User Tag List

Page 2813 of 6782 FirstFirst ... 181323132713276328032811281228132814281528232863291333133813 ... LastLast
Results 28,121 to 28,130 of 67815

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I just realized that I'm insulted and called names more frequently by my own family than I am by random people on the internet. I'm sure that says a lot, I'm just not sure what that says.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Pinker85 View Post
    yes, even if this is so, the stereotype is that amerians do not care about anything outside america, so by effectively having generally only politics discussion/news stories about america posted from the largely american forum members, it sorta proves a point. whenever i travel outside the US, one of the number one complaints i hear about americans is that we are incredibly americancentric to the point of acting as if all that matters is what happen within the US.

and the other post is related to the RANDOM THOUGHT of pondering time dilation as it approaches infinity and the effects this would have on the forming of a black hole. seriously, cant i have a fucken random thought in the random thought thread?

geez, why is it, so far, the only people that have become snarky dicks to me when i post on this forum are INFPs?

edit: ok i may be over reacting. im an infp, its what we do when stressed!! i didnt mean to misinterpret what could well be a totally neutral inquiry.
    LOL. I forgot this was the random thought thread when I read your political post. Black holes it is.

It's not an uncommon criticism of Americans, but I do think it's an unfair one. For better or worse, we are isolated physically from most of the rest of the world. I've never left the US, not because I'm small minded or don't care what happens elsewhere or have no concept of world history or any of that stuff. It's just fucking expensive to fly across an ocean. I think Europeans are, by necessity, more aware of the goings-on outside their own home countries because they're just closer. Victor is going to tell me that the Aussies are isolated but still exceptionally aware of world politics, and I have no argument for that. Aussies are pretty aussome.

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Safety first kids!

"A reminder as to why it's best to leave driving a speedboat REALLY fast to professional drivers in safety restraint systems."

MBTI
    ISFP

i agree americans are typically pretty geographically cut off, and it's something i often don't take into account enough. the last stat i read on how many americans have passports was 1 our of 3. of those that do have passports, how many have traveled anywhere for longer than a week or two? so yes, i can see how this would cause a kinda winnowing of a person's worldview. but i dont think this is acceptable in the least, we dont exist in a bubble . . . and we definitely are not the financial powerhouse we once were, capable of bullying/ignoring the rest of the world. i also think proximity doesnt necessarily equate to interest in what is happening to your neighbor. i live in townside honolulu and i know people that have NEVER been to waianae town which is like an hour drive away. i know people that have literally never been anywhere outside a 30 minute radius to where they were born. its really difficult for me to comprehend this. having grown up surrounded by people that seem totally disinterested in what happens outside their intimate scope, i can say even if physical distance isnt an issue, psychologically, for some people that hour away seems like thousands of miles. i think the other issue is that we arent generally taught to think of the implications, the emphasis on rote memorization found in public schools is part of the problem (but on this i may be preaching the choir, since i think most people on the board agree it is preferable to emphasize teaching techniques that develop critical thinking skills in students), i think, and this way of thinking in only 1-to-1 short steps can be a very bad thing. i can see how this has played out in ways that are not at all beneficial for the average hawaiian resident due to their lacking knowledge which would allow them to determine what will and is currently adversely impacting their lives and take actions to change/overt this negative outcome. it leaves a person open to being taken advantage of and abused. i think its a cultural thing, very extreme in hawaii, but prevalent throughout the us. maybe its an education thing? maybe its also tied to pessimism and trust? like maybe a certain amount of pessimism/wariness is necessary to make a person take note of what's happening as you feel more driven to predict an outcome? honestly, i dont know, but it leads to a sort-of ignorance not only of other countries but what is actually happening in your own country as well.

i dont mean at all to sound uppity about all this. i know loads of really good people that dont know the state capitals etc. much less anything about the european union. i just think this isnt a good thing at all. so these are just my observations.

again, sorry if i seemed to be biting your head off. relationship stress has me a little on edge lately.
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's all good. Contrary to the impression one might get from reading the "do some members intimidate you?" thread, I can take it. I was a little snarky in my first reply too.

Your point is well taken and I'm sure it comes into play for many people, but I wouldn't assume it's the case for those of us who shy away from discussing international politics here. I've been all over the continental US, I was Quaker educated (not a lot of emphasis on memorization there- almost entirely on critical thinking), and I do care about international issues and politics and whatnot- I just usually feel as if I haven't the "cred" to comment on them since I've never, y'know, been anywhere outside the US. I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel similarly, in addition to all the poorly-educated/ignorant/willfully ignorant peeps.

Hawaii- I want to go to there.

Senior Member Array

Shut up, asshole. No one asked for comments from the peanut gallery.

Anew Leaf

sometimes i wish to do a name change since this user name was created on a whim.

but then i think of and i can't do it.

also, if i changed my name, no one would know who I am. D: and then I would be a bun alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    sometimes i wish to do a name change since this user name was created on a whim.

but then i think of and i can't do it.

also, if i changed my name, no one would know who I am. D: and then I would be a bun alone.
    Hmm... I don't even know what you'd change it to. I thought of a few options, but ruled them out.

"Neptuned" would sound male and like you've gotten a little too enthusiastic about SCUBA diving...

"Uranused" well... that just doesn't sound right.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Hmm... I don't even know what you'd change it to. I thought of a few options, but ruled them out.

"Neptuned" would sound male and like you've gotten a little too enthusiastic about SCUBA diving...

"Uranused" well... that just doesn't sound right.

Each one was more disturbing than the last. I will have to explore my options. Or just stay with this since if I DID change it, i'd have major issues on the login screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post

Each one was more disturbing than the last. I will have to explore my options. Or just stay with this since if I DID change it, i'd have major issues on the login screen.

I suspect that if you changed your name, you would be forever known as "the user who used to be Saturned".