User Tag List

Page 1591 of 6784 FirstFirst ... 59110911491154115811589159015911592159316011641169120912591 ... LastLast
Results 15,901 to 15,910 of 67837

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xntj

Instead of playing Follow the Leader, INTP children play Follow the Link where at the tail end of the game, the children compare where they've ended up. This results in gales of laughter where only INTP children can understand the humour.

Unfortunately, this manifests as OCD within adult INTPs.

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

River rafting with 20+ asians. Let's hope they boat better than they drive.

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Instead of playing Follow the Leader, INTP children play Follow the Link where at the tail end of the game, the children compare where they've ended up. This results in gales of laughter where only INTP children can understand the humour.

Unfortunately, this manifests as OCD within adult INTPs.
    OCD: Obsessive Clicking Disorder - affects 4 out of 5 adult INTPs. The only known treatment is to become Amish.

The Eighth Colour Array Octarine's Avatar
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    That awkward moment when four cars pull up to a four-way stop at the same time.
    LOL.

I have considered this scenario, and flooring it is not necessarily a dangerous strategy, provided no one else chooses to do the same thing at the same moment. Even if the others start to move (at a regular pace), they will still have time to stop. But if two drivers both decide to floor it, then it could get messy, depending on the dimensions of the intersection. So, if you see any sporty cars, or drivers with a high probability of being an arsehole driver, then I suggest waiting.

In conclusion, anyone approaching an intersection in my state should double check to make sure I'm not at the intersection, before choosing to go.

No Amish jokes allowed. It's sacred.

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

damn... it's hot enough that even my sweat is sweating
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    No Amish jokes allowed. It's sacred.
    Reading about the Amish in the last 5 minutes brought me to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Willems

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

does anyone know what year the amish picked in which to stop advancing as far as fashion and such go? wikipedia did not tell me
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    does anyone know what year the amish picked in which to stop advancing as far as fashion and such go? wikipedia did not tell me
    It's not a particular year, but a system of beliefs:

The most important factor of Amish life is Gelassenheit, or submission to the will of God. Gelassenheit is based primarily on Jesus' words, "not my will but thine be done."16 By giving up individuality and any thought of selfishness, they embrace God's will by serving others and submitting to Him. To the Amish, Gelassenheit is seen in all of the following aspects of Amish life:

Personality: reserved, modest, calm, quiet
    Values: submission, obedience, humility, simplicity
    Symbols: dress, horse, carriage, lantern
    Structure: small, informal, local, decentralized
    Ritual: baptism, confession, ordination, foot-washing

** Excerpted from Kraybill, Donald. The Riddle of Amish Culture. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins UP, 1989, p.26.

The Amish feel that Gelassenheit should permeate every facet of their existence, and even be apparent in their material possessions. Consequently, they will only selectively use modern technologies. As seen in the symbols of Gelassenheit, the Amish believe that using lanterns and the buggies typifies their lifestyle of simplicity and modesty. Any technology that does not uphold the Gelassenheit principles is banned from use. Electricity is seen as a connection with the outside world and violates the Amish principle of separation from society. Electricity also promotes the use of household items, such as the television, that allow the outside, "English," values of sloth, luxury, and vanity to infiltrate the household. Automobiles are not often used because they degrade the Gelassenheit principle of a small, close-knit community. The Amish fear, with good reason, that these modern transportation technologies will cause them to spread apart, much like most modern American families. Also, the Amish fear that the automobile will promote competition among themselves. They worry that the car will become a status symbol and promote vanity, which is in direct violation of the Gelassenheit value of modesty. The telephone is banned from the household because, much like the automobile, it promotes a separation of community. Instead of taking a carriage or walking to a friend's house, the Amish feel that they would be tempted to simply stay home and speak on the phone. In order to uphold Gelassenheit, many modern technologies have been banned from regular use.
    http://www.shawcreekgeneralstore.com/amish_article1.htm

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

something about that confuses me....