it.

In situations like this there's often a lot of law but not much justice when it comes to the redress of the injury, which can bring about its own especial disappointment, disillusionment and crisis but in addition to anything like that there's a lot of potential for other sorts, within the entire family. Good friends can be as useful as a good counsellor at times like that.

Ginkgo

And then you slew the Jabberwocky before heading off to rescue Narnia.

Demolition Disco Array Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

YEAH, I can read velocity data like a PRO.

I totally called that mesocyclone before it was confirmed.

These storms are mostly in rural areas right now, but they'll be moving in within a couple of hours...very excited.
    AMERICAN TRASH
    Ni > Se > Fe > Ti
    7w6 (counterphobin')
    Sx > Sp
    Sanguine/Choleric
    Chaotic Good

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I just read that NCSI (or Navy CSI as it's calles over here) is THE most successful TV show in the US and it's also popular in this part of the world.

WHY?????

The main characters (with the notable exeption of the two lab rats Abby and Ducky) are insufferable. It's a completely dysfunctional team run by a psycho boss with some kind of Vietnam trauma and zero social skills who terrorizes his team. Everybody else equally fears and admires him and tries to emulate him. There is an incredible amout of mobbing going on and they all jump at grovel at the sight of the boss and abuse those underneath them in rank. They constantly harass each other. Seriously, unless a whole lot gets lost in translation, everybody - Gibbs, DiNozzo, Ziva David, McGee, ... - is a complete asshole.

They are also annoyingly anti-intellectual, don't understand the lab nerds' enthusiams for knowledge and interrupt them when they try to explain things.

Watching them interact is morbidly entertaining. Maybe that explains the success?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

i burnt the roof of my mouth on pizza, it was so good but now it hurts
    by @magpie

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I just read that NCSI (or Navy CSI as it's calles over here) is THE most successful TV show in the US and it's also popular in this part of the world.

WHY?????

The main characters (with the notable exeption of the two lab rats Abby and Ducky) are insufferable. It's a completely dysfunctional team run by a psycho boss with some kind of Vietnam trauma and zero social skills who terrorizes his team. Everybody else equally fears and admires him and tries to emulate him. There is an incredible amout of mobbing going on and they all jump at grovel at the sight of the boss and abuse those underneath them in rank. They constantly harass each other. Seriously, unless a whole lot gets lost in translation, everybody - Gibbs, DiNozzo, Ziva David, McGee, ... - is a complete asshole.

Watching them interact is morbidly entertaining. Maybe that explains the success?
    One of those situations where something is supposedly universally popular, and yet not only do I not know about it/watch it, but neither does ANYONE I know. So I have no idea.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!