User Tag List

  1. #31271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I failed to see what was funny about this until I remembered that you are fairly bald. What does a bald man do with a hairpin?

    Then I read Patches' response and remembered that America is a throw-away society.

  2. #31272
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I failed to see what was funny about this until I remembered that you are fairly bald. What does a bald man do with a hairpin?

    Then I read Patches' response and remembered that America is a throw-away society.
    Ah, but I just posted someone else's picture. Maybe that person had a legitimate use for a hairpin.

    ... .. and then they lost it, forgot about it in their American wastefulness, and had to get it returned to them by someone who presumably wasn't tainted completely by the American throwaway culture.


    Besides, @wheelchairdoug's picture shows plenty of uses for a hairpin, all of which can be harnessed by people with no hair.

    .. presumably ones that an American wouldn't bother with.

  3. #31273

    Default

    This thread is good because it's a substitue for Facebook Status Updates for people like me who are too cool to want their RL name associated with lame Staus Updates. In other words forums are a recepticle for the shit no-one wants to say IRL. Anyone who denies that to themself will only suffer from dashed expectations.

    In the spirit of the above:

    Wake up at 2pm followed by gym followed by Fifa 2012 all evening. Sunday ftw.

  4. #31274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I love rootbeer in bottles SO much! I wish that they served it that way at bars so that I could order it and feel like the guys in westerns who order sasparilla
    What is sasparilla? What is root beer? Is this another name for ginger beer? Or is it like dandilion and budock?
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

    A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

  5. #31275

    Default

    A guy convincing a girl to leave her BF for him:

    "Wounds heal but time won't wait for you"

    That's what you call a silver tongue.

  6. #31276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Introspection failed because people did it wrong. Empathy too will fail because people are doing it wrong. It doesn't work if people don't ditch their ego.

    People will instead say "Oh we are being so empathic, but things are still shitty! Empathy is clearly not the answer!" Well nothing is the answer when one is a doof and thinks they are separate and only wants some end result out of it.
    I'm not able to watch that right now, is it recommending extroversion over introversion? Introspection is associated with introversion isnt it?

    If empathy is better than altruism at all it is because it involves more mutuality, it is loving others as thyself rather than doing unto others as you would have them do unto you, which is a better idea because the ego, the rational, calculating self, is inescapable.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

    A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

  7. #31277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm not able to watch that right now, is it recommending extroversion over introversion? Introspection is associated with introversion isnt it?

    If empathy is better than altruism at all it is because it involves more mutuality, it is loving others as thyself rather than doing unto others as you would have them do unto you, which is a better idea because the ego, the rational, calculating self, is inescapable.
    Yes, but it's not the 'what it does' that's the problem. It's the 'why people do it' that's the problem.

    Let's say for example that I'm seeking a new social paradigm, and decide that empathy is the means to accomplish it. If my paradigm is faulty, or impossible, and I throw out the concept of empathy because it failed to meet MY expectations, then I've made a mockery of empathy and ruined its purpose.

  8. #31278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yes, but it's not the 'what it does' that's the problem. It's the 'why people do it' that's the problem.

    Let's say for example that I'm seeking a new social paradigm, and decide that empathy is the means to accomplish it. If my paradigm is faulty, or impossible, and I throw out the concept of empathy because it failed to meet MY expectations, then I've made a mockery of empathy and ruined its purpose.
    Sometimes people do the right thing for the wrong reasons, that's true.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

    A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

  9. #31279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yes, but it's not the 'what it does' that's the problem. It's the 'why people do it' that's the problem.

    Let's say for example that I'm seeking a new social paradigm, and decide that empathy is the means to accomplish it. If my paradigm is faulty, or impossible, and I throw out the concept of empathy because it failed to meet MY expectations, then I've made a mockery of empathy and ruined its purpose.
    Sometimes people do the right thing for the wrong reasons, that's true.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

    A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

  10. #31280
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    19,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What is sasparilla? What is root beer? Is this another name for ginger beer? Or is it like dandilion and budock?
    you know, there's this awesome website that answers all kinds of random questions that anybody can think up... it's called wikipedia!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread
    By Giggly in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 750
    Last Post: 05-20-2017, 06:13 AM
  2. [NT] Random thought thread (NT version)
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts