User Tag List

Page 2680 of 6774 FirstFirst ... 168021802580263026702678267926802681268226902730278031803680 ... LastLast
Results 26,791 to 26,800 of 67739

Thread: Random Thought Thread

WALMART

So. Hung. Over.

Gotta get well rested for Austin tomorrow!

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

On the freeway the other day, I saw a car pull over to the shoulder of the road before the police cruiser even turned on his lights or positioned itself behind the car.

MBTI
    ISFP

blech.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Suddenly thinking about getting a 12 month subscription to PC World magazine, just to keep up with all the new gadgets in the computer world.

Ireland beat the danes, Ireland beat the danes. Good bye denmark. On the plane home Danish kid.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Lindt dark chocolate with chili is delicious.

As a child, I used to think the phase was "old wise tales"... to me this meant that there were things people use to think were "wise" but were now known to be false. Then I learned that the phrase was "old wive's tales", I found this confusing (still do). Can anyone explain the origin of this phrase? (I guess I can use google) hmm...something about old married women sitting around telling stories. This is not a very satisfying answer (since this just reuses the words). I presumed everyone sat around telling stories.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Owlesque View Post
    Lindt dark chocolate with chili is delicious.
    You have Lidt in Canada?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    STUF

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    As a child, I used to think the phase was "old wise tales"... to me this meant that there were things people use to think were "wise" but were now known to be false. Then I learned that the phrase was "old wive's tales", I found this confusing (still do). Can anyone explain the origin of this phrase? (I guess I can use google) hmm...something about old married women sitting around telling stories. This is not a very satisfying answer (since this just reuses the words). I presumed everyone sat around telling stories.
    I always thought of it being like the old village elder lady telling you to raise your hands when you're choking on food or something. It's been around for a LONG time apparently,

" Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly"

that is a mention of it in the bible.
    Whoops.