User Tag List

Page 3487 of 6781 FirstFirst ... 248729873387343734773485348634873488348934973537358739874487 ... LastLast
Results 34,861 to 34,870 of 67805

Thread: Random Thought Thread

  1. #34861
    Superwoman Array Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Either a few people decided profanity in thread titles isn't a good idea, or the mods decided it isn't a good idea. Hal of that sentence would've been enough...repetitive redundancy FTW!
    From the FAQ:

    Censorship: There is no censorship of ideas, no matter how distasteful, apart from the obvious. This includes but not limited to:

    Porn
    Links to porn (this includes inserting an image or video that originates from a pornographic site)
    Offensive, violent, or gory images
    Spamming/trolling
    Illegal software links
    Advertising
    Links that don't follow the conversation at hand
    Continual gratuitous vulgarity in posts
    Hard obscenities in repeatable elements such as custom user titles, avatars, signatures, and thread titles
    It's not a new rule either, has been like that for as long as I can remember.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  2. #34862
    Senior Member Array Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Just once I'd like a "home improvement" project to go right the first time 'round.
    Do tell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Lot of people desperate to be seen as the source of excitement on the forum people dont know the sorts of self disclosure they're dealing in, strangers to themselves
    Do tell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    From the FAQ:



    It's not a new rule either, has been like that for as long as I can remember.
    This is true.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  3. #34863
    Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None
    Posts
    2,684

    Default

    It must've just taken them a while to get around to it. They probably had more pressing matters to attend to...like their own sanity. And keeping this place from imploding.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

    "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

    ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?


    Johari Nohari

    https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

  4. #34864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Just a heads up that this thread is being reacquistioned by the Cloud Kingdom of Ne.

    Zat eez all.

  5. #34865
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Do tell.
    I was replacing a slide bar for a hand shower. The bottom bracket on the old one was loose. I feared the wall behind the tile had become wet and whatever the bottom bracket had been anchored to had given away. Off the bat it took me three weeks to find a new slide bar that would match the old, so it wasn't until yesterday I finally tackled the problem.

    Like I said, I thought the wall behind the tile might have become wet but as it turned out the reason the bottom bracket was loose was that water had seeped into the (mostly hollow) bracket itself and the screw head had rusted away, leaving nothing more than a puddle of orange water and small chunks of metal behind.

    That meant more than half the screw was still stuck in the wall. I tried to pry it loose but the nub of material sticking out from the wall disintegrated when I touched it. I tried drilling it out but that was a waste: it was drilled into a stud behind the wall. It wasn't going to come out.

    So I decided to core new holes for the new brackets. Thinking the two bars were the same (they were both the same model and nominally two feet long) I drilled two new holes for the top and bottom brackets, using the old holes as reference points. That was my greatest mistake. This would only work if the two slide bars were exactly the same length. As it turned out the new bar was half an inch longer than the old one, so the new hole I'd drilled for the bottom bracket was half an inch too high.

    Rather than drill another hole in the wall I found a hacksaw and cut half an inch off the new bar, notched it with a Dremel tool and made it fit.

    I slathered the whole thing in silicone, hoping this would never happen again.

  6. #34866
    Senior Member Array Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Do tell.



    Do tell.



    This is true.
    The thread about the forum being boring, usual suspects think its cause they havent been around and posting that, I think its cause other posters who're not likely to seek attention not posting

  7. #34867
    Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None
    Posts
    2,684

    Default

    Good god mother, SHUT UP.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

    "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

    ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?


    Johari Nohari

    https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

  8. #34868
    Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None
    Posts
    2,684

    Default

    When I tried to type 'compared to most' into my phone it autocorrected it to 'coated toots'.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

    "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

    ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?


    Johari Nohari

    https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

  9. #34869
    Senior Member Array Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I was replacing a slide bar for a hand shower. The bottom bracket on the old one was loose. I feared the wall behind the tile had become wet and whatever the bottom bracket had been anchored to had given away. Off the bat it took me three weeks to find a new slide bar that would match the old, so it wasn't until yesterday I finally tackled the problem.

    Like I said, I thought the wall behind the tile might have become wet but as it turned out the reason the bottom bracket was loose was that water had seeped into the (mostly hollow) bracket itself and the screw head had rusted away, leaving nothing more than a puddle of orange water and small chunks of metal behind.

    That meant more than half the screw was still stuck in the wall. I tried to pry it loose but the nub of material sticking out from the wall disintegrated when I touched it. I tried drilling it out but that was a waste: it was drilled into a stud behind the wall. It wasn't going to come out.

    So I decided to core new holes for the new brackets. Thinking the two bars were the same (they were both the same model and nominally two feet long) I drilled two new holes for the top and bottom brackets, using the old holes as reference points. That was my greatest mistake. This would only work if the two slide bars were exactly the same length. As it turned out the new bar was half an inch longer than the old one, so the new hole I'd drilled for the bottom bracket was half an inch too high.

    Rather than drill another hole in the wall I found a hacksaw and cut half an inch off the new bar, notched it with a Dremel tool and made it fit.

    I slathered the whole thing in silicone, hoping this would never happen again.
    Was the old bracket a rusted mess that couldn't hold anything, or just the screw head?

    Without seeing what you're talking about I don't see why not just try and remove the screw from the stud (it'll come with vise grips, chisel in there if you need to), put in a metal screw in anchor in the old hole (or similar)*



    and then remount and leak seal. And return the new one to the store.

    But I mean, it's already done...

    So are the new mounts into studs or hollow? I'm guessing you tried to shift everything 1/2 inch up/down or did you go side to side?


    *i only would recommend those screw in anchors for light items in drywall or fixing mistakes into studs...anything you're grabbing is going to work loose (especially in drywall, shower stall concrete board is a bit sturdier though) unless you use big anchors. even if it's just a toilet paper holder i tend to drill out bigger holes in the brackets to accept 3/8 toggle bolts (or larger)

    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  10. #34870
    Senior Member Array Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The thread about the forum being boring, usual suspects think its cause they havent been around and posting that, I think its cause other posters who're not likely to seek attention not posting
    Oh.

    This forum would be much more interesting if everyone gave me attention, pure and simple.

    Carry on.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread
    By Giggly in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 622
    Last Post: 10-28-2016, 07:32 PM
  2. [NT] Random thought thread (NT version)
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO