User Tag List

Page 3128 of 6784 FirstFirst ... 212826283028307831183126312731283129313031383178322836284128 ... LastLast
Results 31,271 to 31,280 of 67835

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I failed to see what was funny about this until I remembered that you are fairly bald. What does a bald man do with a hairpin?

Then I read Patches' response and remembered that America is a throw-away society.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I failed to see what was funny about this until I remembered that you are fairly bald. What does a bald man do with a hairpin?

Then I read Patches' response and remembered that America is a throw-away society.
    Ah, but I just posted someone else's picture. Maybe that person had a legitimate use for a hairpin.

... .. and then they lost it, forgot about it in their American wastefulness, and had to get it returned to them by someone who presumably wasn't tainted completely by the American throwaway culture.

Besides, @wheelchairdoug's picture shows plenty of uses for a hairpin, all of which can be harnessed by people with no hair.

.. presumably ones that an American wouldn't bother with.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xxTP

This thread is good because it's a substitue for Facebook Status Updates for people like me who are too cool to want their RL name associated with lame Staus Updates. In other words forums are a recepticle for the shit no-one wants to say IRL. Anyone who denies that to themself will only suffer from dashed expectations.

In the spirit of the above:

Wake up at 2pm followed by gym followed by Fifa 2012 all evening. Sunday ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I love rootbeer in bottles SO much! I wish that they served it that way at bars so that I could order it and feel like the guys in westerns who order sasparilla
    What is sasparilla? What is root beer? Is this another name for ginger beer? Or is it like dandilion and budock?

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xxTP

A guy convincing a girl to leave her BF for him:

"Wounds heal but time won't wait for you"

That's what you call a silver tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Introspection failed because people did it wrong. Empathy too will fail because people are doing it wrong. It doesn't work if people don't ditch their ego.

People will instead say "Oh we are being so empathic, but things are still shitty! Empathy is clearly not the answer!" Well nothing is the answer when one is a doof and thinks they are separate and only wants some end result out of it.
    I'm not able to watch that right now, is it recommending extroversion over introversion? Introspection is associated with introversion isnt it?

If empathy is better than altruism at all it is because it involves more mutuality, it is loving others as thyself rather than doing unto others as you would have them do unto you, which is a better idea because the ego, the rational, calculating self, is inescapable.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm not able to watch that right now, is it recommending extroversion over introversion? Introspection is associated with introversion isnt it?

If empathy is better than altruism at all it is because it involves more mutuality, it is loving others as thyself rather than doing unto others as you would have them do unto you, which is a better idea because the ego, the rational, calculating self, is inescapable.
    Yes, but it's not the 'what it does' that's the problem. It's the 'why people do it' that's the problem.

Let's say for example that I'm seeking a new social paradigm, and decide that empathy is the means to accomplish it. If my paradigm is faulty, or impossible, and I throw out the concept of empathy because it failed to meet MY expectations, then I've made a mockery of empathy and ruined its purpose.

Yes, but it's not the 'what it does' that's the problem. It's the 'why people do it' that's the problem.

Let's say for example that I'm seeking a new social paradigm, and decide that empathy is the means to accomplish it. If my paradigm is faulty, or impossible, and I throw out the concept of empathy because it failed to meet MY expectations, then I've made a mockery of empathy and ruined its purpose.
    Sometimes people do the right thing for the wrong reasons, that's true.

Sometimes people do the right thing for the wrong reasons, that's true.

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What is sasparilla? What is root beer? Is this another name for ginger beer? Or is it like dandilion and budock?
    you know, there's this awesome website that answers all kinds of random questions that anybody can think up... it's called wikipedia!
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett