User Tag List

Page 2880 of 6779 FirstFirst ... 188023802780283028702878287928802881288228902930298033803880 ... LastLast
Results 28,791 to 28,800 of 67781

Thread: Random Thought Thread

garbage

I eschewed a meeting to spend some time with the girl. I guess I'm officially No Longer a Workaholic.

Ginkgo

Klingon Warrior Princess Array Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I made SO much overtime this week its absurd. Money money monnnnay.

In other news, my car just rolled over 100,000 miles. Is there like.. an average amount of miles a car normally lives for? I abuse that poor thing pretty badly, and I'm not good at basic car maintenance. It's my biggest weakness in life, I think. Not understanding the most basic of car maintenance.

The other week my dad was like "have you checked your brake fluid lately?" I replied "whats brake fluid?"
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I made SO much overtime this week its absurd. Money money monnnnay.

In other news, my car just rolled over 100,000 miles. Is there like.. an average amount of miles a car normally lives for? I abuse that poor thing pretty badly, and I'm not good at basic car maintenance. It's my biggest weakness in life, I think. Not understanding the most basic of car maintenance.

The other week my dad was like "have you checked your brake fluid lately?" I replied "whats brake fluid?"
    properly maintained with most "bad things" getting looked at earlier rather than later, 200K miles or sometimes more... IMO japanese cars are more likely to see those numbers, american cars kinda suck on long-term reliability. Not sure about european cars.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Klingon Warrior Princess Array Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    properly maintained with most "bad things" getting looked at earlier rather than later, 200K miles or sometimes more... IMO japanese cars are more likely to see those numbers, american cars kinda suck on long-term reliability. Not sure about european cars.
    Oh, well good. Maybe it will live awhile longer. If I don't abuse it too badly.

It's an Oldsmobile Alero if that matters. 2004 I think?
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Senior Member Array

In other news, my car just rolled over 100,000 miles. Is there like.. an average amount of miles a car normally lives for?
    I recently read that the average vehicle in the US is kept going for about 11 years and 150,000 miles. This includes cars that are destroyed in accidents though, which skews the numbers.

It's not so much how long it will last as it is a question of how much time and money are you willing to spend to keep it going. It could last indefinitely, if you maintain it.

Pop the hood and look for a small reservoir of fluid on the driver's side of the car, near the firewall (back of the engine compartment). It should have a plastic cap on it, which may even say "brake fluid" or "brake/clutch fluid".

There is almost certainly a diagram in your owner's manual.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Oh, well good. Maybe it will live awhile longer. If I don't abuse it too badly.

It's an Oldsmobile Alero if that matters. 2004 I think?
    Hard to say... just get its oil changes done on schedule, read the owner's manual and ask your mechanic/whoever you typically take it to about some of the >100K mile crap--there's usually something major or somewhat out of the ordinary that needs to be done by 120K miles, they should be able to tell you. I tend to trust dealerships (stealerships?) more for that kind of crap.

The one thing that can be a huge black eye (and destroy your engine) is if the timing belt breaks and you don't get it replaced at the proper interval--but your car doesn't appear to have a timing belt, it uses a timing chain instead. Those usually last a lot longer (maybe 200K+).

Lol don't be like my dad though, and forget to get the oil changed for a year .... can't remember how many vehicles he's destroyed (or had to get a used engine swapped in) because of sheer idiocy!
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Senior Member Array

Oh and don't put much faith into people who say things like "Japanese cars are more likely to last longer".

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I had my fair share of american car experiences..... that's all I'm gonna say.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

I agree with the above comments. Based on cars owned by both me and my family, the American cars lasted to about 150-170K miles before it was no longer feasible to maintain them. For the Honda's I've owned, it's about 250-270K miles. I'd say you should prepare to get another car around 150K miles.

Edit: To further complicate things, make sure you get replacement brake fluid with the correct "DOT" specification.