User Tag List

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IT

Default Company made verbal offer, but lowered after I accepted the position. What do I do?

Alright, what the heck do I do? This company made me an offer that sounded really great, so I decided to accept. After accepting they knock 3k off the base salary, so now I'm 10K below average. Also, bonuses went from being 6% per quarter, to 6% of quarterly earnings at each quarter's performance review. Relocation went from free car and housing for a month, to 5K one time payout, to nothing at all. And there isn't a mention of a sign on bonus.

The only reason I'm asking this question is because I know it might be bad to go back on an offer..

What do I do here? Do I stick it to the company and say no thanks (I can't believe I got cheated, but I really need a job), or what?

I can't believe this.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by mysavior View Post
    Alright, what the heck do I do? This company made me an offer that sounded really great, so I decided to accept. After accepting they knock 3k off the base salary, so now I'm 10K below average. Also, bonuses went from being 6% per quarter, to 6% of quarterly earnings at each quarter's performance review. Relocation went from free car and housing for a month, to 5K one time payout, to nothing at all. And there isn't a mention of a sign on bonus.

The only reason I'm asking this question is because I know it might be bad to go back on an offer..

What do I do here? Do I stick it to the company and say no thanks (I can't believe I got cheated, but I really need a job), or what?

I can't believe this.
    I realise that you need a job, but do you really want to relocate with a company that appear unprofessional?

If you like the city you are planning on relocating to and need the income then I would accept the offer and stick around for at least a year. In that time do some networking, even consider (if you haven't already) online career linking to stay in the loop.

If you already have a job and like where you are living then why bother? If they have gone back on what they initially offered you then what difference does it make? It's business.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ISTP

1) Is it literally verbal only? No email, nothing?

2) Are you able to deal with the same person who made the offer? Is it a group of different people?

3) Do you believe it is intentional or more of a "military recruiter" selling you the world, then being passed off to boot camp where your dreams are crushed?

4) How risk tolerant are you? Can you really afford not to have a job?

5) Can you search for a new job anywhere nearby? Are you locked into a contract?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm sorry that you really seemingly got the shaft on this.

Personally, I consider acceptance of an offer to refer only to the offer that was made. If someone changes the terms of the offer after acceptance is made, then you are allowed to reconsidered. This is how other industries work (such as real estate) -- you can't change the terms after both parties have accepted them, without reopening negotiations.

Did you sign something? I assume your acceptance was as verbal as their original offer. If so, you aren't required to accept their offer. They were allowed to change it; so are you, if they want to play that way.

So it comes down to you now: Is their new offer acceptable or not? If you don't want it, and if keeping on good terms with this company is not important to you, then refuse to take their new offer. Perhaps for some reason you do not want to lose contact with this company, so maybe you feel like you can't reject the changes... but that is still your decision to make.

(And if another company would ask you later what happened, I would flat out tell them that the company changed their offer after you had accepted, and it was no longer acceptable, and you desired to work for a company with integrity.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

I can't believe this.
    Was this a verbal or a written offer? Nothing is official until it's in writing. But it is shady of them to give you a verbal offer and all of those bonuses and then change the terms once you agree to employment. I'd take this as a sign of how they treat their employees and I'd think twice about working there.

Have you asked them why they reneged on their initial offer? Are they desperate for employees? The initial bonuses may have been a lure of new graduates desperate for a job. What's turnover like at this company? How is employee satisfaction? If possible, talk to HR or the hiring manager and see what happened. Maybe there was a snafu.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

First, maybe there's a disconnect between the person hiring you and HR? Talk with the hiring manager directly about the discrepancy.

If the discrepancy remains, inform them that you need "a little more time to think it over," especially since the terms have changed. Call back and ask for more salary than they originally offered, but they don't have to give you the other benefits promised. Once you accept, you've given up your negotiating power until you can prove that you're worth more.

If you never received any offer in writing, you could send them an acceptance letter which details their verbal commitments and the person making them. They might just ignore these when payroll time comes around though.

MBTI
    INTP

Throw a brick at their car!

MBTI
    INTJ

It depends on the state the job is in whether or not verbal contracts are enforceable. I agree with most of the other comments here - talk to HR and/or the person who made the job offer, etc. I had a similar situation myself, and ultimately refused the position and remained with my other employer.

MBTI
    GONE

Default Danger Will Robinson! Abort! Abort!

That is exactly what they have done to you. Your contract has been breached. That means you are no longer beholden to it. Unless you both agreed to amend parts of the contract or replace it with another contract, the contract is voided and you are free to do as you please. Get a lawyer to draft your 'shove it where the sun don't shine' letter to said company and start your job search again.

10k less than usual? Holy crap. Unless you are 1 dollar away from living in a cardbox box feeding a family of 7 sick infants with nothing but mystery cans thrown out from your local super -- uh, you CAN afford to pass it up and look elsewhere.

Don't enter a job or any other relationship on a bad first step. Once someone or some entity knows they can disrespect you it will only go downhill from there.

Let us know how it turns out!

And if you didn't catch it from my subtle message, either renegotiate it all the way back up or turn them down.

They may even be bluffing you, especially if you plan on going into sales, maybe they are testing your sales smarts.