User Tag List

Page 1518 of 6785 FirstFirst ... 51810181418146815081516151715181519152015281568161820182518 ... LastLast
Results 15,171 to 15,180 of 67846

Thread: Random Thought Thread

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

*crosses arms* They are alright.

On a side note, yesterday I accidentally hit some random sequence of keys that disabled my *enter* key unless I am pushing shift at the same time. Does anyone know how to fix this?

ThatGirl

Never mind, I just restarted my computer.

Senior Member Array Keps Mnemnosyne's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Mm

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Because assholes are assholes and nice people are nice.

Actually, it might be more complex than that. I think sometimes people who will work other people to death for a small amount of money have always been fairly financially well-off themselves, or who have never had to do any kind of "dirty" work or manual labor, so they're just being self-absorbed, and possibly even carrying delusions that working class people somehow deserve their fate, or that they're less intelligent, or any number of other dehumanizing classist mentalities that are not entirely unlike racism or nationalism.

Poorer people also tend to tip better, for the reason I just explained. Because they have empathy and they actually comprehend what's going on.

I still think there's room for the "assholes are assholes" theory, though. I know people exist who intentionally will take as much as they can while giving as little as possible just because of being a selfish creep or a sadist, and not simply out of ignorance.
    Thank you Marm for the serious post. I'm not a big fan of the 'assholes are assholes' theory due to most people do seem to be trying to do good if only in their own way. I do agree with the rest though. Now that I think about it the demanding couple have always had workers do the specialty jobs, whereas the easy-going person is just getting too old to do everything that she used to do. They both come from the same upper middle class however. I am a supporter of the empathy-altruism theory and the first group hasn't had the opportunity to see how difficult their demands can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Hmm...

If that's the case, I would probably give you books, gameboy, etc. you keep you occupied. Your survival will be "built in".
    I never expect tips, so I would enjoy the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Thank you. Truly.
    Sorry Kasper and any other mods reading this thread, I would never report a post unless it was important. I know slightly about the whole evil email-notifications things bothering you guys and don't wish to invoke the Mods than need be for fear of swift retribution and lightning strikes.

Random thought: If I think your soil is awesome, I'll say so.
    Love wouldn't exist without loneliness to inspire it.

Peach yogurt is made of love. And gnome kidneys. - Domino

I can cope and will cope without polluting my lungs. - Saslou

Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Keps Mnemnosyne View Post
    Thank you Marm for the serious post. I'm not a big fan of the 'assholes are assholes' theory due to most people do seem to be trying to do good if only in their own way. I do agree with the rest though. Now that I think about it the demanding couple have always had workers do the specialty jobs, whereas the easy-going person is just getting too old to do everything that she used to do. They both come from the same upper middle class however. I am a supporter of the empathy-altruism theory and the first group hasn't had the opportunity to see how difficult their demands can be.
    I am mostly into the empathy-altruism theory, but I still believe there are people who are just assholes who really don't care if they're doing "good." I think it is naive to believe all humans are preoccupied with doing good or with the welfare of their fellow man. While most people aren't evil, I don't think all people necessarily think about doing good, either.

I never expect tips, so I would enjoy the books.
    Tips are essential in some states because servers are only paid approximately TWO DOLLARS PER HOUR. That's not even a livable wage, and companies get away with it legally because tips are assumed.

Same thing with dancers - dancers aren't paid at all, they live off of tips only.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Klingon Warrior Princess Array Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Where is your god now?

Yes, that IS a suit jacket under overalls.

“Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

A window to the soul

I think it is naive to believe all humans are preoccupied with doing good or with the welfare of their fellow man. While most people aren't evil, I don't think all people necessarily think about doing good, either.
    +1

Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Where is your god now?

Yes, that IS a suit jacket under overalls.

That's a huge fashion faux pas right there.

It's like, look, either you're a farmer or you're a yuppie. Mixing farmer ironically with "yuppie" is not only an insult to farmers, but makes you look like a big huge dork. I don't think I could even have a conversation with that guy without laughing. I couldn't take anything he said seriously, and that's a pretty big statement from me because usually I like it when people dress differently or have a unique style or whatever, I'm not conservative by any means, but that particular clothing combo is just absurd.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post

Remote detonation device?
    The terrorist has a great disguise.

Permabanned Array

I just needed a place to post this.

There is nothing that turns me on more than a woman who uses obscure words. Vocabulary is hot.

Senior Member Array Keps Mnemnosyne's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Mm

I think it is naive to believe all humans are preoccupied with doing good or with the welfare of their fellow man. While most people aren't evil, I don't think all people necessarily think about doing good, either.
    I agree which is why I added in "their own way". I have a roommate who keeps alternating back and forth on hedonism and other philosophies.

Tips are essential in some states because servers are only paid approximately TWO DOLLARS PER HOUR. That's not even a livable wage, and companies get away with it legally because tips are assumed.

Same thing with dancers - dancers aren't paid at all, they live off of tips only.
    The lowest wage I've seen is four dollars; I'm not sure how people survive dependent on tips.
    Love wouldn't exist without loneliness to inspire it.

Peach yogurt is made of love. And gnome kidneys. - Domino

I can cope and will cope without polluting my lungs. - Saslou