User Tag List

Page 3232 of 6783 FirstFirst ... 223227323132318232223230323132323233323432423282333237324232 ... LastLast
Results 32,311 to 32,320 of 67830

Thread: Random Thought Thread

They've never heard of the word: concise.

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    872 sx/sp

Well. My life just flashed before my eyes...

I'm thinking of whether I should water fast soon. Hmm
    I really like cats and food.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Fricking Ohio
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    There seem to be a lot of long thread titles that get cut off. Why do people do that?
    You mean threads like this one I made: Ascending the Mountain of Transformation - A Quest to Explore the Edge of Endlessness

That's right mofoz, you all just got T-Rexed.

To Hell.

Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    But how do they taste?

Take off the rose-colored glasses. Really he only wanted his car washed and waxed.
    Lol really though...he teaches him concentration and discipline and meditation. That's why he wins at the end. He approaches the mind before the body.

He teaches him balance to flow with qi, basically. That's also why he has him practice in nature.

In the beginning before he trims the bonsai tree he tells him to close his eyes and breathe and be with the tree, and therefore he can do anything.

He breaks bottles on the truck when those guys are bullying them on the beach, and Daniel says how did you do that? and he says I don't know I've never done it before.

Not a coincidence. It's the entire concept behind the film, from the bonsai tree, to the catching flies with chopsticks, to that incident, to wax on wax off and sand the floor.

I'm not doing it. The Tao is doing it (roughly speaking, I'm not sure if the film is based in Taoism or Buddhism, but it's the same inherent concept or idea).

It's why when you ask Buddhist masters for answers to your problems or what they know that you don't, they laugh at you.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Lol really though...he teaches him concentration and discipline and meditation. That's why he wins at the end. He approaches the mind before the body.

He teaches him balance to flow with qi, basically. That's also why he has him practice in nature.

In the beginning before he trims the bonsai tree he tells him to close his eyes and breathe and be with the tree, and therefore he can do anything.

He breaks bottles on the truck when those guys are bullying them on the beach, and Daniel says how did you do that? and he says I don't know I've never done it before.

Not a coincidence. It's the entire concept behind the film, from the bonsai tree, to the catching flies with chopsticks, to that incident, to wax on wax off and sand the floor.

I'm not doing it. The Tao is doing it (roughly speaking, I'm not sure if the film is based in Taoism or Buddhism, but it's the same inherent concept or idea).

It's why when you ask Buddhist masters for answers to your problems or what they know that you don't, they laugh at you.
    The Karate Kid is pure western orientalism.

Its played for entertainment and does not have a lot of depth, you could as easily attempt to see some deep seated meaning in Big Trouble In Little China, the TV series Kung Fu has more philosophy or culture of a meaningful kind in it because Bruce Lee wanted to import eastern cutlure through the medium and gain it some respect, even at that he was not allowed to appear in the led role and no other oriental actors were either.

The breaking bottles thing in the first movie, followed by breaking ice and blocks in the second movie is pure martial arts contests feats of strength and prowess stunts.

The final film has some spiritual overtones (they visit a monastry) but again its a western superficial portrayal of Zen, which has as much to do with stateside gurus and pop culture as the eastern reality.

The narrative in the first film, to a certain extent each of them, of the fatherless youths who are guided towards self discipline and finally stand up to the bullies could as easily have been set in the wild west with John Wayne as Mr Mayagi but the mythologising of foreign esoteric martial techniques was still strong at that time and adds everything to the movie.

There are some amazing "super karate" books available from before that time which if you contrast with modern day books are a barrel of unintended laughs, with a serious tone they dispense pretty ludicrous ideas about physical and mental feats, single strike immobilising blows, that kind of thing, with little or no attention to health and safety, liability or authentication as being from cultures or contexts which confer them with any legitimacy or tradition.

You could as easily say that Quantum Leap was The Tao as the Karate Kid.

Its a great movie though, loved it growing up and loved all that esoteric eastern faddism.

ice cold damped cloth in my forehead
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

This girl on POF looks like Nicolas Cage in a wig.