User Tag List

Page 3431 of 6772 FirstFirst ... 243129313331338134213429343034313432343334413481353139314431 ... LastLast
Results 34,301 to 34,310 of 67713

Thread: Random Thought Thread

  1. #34301
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    That's it, I'm gonna practice acoustic guitar for live gigs. I tend to be an electric guy, composing stuff with a full set of instruments, but I don't know if I'd work well with a band.

  2. #34302
    Senior Member Array Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I feel like the purpose of horror is to show the audience a bunch of fucked up, confusing shit until they feel bad about themselves.
    No that's the purpose of the modern bullshit which passes for horror.

  3. #34303
    Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    The Minnesota state bird?
    Haha you know it!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  4. #34304
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    No that's the purpose of the modern bullshit which passes for horror.
    @Marmotini
    I think what I described depicts good horror as well. At a certain point, you know the images you're being fed don't quite add up - that sense of the unknown and the realization that you're too lowly and human to grasp the greater mechanics of terror just fills you with more dread. That's why films that only give you suspenseful glimpses of the threat, like Alien or even Jaws, nudge you to the edge of your seat.

    Also, @Poimandres


  5. #34305
    Senior Member Array Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    @Marmotini
    I think what I described depicts good horror as well. At a certain point, you know the images you're being fed don't quite add up - that sense of the unknown and the realization that you're too lowly and human to grasp the greater mechanics of terror just fills you with more dread. That's why films that only give you suspenseful glimpses of the threat, like Alien or even Jaws, nudge you to the edge of your seat.

    Also, @Poimandres

    There's a big difference between torture porn or splatter movies or even some sorts of slasher movies or video nasties and proper horror movies, its not just whether or not they are suspensful or things take place off camera or only in glimpses, those can be indications about budget rather than anything else.

  6. #34306
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's a big difference between torture porn or splatter movies or even some sorts of slasher movies or video nasties and proper horror movies, its not just whether or not they are suspensful or things take place off camera or only in glimpses, those can be indications about budget rather than anything else.
    Oh, I don't think that suspense is the only factor in crafting a good horror flick.

    The element that most completely miss is the relatable-ness of the victims. It takes very little to provide that level of immersion, yet it seems that many of the shittier films simply give you something aesthetic to wince at.

    Obviously there are many more.

    The Shining gave you seemingly benign images of girls standing in hallways and blood sloshing all over the place. But once you start becoming immersed in the context of the film, those images just weird you out enough to be unnerved, simply because you don't know exactly how they're supposed to make sense within the canon of the story. Why are they there? Do they appear because someone is suffering from cabin fever? Are they real? Are they apparitions? What the fuck is it?

  7. #34307
    Senior Member Array Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,627

    Default

    Its a good thing I dont care about other peoples opinions much, I always have someone on one side of the argument telling me I'm one thing and then the people on the other side of the argument telling me I'm another thing. Assholes cant both be right. About anything other than being an asshole that is.

  8. #34308
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    The Shining gave you seemingly benign images of girls standing in hallways and blood sloshing all over the place. But once you start becoming immersed in the context of the film, those images just weird you out enough to be unnerved, simply because you don't know exactly how they're supposed to make sense within the canon of the story. Why are they there? Do they appear because someone is suffering from cabin fever? Are they real? Are they apparitions? What the fuck is it?
    I think that's just Kubrick being Kubrick. I'm not a fan of his work.

  9. #34309
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,227

    Default

    I picked a great time to mow the lawn (and by extension part of the dandelion crop). The rain didn't soak all the way through my clothes.

  10. #34310
    Senior Member Array Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,627

    Default

    I dont know if its irony or bad luck or just that its fated that way. Hmmm, tragic.

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread
    By Giggly in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 622
    Last Post: 10-28-2016, 07:32 PM
  2. [NT] Random thought thread (NT version)
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO