User Tag List

Page 1727 of 6784 FirstFirst ... 72712271627167717171725172617271728172917371777182722272727 ... LastLast
Results 17,261 to 17,270 of 67835

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

I had to stand up in class today and say my name, major, hometown blah blah blah. I thought I was going to die.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    I had to stand up in class today and say my name, major, hometown blah blah blah. I thought I was going to die.
    Have you heard of/ considered Toastmasters? It's a non-profit club that's a great way to get more comfortable speaking in groups. They have clubs all over the place in every city, it's cheap to join, and the people are usually very open and welcoming. You can go for free as a guest to see if you like it first. It's fun, and it really does make a big difference. Here's their website:
    http://www.toastmasters.org/

If you're interested, check here to find a club near you with a schedule that works for you:
    http://reports.toastmasters.org/findaclub/

I used to be scared stiff of public speaking, even shy to speak up in meetings with more than 3 people, and now I'm fine with it. I can even give talks to groups of 150 engineers.

Epiphany

I'm on a boat.

You're fired. Lol. Array Antimony's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

@Wind-up Rex

HAHAHA now I know what tune I'll be singing on here....

Ah, push it!
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Have you heard of/ considered Toastmasters? It's a non-profit club that's a great way to get more comfortable speaking in groups. They have clubs all over the place in every city, it's cheap to join, and the people are usually very open and welcoming. You can go for free as a guest to see if you like it first. It's fun, and it really does make a big difference. Here's their website:
    http://www.toastmasters.org/

If you're interested, check here to find a club near you with a schedule that works for you:
    http://reports.toastmasters.org/findaclub/

I used to be scared stiff of public speaking, even shy to speak up in meetings with more than 3 people, and now I'm fine with it. I can even give talks to groups of 150 engineers.
    Sounds familiar, someone might have recommended it to me some time ago. I know some people don't like public speaking, and feel uncomfortable, but I verge on panic attacks/passing out. I've taken the mandatory college communications course and it was a nightmare. The easiest hardest class I've ever had. I don't know that anything short of drugs will work for me, but I may try it, thank you.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

You're fired. Lol. Array Antimony's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Seems like I see a lot of fat English men. Or overweight.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Oh wow I just watched Prestige finally. :horor: So intense/creepy, and good.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    Sounds familiar, someone might have recommended it to me some time ago. I know some people don't like public speaking, and feel uncomfortable, but I verge on panic attacks/passing out. I've taken the mandatory college communications course and it was a nightmare. The easiest hardest class I've ever had. I don't know that anything short of drugs will work for me, but I may try it, thank you.
    I think it's great for people like us. It isn't a class, it's a club that you go to in your spare time, at your convenience, so there is zero pressure. Even if you stand up, stutter, and say something stupid, everyone will smile and clap anyway. -> Genuinely. I'm serious! Cuz they're all there for the same reason, and proud of you for doing it, too.

It's hard to believe when you listen to some of the amazingly polished speakers there, but most of them started out like us; nervous about even just standing up and introducing themselves. It really breaks that ice and gives you the practice you need in a friendly, zero-pressure environment. Once you get past that fear, you'll be so glad you did it. Even just going a few times makes a difference, but I would recommend joining for at least one 6 month period if you can fit it into your schedule. You might make some new friends while you're at it, too. You might also decide you like it well enough to do it for a few years, like a lot of people do.

And it sure beats the alternative of NOT facing your speaking fears until some situation comes up and you're suddenly forced to.

Good luck, let me know how it goes if you try it!

What kind of images do the words, Yahoo! Slurp Spider, create in your mind?

ThatGirl

Is this a trick question?