User Tag List

Page 2945 of 6782 FirstFirst ... 194524452845289529352943294429452946294729552995304534453945 ... LastLast
Results 29,441 to 29,450 of 67818

Thread: Random Thought Thread

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Indeed.

I know the origin, but the fact that people don't say the full name makes it a slang... at least according to my concept of slang.
    Dear Ann Coulter,

Come on Ms. Coulter, you aren’t dumb and you aren’t shallow. So why are you continually using a word like the R-word as an insult?

I’m a 30 year old man with Down syndrome who has struggled with the public’s perception that an intellectual disability means that I am dumb and shallow. I am not either of those things, but I do process information more slowly than the rest of you. In fact it has taken me all day to figure out how to respond to your use of the R-word last night.

I thought first of asking whether you meant to describe the President as someone who was bullied as a child by people like you, but rose above it to find a way to succeed in life as many of my fellow Special Olympians have.

Then I wondered if you meant to describe him as someone who has to struggle to be thoughtful about everything he says, as everyone else races from one snarkey sound bite to the next.

Finally, I wondered if you meant to degrade him as someone who is likely to receive bad health care, live in low grade housing with very little income and still manages to see life as a wonderful gift.

Because, Ms. Coulter, that is who we are – and much, much more.

After I saw your tweet, I realized you just wanted to belittle the President by linking him to people like me. You assumed that people would understand and accept that being linked to someone like me is an insult and you assumed you could get away with it and still appear on TV.

I have to wonder if you considered other hateful words but recoiled from the backlash.

Well, Ms. Coulter, you, and society, need to learn that being compared to people like me should be considered a badge of honor.

No one overcomes more than we do and still loves life so much.

Come join us someday at Special Olympics. See if you can walk away with your heart unchanged.

A friend you haven’t made yet, John Franklin Stephens
    Global Messenger
    Special Olympics Virginia

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    "I have something very, very big concerning the president of the United States," Trump told "Fox & Friends" on Monday during a phone interview. "I will be announcing it sometime probably Wednesday and it's going to be very big."

"Very, very"? How about very, very, very?

And of course, here it is:

Donald Trump's big "October Surprise" didn't turn out to be much of one, something that isn't exactly a shocker for anyone familiar with the reality TV star's publicity-seeking brand.

Trump's self-hyped announcement this afternoon was that he's offering to donate $5 million to a charity of President Obama's choice—if the president releases his college application records and transcripts, along with his passport application by the end of the month.

The Donald's quest for the president's college records is far from new. In April of 2011, shortly after Obama released his long-form birth certificate, Trump quickly pivoted to the issue of the president's grades, suggesting that they weren't good enough to get into an Ivy League school.
    What a self-promoting creep.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And of course, here it is:
    What a self-promoting creep.
    My brother and I were talking about Trump a few hours ago.
    We also talked about Richard Mourdock's insane "Gift from God" rape comment.

Seriously Jenny, I think some of these people are losing their mind.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    My brother and I were talking about Trump a few hours ago.
    Yes, what planet does he live on, that he thinks such a last minute "offer" is relevant to anything, or that people care, or that Obama would listen? It's all about getting himself more press. And if he's being sincere, he's completely deranged.

We also talked about Richard Mourdock's insane "Gift from God" rape comment.
    ...Another wtf moment. Frighteningly, I actually know a few people who would draw the same conclusion IRL... that's where the religion goes when you're not actually thinking in terms of people.

When I was in Sunday school when I was 8-10 or so, I was told a story about a girl who was forbidden to run across a large rock crossing a chasm in their property, because it could tilt and she could fall off and die. She becomes a Christian at some point, her daddy is not, and she somehow gets him to agree that if she ever died before him, he would accept Jesus as his savior. Because he loved her so much, he agreed.

So she runs out the door and runs across this rock, it tilts, and she falls to the bottom, and her daddy cries over her as she dies and then gets saved, so she's happy because he can have an eternity in heaven with her because she was willing to sacrifice herself.

I think I have shared this parable once before, but you can just look at that story and see LOTS of terrible lessons that can be drawn from it... and yet this is what kids were being taught in my average Sunday school class.

The fact I remember this story 30+ years later only tells you how bizarre it was to hear at that age.

Seriously Jenny, I think some of these people are losing their mind.
    Losing.... Losing... LOST!!!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

WALMART

@LunaLuminosity @Chawie @Oakysage @ReadingRainbows

Do any of you have a preferred questionnaire to use as a template when creating a 'type me' video or post?

Cat Wench Array ReadingRainbows's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post

Do any of you have a preferred questionnaire to use as a template when creating a 'type me' video or post?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post962845

This questionnaire was my favorite and I did two different ones on different forums. I liked this one the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

garbage

I sure am typing like a doofus, on account of having a fucked up finger wrapped in about an inch of bandages. I'm like Helen Keller over here.

I'm also constantly activating my windshield wipers on accident.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I sure am typing like a doofus, on account of having a fucked up finger wrapped in about an inch of bandages. I'm like Helen Keller over here.

I'm also constantly activating my windshield wipers on accident.
    What happened to your finger?

I hate activating the wipers on accident. When there's no water there, they make an awful racket.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    What happened to your finger?
    Long and short, I had a paper cutter, and
    Well, I just sliced the very tip of my finger off. Does that count?

Then I patched it up with a paper towel, calmly left a voicemail for my nurse fiancee asking for advice, and am resuming work one-handed and possibly in shock.

I may have earned my J card. Or at least my Conscientious card.
    It was only a lil' bit, but it did take some fingernail with it. The girl will know what to do, whenever she gets back with me

Got an important briefing today with some folks who could provide us with a huge amount of funding, but I gotta be there to demonstrate my lab's capabilities.

I did have enough time to run home and change into pants that weren't soaked with blood.

Speaking of, two things:
    • There was a clear trail of blood in the hallway. The culture of 'nonintervention' at work seems to manifest as one of either obliviousness, apathy, or simple nonintervention, depending on the individual.
    • The custodial crew was right on the case. Wouldn't want anyone to get the AIDS, I guess?
    Epilogue: managed to meet up with the nurse-fiancee at home. She patched me up in the right way (not paper towels). She's going to make a great mother, because she wouldn't freak the hell out when our kids scrape themselves.

Made it just in time for the presentation for these 20 or so folks. Charmed the pants off of them but had to "turn it on" more than usual. Gave myself the rest of the day off, because holy shit I did not want to make any more mistakes today.

Had to borrow a lady's scissors to cut some Velcro. She asked about my finger, and I told her that I'd cut the tip off this morning. I then realized and pointed out that I was using blades again, and we both had a good laugh about it. I mean, statistically, I'm not such a klutz, and I can't stay away from blades forever.

(It's like that one time when I got pulled over for speeding. Did it dissuade me from speeding ever again? No. It showed me what my odds actually were, and that they were in my favor.)

It still hurts like a motherfucker, Jesus Christ. I think I learned from this one.