User Tag List

Page 1668 of 6772 FirstFirst ... 66811681568161816581666166716681669167016781718176821682668 ... LastLast
Results 16,671 to 16,680 of 67719

Thread: Random Thought Thread

every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Senior Member Array The Outsider's Avatar
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    I fucking love albatrosses.
    Bethink thee of the albatross, whence come those clouds of spiritual wonderment and pale dread, in which that white phantom sails in all imaginations? Not Coleridge first threw that spell; but God's great, unflattering laureate, Nature.*

* I remember the first albatross I ever saw. It was during a prolonged gale, in waters hard upon the Antarctic seas. From my forenoon watch below, I ascended to the overclouded deck; and there, dashed upon the main hatches, I saw a regal, feathery thing of unspotted whiteness, and with a hooked, Roman bill sublime. At intervals, it arched forth its vast archangel wings, as if to embrace some holy ark. Wondrous flutterings and throbbings shook it. Though bodily unharmed, it uttered cries, as some king's ghost in supernatural distress. Through its inexpressible, strange eyes, methought I peeped to secrets which took hold of God. As Abraham before the angels, I bowed myself; the white thing was so white, its wings so wide, and in those for ever exiled waters, I had lost the miserable warping memories of traditions and of towns. Long I gazed at that prodigy of plumage. I cannot tell, can only hint, the things that darted through me then. But at last I awoke; and turning, asked a sailor what bird was this. A goney, he replied. Goney! never had heard that name before; is it conceivable that this glorious thing is utterly unknown to men ashore! never! But some time after, I learned that goney was some seaman's name for albatross. So that by no possibility could Coleridge's wild Rhyme have had aught to do with those mystical impressions which were mine, when I saw that bird upon our deck. For neither had I then read the Rhyme, nor knew the bird to be an albatross. Yet, in saying this, I do but indirectly burnish a little brighter the noble merit of the poem and the poet.

Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Things doing well Dougface?
    Well enough I suppose.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Well enough I suppose.
    Ah, beautiful beautiful. 256 more posts and you can change your username. Always remember, the Dougface is in you.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I really hate the phrase "pick your brain." It brings to mind the image of someone using a nutpick to extract little pieces of another's exposed brain.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    872 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    So that by no possibility could Coleridge's wild Rhyme have had aught to do with those mystical impressions which were mine, when I saw that bird upon our deck. For neither had I then read the Rhyme, nor knew the bird to be an albatross.
    Incidentally, Rime of the Ancient Mariner can be sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I really hate the phrase "pick your brain." It brings to mind the image of someone using a nutpick to extract little pieces of another's exposed brain.
    Like in Hannibal?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    It's not as bad as the image I get when people use the phrase "low-hanging fruit" to refer to the information that was the easiest to obtain. Thankfully they don't use that phrase much anymore.

Or how about "caught with his pants down" or "in bed with". My visual imagination is a little too vivid for these metaphors. If they're hot, the image is embarrassing, and if they're not, it's disgusting.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Really any point to making your first post a picture of yourself on the picture time thread then never again posting on the forums?

Senior Member Array The Outsider's Avatar
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Really any point to making your first post a picture of yourself on the picture time thread then never again posting on the forums?
    A few compliments and a quick ego-boost to keep them warm through the winter.