User Tag List

Page 3488 of 6784 FirstFirst ... 248829883388343834783486348734883489349034983538358839884488 ... LastLast
Results 34,871 to 34,880 of 67832

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Was the old bracket a rusted mess that couldn't hold anything, or just the screw head?
    Rusted mess that couldn't hold anything. On the outside it looked... passable... but on the inside it was full of corrosion. The only thing holding it to the wall before I replaced it was the bead of silicone that had been put around it at the wall. When I popped it off I got orange rusty crud all over the place.

It was disgusting, it wasn't worth saving.

Without seeing what you're talking about I don't see why not just try and remove the screw from the stud (it'll come with vise grips, chisel in there if you need to), put in a metal screw in anchor in the old hole (or similar)*

and then remount and leak seal.
    Oh believe me, that was my first thought. Like I said there was a little nub of material that was sticking out from the wall and I had my vise grips ready, but when I wiped the area dry with a paper towel the metal just flaked away. It was recessed well beyond the face of the tile.I'd have to chisel out the tile just to hope to get a grip on it. I figured there was no sense in making the hole bigger.

So are the new mounts into studs or hollow? I'm guessing you tried to shift everything 1/2 inch up/down or did you go side to side?
    Studs. It ain't goin' anywhere, assuming it my silicone job keeps water out of it. Whoever put it in in the first place had the forethought to locate the stud, so I followed suit. (Normally you'd drill through the grout, not the tile right? I knew something was up when the holes were in the tile.) I shifted the whole thing 1/2" down.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Rusted mess that couldn't hold anything. On the outside it looked... passable... but on the inside it was full of corrosion. The only thing holding it to the wall before I replaced it was the bead of silicone that had been put around it at the wall. When I popped it off I got orange rusty crud all over the place.

It was disgusting, it wasn't worth saving.

Oh believe me, that was my first thought. Like I said there was a little nub of material that was sticking out from the wall and I had my vise grips ready, but when I wiped the area dry with a paper towel the metal just flaked away. It was recessed well beyond the face of the tile.I'd have to chisel out the tile just to hope to get a grip on it. I figured there was no sense in making the hole bigger.
    Ah, fair enough, that makes sense.

Studs. It ain't goin' anywhere, assuming it my silicone job keeps water out of it. Whoever put it in in the first place had the forethought to locate the stud, so I followed suit. (Normally you'd drill through the grout, not the tile right? I knew something was up when the holes were in the tile.) I shifted the whole thing 1/2" down.
    Nice. You can really drill through either. In some cases having a flat surface to mount on might be preferable lest things get cocked at funny angles and then things don't hook on to the brackets, but through grout would be easier.

What'd you do with the old holes?
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Senior Member Array

Nice. You can really drill through either. In some cases having a flat surface to mount on might be preferable lest things get cocked at funny angles and then things don't hook on to the brackets, but through grout would be easier.
    True, you can drill through either, but drilling through grout minimizes the risk of cracking the tile.

What'd you do with the old holes?
    Filled 'em in with silicone.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Question: What do I do with all this damn basil?
    Answer: Basil mojito!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array

I clicked on "Who is the best typist?" thinking it would be about words-per-minute.

Oh.

This forum would be much more interesting if everyone gave me attention, pure and simple.

Carry on.

#narcissism

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

I like having a calm exterior, even when i'm freaking out i look cool as a cucumber
    by @magpie

Ginkgo

The first rule is: There are no rules.

The second rule is: No biting.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Got caught in a torrential downpour on my way from my car to the office this morning. Of course I'd decided to wear pants today... they're drenched up to the knees.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Got caught in a torrential downpour on my way from my car to the office this morning. Of course I'd decided to wear pants today... they're drenched up to the knees.
    Soaked calves and feet are 'in', didn't you know? I was modelling that look yesterday afternoon after getting caught in a torrential downpour at lunch.

(I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing what I did later: I took off my shoes and socks and spent most of the afternoon in the office barefoot. My shoes and socks dried out though! Well, mostly anyway.)