User Tag List

Page 2289 of 6781 FirstFirst ... 128917892189223922792287228822892290229122992339238927893289 ... LastLast
Results 22,881 to 22,890 of 67804

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

you know, sometimes a complete stranger can really make a difference in a day!
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I hate it when I'm chatting in English and I spell a simple word incorrectly, because then my friends feel the need to tell me how to spell it right even though it was a typo and not a misunderstanding. It's so embarrassing! I can't help that I type quickly and don't always see my spelling errors. Ugh...I probably came off as illiterate to them for spelling "always" as "alwyas".
    people who expect a change
    who can't throw away their humanity
    who stay idle in growth
    who won't dirty their hands
    those are the most terrifying of monsters

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ukon View Post
    I hate it when I'm chatting in English and I spell a simple word incorrectly, because then my friends feel the need to tell me how to spell it right even though it was a typo and not a misunderstanding. It's so embarrassing! I can't help that I type quickly and don't always see my spelling errors. Ugh...I probably came off as illiterate to them for spelling "always" as "alwyas".
    don't worry about it... there's plenty of native english speakers who butcher the language much worse on the internet (or in texting )
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Tonight we are young
    so let's set the world on fire
    it'll burn brigher
    than the sun
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Tonight we are young
    so let's set the world on fire
    it'll burn brigher
    than the sun
    Fun!

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

For anyone interested in the SCOTUS decision on the ACA (Obamacare):

The politics of justice

At the beginning of this week's momentous Supreme Court arguments, allies of the Affordable Health Care Act were predicting a rout for their side. Judicial experts even told the New York Times (and Morning Joe) that they would not be surprised if the White House won the case by an 8-1 vote.

Much has changed since Monday. Now many expect the Supreme Court to strike down the individual mandate and possibly throw out the entire law. But just as I was skeptical when liberals were overconfident at the beginning of the week, I find it equally unrealistic for conservatives to expect to be given a clear cut victory.

I still expect this case to come down to Justice Anthony Kennedy's vote. And while Kennedy gave conservatives the question of the week ("Can you create commerce in order to regulate it?"), the moderate justice's history shows how hard it is to define his judicial philosophy.

Court observers have long accused Kennedy of being influenced by what Federal Judge Lawrence Silberman once famously called the "Greenhouse Effect," a term coined to describe conservatives who compromise their principles in exchange for fawning press coverage from the New York Times--named in honor of former Times reporter Linda Greenhouse.

The phenomenon of "playing to the crowds" has been in decline in recent years, with the court settling into a more ideologically predictable routine.

Roberts, Scalia, Thomas and Alito follow a more "conservative" line and do not give a damn what the New York Times editorial page has to say. The same can be said of Ginsburg, Kagan, Breyer and Sotomayor, who can be pigeonholed more often than not in the "liberal" camp.

These days, only Anthony Kennedy moves freely across the political divide, and critics say he often does so with an eye less on the law before him than on his longterm legacy.

One of the worst examples of the Supreme Court taking political considerations into their legal decisions came in the landmark 1992 case Planned Parenthood v. Casey, where Anthony Kennedy and two other justices admitted as much in their decision.

Writing for the three judge plurality, Sandra Day O'Connor based her decision to uphold Roe v. Wade on the assertion that women now relied on abortion so much that to allow states to regulate it in a restrictive manner would create chaos. Even more disturbing was O'Connor and Kennedy's bizarre claim that upholding Roe was required if the Court hoped to protect its institutional legitimacy.

The Court wrote, "Overruling Roe v. Wade in response to [the] divisiveness of [the] abortion issue would address error, if error there was, at cost of profound and unnecessary damage to [the] Supreme Court's legitimacy."

As Notre Dame professor of law O. Carter Snead told me earlier this week, legal commentators across the ideological spectrum denounced the ruling as an abrogation of judicial authority without even the pretense of sound constitutional reasoning.

That Kennedy and O'Connor would admit in a Supreme Court decision that they feared reversing constitutional error because of political recriminations should be shocking to even the most casual observer of the Court.

Why does this matter now? Because the only lesson Anthony Kennedy has learned from Casey is that one should not admit publicly to caring more about political considerations than constitutional law.

For the moment, conservatives can count themselves lucky that 67% of Americans want the Court to overturn the President's health care law. But if those numbers change as its repeal begins to look more likely, Anthony Kennedy may start looking for guidance from the crowds and the New York Times editorial page. When that happens, all legal reasoning takes a back seat to pure politics.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    Fun!
    I know! A new song that I actually like! Hooray!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    don't worry about it... there's plenty of native english speakers who butcher the language much worse on the internet (or in texting )
    Sadly, I've known that for a while.

It gets really pathetic when I, a non-native English speaker knows the difference between your & you're, but some native English speakers in their 30s still don't know the difference. And EWWW, text-talk. /shivers
    people who expect a change
    who can't throw away their humanity
    who stay idle in growth
    who won't dirty their hands
    those are the most terrifying of monsters

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ukon View Post
    Sadly, I've known that for a while.

It gets really pathetic when I, a non-native English speaker knows the difference between your & you're, but some native English speakers in their 30s still don't know the difference. And EWWW, text-talk. /shivers
    same way when you learn any language... I actually learned my parts of speech in english by learning spanish, as horrifying as that is they just never taught grammar in my school!

and text speak isn't really a language at all *shudders* I really don't understand it and I'm still under 30

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I wonder what it would be like to pilot an EVA?