User Tag List

Page 1732 of 6781 FirstFirst ... 73212321632168217221730173117321733173417421782183222322732 ... LastLast
Results 17,311 to 17,320 of 67808

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I'm easygoing. And I have a lot of appreciation for modern art and design. I was amused by the one in which the "violence" on the kitchen chalkboard has so shaken the occupant they reach for Worcestershire instead of truffle oil!!
    Haha. I've independently developed an appreciation for things that are well crafted enough to not hide the craftsmanship itself, and for things and spaces that do what they were designed to do well and not try so hard to hide the relationship between form and function. I've also been expirimenting with Japanese lifestyle and layouts. So.. I guess that's Japanese inspired modern design. I'm not a fan of turtlenecks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Technology is designed to break eventually so that we have to buy more of it. More advanced = more fragile.

I was on a trip this weekend in which someone was lost in the wilderness for a few hours due to technology failure.
    Of course you're right, JAVO. And of course nature is restorative in the way no shiny new object can be

I just felt like I perhaps had some bad electro-magnetic mojo about me. Maybe I can concoct a cosmic conspiracy in my Ni-addled head that its because I've been reading and sharing what you may see as some kind of anti - tech writings as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It wasn't always that way. I've got a very special fondness for things like 300baud modems built in the early 80's made to be bulletproof and maintenancable to be able to last fo well over 100 years.
    This reminds me of my ISTP father. The pace of technology seems slightly confounding to him, not just because he is some old geezer who can't wrap his mind around newfangled contraptions, but because he was always gifted and talented at taking the well-built thing and making it last, through maintenance and care. Something with quality could be kept for generations. Now its all about obsolescence and throw away. And I think that unsettles him. And when I think deeply about it, I find it unsettling, too.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Of course you're right, JAVO. And of course nature is restorative in the way no shiny new object can be

I just felt like I perhaps had some bad electro-magnetic mojo about me. Maybe I can concoct a cosmic conspiracy in my Ni-addled head that its because I've been reading and sharing what you may see as some kind of anti - tech writings as of late.
    I really like your thoughts you expressed above and the ones you linked to. I work with technology and use it for a greater good, but I think many people "abuse" technology to their own detriment in the same way people might abuse alcohol or drugs. I like that my cell phone can only do calls and text. If I had a smart phone, I'd feel like a . :sadborg:

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I really like your thoughts you expressed above and the ones you linked to. I work with technology and use it for a greater good, but I think many people "abuse" technology to their own detriment in the same way people might abuse alcohol or drugs. I like that my cell phone can only do calls and text. If I had a smart phone, I'd feel like a . :sadborg:
    Have you read Kevin Kelly's What Technology Wants?
    I have not, but I have come across this quote in reviews:

The consequences of a technology expand with its disruptive nature. Powerful technologies will be powerful in both directions—for good and bad. There is no powerfully constructive technology that is not also powerfully destructive in another direction, just as there is no great idea that cannot be greatly perverted for great harm. After all, the most beautiful human mind is still capable of murderous ideas. Indeed, an invention or idea is not really tremendous unless it can be tremendously abused. This should be the first law of technological expectation: The greater the promise of a new technology, the greater its potential for harm as well. That’s also true for new beloved technologies such the internet search engine, hypertext, and the web. These immensely powerful inventions have unleashed a level of creativity not seen since the Renaissance, but when (not if) they are abused, their ability to track and anticipate individual behavior will be awful.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Have you read Kevin Kelly's What Technology Wants?
    I have not, but I have come across this quote in reviews:

The consequences of a technology expand with its disruptive nature. Powerful technologies will be powerful in both directions—for good and bad. There is no powerfully constructive technology that is not also powerfully destructive in another direction, just as there is no great idea that cannot be greatly perverted for great harm. After all, the most beautiful human mind is still capable of murderous ideas. Indeed, an invention or idea is not really tremendous unless it can be tremendously abused. This should be the first law of technological expectation: The greater the promise of a new technology, the greater its potential for harm as well. That’s also true for new beloved technologies such the internet search engine, hypertext, and the web. These immensely powerful inventions have unleashed a level of creativity not seen since the Renaissance, but when (not if) they are abused, their ability to track and anticipate individual behavior will be awful.
    I haven't read that either, but I agree. Technology is power. Most technology is available to everyone, including those who have no ethics restricting its use. Power without laws or ethics to restrict it is very dangerous.

I have no idea who you are, but "I've always liked you."

From the Undertow Array CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Seems like a disruption in the space/time continuum.

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    Seems like a disruption in the space/time continuum.
    No. That will happen yesterday.

Just say No! to skid marks.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Lol what??
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/