User Tag List

Page 1034 of 6765 FirstFirst ... 3453493498410241032103310341035103610441084113415342034 ... LastLast
Results 10,331 to 10,340 of 67645

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Sniffles

Whew....my mind has been on working on overdrive today in various fields.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    The F/A-18 is good, but I don't think it compares to the F15c Eagle, which was the ideal dogfighter of it's day before the coming of the Sukhoi's SU's. The F/A-18 (very much like the latest F-35) may be ideal for it's flexibility - being able to launch from aircraft carriers, as well as carry the latest cutting edge AMRAAM's, but they do not compare to the F15c in dogfighting capability. I would rather see an F15c against an SU-35 in a dogfight - that would be a lot more of a tied contest.
    It's interesting how dogfighting capabilities are de-emphasized so much in American jet fighters, but still remain the main backbone behind Russian fighter developments - like the SU 35 & 37.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    *smiles back*
    "Your voice is like chocolate...dreamy."
    --WildHorses

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It's interesting how dogfighting capabilities are de-emphasized so much in American jet fighters, but still remain the main backbone behind Russian fighter developments - like the SU 35 & 37.
    I think that's 'cause the Russians maintained the importance of dogfighting - while the Americans developed more stealth-oriented craft like the F22 Raptor (or F-35).

Sniffles

I think that's 'cause the Russians maintained the importance of dogfighting - while the Americans developed more stealth-oriented craft like the F22 Raptor (or F-35).
    Well yes that's true. The American military has a bad habit of seeking to overrely on technology for everything. It's like the old joke about how NASA spent billions developing a pen that could write without ink in outer space, while the Russians just used a pencil.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The minstrel boy to the war is gone
    In the ranks of death ye will find him
    His father's sword he hath girded on
    And his wild harp slung behind him
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNbaAX6SnFw"]Handsome Johnny[/YOUTUBE]

Senior Member Array

The F/A-18 is good, but I don't think it compares to the F15c Eagle, which was the ideal dogfighter of it's day before the coming of the Sukhoi's SU's. The F/A-18 (very much like the latest F-35) may be ideal for it's flexibility - being able to launch from aircraft carriers, as well as carry the latest cutting edge AMRAAM's, but it does not compare to the F15c in dogfighting capability. I would rather see an F15c against an SU-35 in a dogfight - that would be a lot more of a tied contest.
    C'mon, you've got to give the F/A-18 credit: the fact that it can carry a lot of AMRAAMs gives it a great tactical advantage.

I think you sell it short. It's smaller and lighter than the F-15, has those nifty leading edge extensions for low-speed maneuverability... after all, the only reason the Hornet (and the Fighting Falcon for that matter) exists is because the F-15 was considered too big for a dogfighter.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Senior Member Array

So sad that it should come to this.