User Tag List

Page 3511 of 6783 FirstFirst ... 251130113411346135013509351035113512351335213561361140114511 ... LastLast
Results 35,101 to 35,110 of 67825

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Why Madison?
    It's a very popular name for baby girls, right now.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

Ask the parents out there who name their kid Madison. It feels like one out of every two little girls I'm introduced to is named Madison. For instance one of my co-workers just had another kid, a baby girl. Name? You bet your ass it's Madison!

Same with boys and the names Liam, Logan (I shouldn't talk too much shit, I have a second cousin named Logan), Mason, Jayden... Kayden, Brayden... Riley, Connor...

Girls? Emma, Emily, Madison, Addison, Mackenzie, Leah, Taylor.

The popularity of names ebbs and flows of course. I wonder if we'll think of these names as being sort of silly and outdated like we do names like Bertha, Ida, Herman, Herbert, Clarence, Ethel, Mabel, etc.

Maybe our great-grandparents' names will come back in vogue. Despicable Me 2 made me think of this a couple days ago. The little girls in the film are named Margot, Edith (the name of one of my great-grandmothers) and Agnes (grandmother). My male ancestors' names are still sort of relevant/modern— names like William, Samuel, Robert, George, John and such—but many of my female ancestors' names still feel a little old fashioned: Minnie, Edna, Maud, Alice, Joyce... There's nothing wrong with these names, nothing at all, they're just not popular.
    Glad I'm not the only one who notices these trends

My blog:

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Hahah yeah. And Bella and Henry and, most recently, Oliver. Too bad, because I love that name. I was in love with a boy named Oliver all throughout middle school, and the name holds a special place in my heart. But two Olivers and an Olivia within one month... half the Kindergartners in the class are going to be Olivers in 5 years.
    Henry? Hmm, interesting, I haven't heard many Henrys lately.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Henry? Hmm, interesting, I haven't heard many Henrys lately.
    Yup. Oh! And Isaac. I know so many baby Isaacs. And in fact one of the Henrys was almost an Isaac. It's weird, how names go in trends like that. Some of them you can spot the source, like Bella (sadly) I'm sure became popular because of Twilight. The Despicable Me trend is interesting, Sasha and Malia are big now after the Obama girls, and i'm sure whatever Kate Middleton names her baby is going to spike a global trend. But some of them just seem to come out of nowhere... one person names their kid something somewhat original, and then all of a sudden everyone's giving their kid that name and it's no longer original. I don't know why.

My blog:

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Yup. Oh! And Isaac. I know so many baby Isaacs. And in fact one of the Henrys was almost an Isaac. It's weird, how names go in trends like that. Some of them you can spot the source, like Bella (sadly) I'm sure became popular because of Twilight. The Despicable Me trend is interesting, Sasha and Malia are big now after the Obama girls, and i'm sure whatever Kate Middleton names her baby is going to spike a global trend. But some of them just seem to come out of nowhere... one person names their kid something somewhat original, and then all of a sudden everyone's giving their kid that name and it's no longer original. I don't know why.
    Isaac, eh? Can't say I've heard of many little Isaacs out there but I much prefer the name to, say, Jackson. Not that there's anything wrong with Jackson, but this trend of giving kids surnames for given names (Mackenzie, Hunter, Taylor...) needs to end.

Random thought in addition to this random line of thinking: I think I've developed an affinity for women with names that can be shortened to a male nickname, e.g. Frederica --> 'Fred'. Not necessarily romantically, just an affinity. Maybe it's because some of the women in my family have such names, so it has become familiar. My mother and sister do, for example. My aforementioned female ancestor named Alice wasn't actually a direct predecessor, she was my father's mother's mother's sister; we knew her by a couple of nicknames but foremost she was simply 'Al'.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Isaac, eh? Can't say I've heard of many little Isaacs out there but I much prefer the name to, say, Jackson. Not that there's anything wrong with Jackson, but this trend of giving kids surnames for given names (Mackenzie, Hunter, Taylor...) needs to end.
    My son has a surname first name. Them's fightin' words.

(It's not Jackson, though.)

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    My son has a surname first name. Them's fightin' words.
    I figured I'd offend somebody soon enough.

IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOUR KID'S FIRST NAME IS A LAST NAME, IT'S YOURS!

()

EDIT: Seriously though, why? Why would you do that to your kid?

Also, I hope you don't have a double-barrelled surname. Lawd have mercy on the "Jackson Phillips-Smith"s out there.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's a great name, that's why!

Senior Member Array

Whatever floats your boat.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Qlip 2.0 is pretty damn cool. So cool that it makes the job hunt more difficult; nerds don't think he's their tribesman anymore. Also, him talking in 3rd person weirds them out.