Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    That's true, but if you are strong enough to not let them hurt you, then it is your responsibility to take care of the weak.
    Or to eliminate them.

Anyway, it's just sickening that lawsuits go on because of simple name calling, as if people are not entitled to express their opinions. And let's be honest, there are certain groups that certain people don't like.

In theory, I would be more offended by being called an idiot than a cracker or honkey, because that's a direct insult to the essence of self. (This is not to say I actually am offended.)

Mockery of a person's race is more a superficial insult. Words like "idiot" or "moron," by their very nature should be the ones that cut deep.

EDIT: And who is this Jack Shit? I think he'd prefer it if you called him Mr. Shit.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    ...simple name calling, as if people are not entitled to express their opinions.
    Oh kids these days. Please look it up on the new fangled internet the difference between 'protected speech' and 'unprotected speech'.

And let's be honest, there are certain groups that certain people don't like.
    Yeah, like those fucking librarians! Always think know so godammned much about the Dewey Decimal system.

But...

What was your point?

In theory, I would be more offended by being called an idiot than a cracker or honkey, because that's a direct insult to the essence of self. (This is not to say I actually am offended.)
    The essence of your self to be sure.

What else would a white, straight, quite Aryan male such as yourself have to be hurt by? You're not even ethnic enough to want to have a machismo brawl over someone calling you a slag. Though I'm sure "poor white trash" could hit a nerve.

Hate words only hurt because they are 1) meant to hurt, intimidate, and control people and 2) they are threats and reminders of real violence.

You know how they say the truth hurts? Like if you really do look dumb in that shirt or fat in that dress?

Let's take it to another level: racist epithets (and there are many colorful ones). These originate at very violent times in history when 2 races "meet" let's say, and usually 1 killed or enlsaved the other. Basically, not fun times (at least for the people being dehumanized).

Those same words are still used today reminds non-whites that not only historically have we been killed, raped, and maimed because we are non-white, but there are people who STILL think we should and further there are people who actually want to and could very well kill, rape, or maim us.

Basically, epithets are used to keep people in their place and are packed with and backed by violence. Therefore they go beyond the typical realm of "please, may I, thank you" and regular speech.

Uber, can we get personal for second? Can you go there with me?

Have you ever had a really traumatic experience? Something really personal and painful and cut so deep that you have a physical reaction remembering it?
    Just imagine if your vilest, most hated enemy were armed with this information and used it to poke at you and RECREATE it for you.

That's basically the point and the damage potential of hate speech.

Let's take it 1 step further (because Auntie Cze Cze cares like that). Generally, if I'm walking down the street and someone calls me a dyke, it may not necessarily hurt me but it can very well SCARE me. Especially if's late at night and Auntie Cze Cze is greatly outnumbered. Because generally people who HATE ME enough to wildly call me out my name hate me SO MUCH they are willing to do something more and USUALLY WIN. I KNOW this because not only has history proven this, but so has my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and more importantly, the people calling Auntie Cze Cze a dyke (or any the slur of the day) also KNOW this and are in fact, banking on this.

It's like trolling on forums, except IRL trolls slam you with a baseball bat instead of an emoticon.

So....does any of this help?

Let me know, because again, Auntie Cze Cze is aware and I care...about you.

EDIT: And who is this Jack Shit? I think he'd prefer it if you called him Mr. Shit.
    That's "the shit". As in Auntie Cze Cze is the shit, yo! You're welcome.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Oh kids these days. Please look it up on the new fangled internet the difference between 'protected speech' and 'unprotected speech'.

Yeah, like those fucking librarians! Always think know so godammned much about the Dewey Decimal system.

But...

What was your point?

The essence of your self to be sure.

What else would a white, straight, quite Aryan male such as yourself have to be hurt by? You're not even ethnic enough to want to have a machismo brawl over someone calling you a slag. Though I'm sure "poor white trash" could hit a nerve.

Hate words only hurt because they are 1) meant to hurt, intimidate, and control people and 2) they are threats and reminders of real violence.

You know how they say the truth hurts? Like if you really do look dumb in that shirt or fat in that dress?

Let's take it to another level: racist epithets (and there are many colorful ones). These originate at very violent times in history when 2 races "meet" let's say, and usually 1 killed or enlsaved the other. Basically, not fun times (at least for the people being dehumanized).

Those same words are still used today reminds non-whites that not only historically have we been killed, raped, and maimed because we are non-white, but there are people who STILL think we should and further there are people who actually want to and could very well kill, rape, or maim us.

Basically, epithets are used to keep people in their place and are packed with and backed by violence. Therefore they go beyond the typical realm of "please, may I, thank you" and regular speech.

Uber, can we get personal for second? Can you go there with me?

Have you ever had a really traumatic experience? Something really personal and painful and cut so deep that you have a physical reaction remembering it?
    Just imagine if your vilest, most hated enemy were armed with this information and used it to poke at you and RECREATE it for you.

That's basically the point and the damage potential of hate speech.

Let's take it 1 step further (because Auntie Cze Cze cares like that). Generally, if I'm walking down the street and someone calls me a dyke, it may not necessarily hurt me but it can very well SCARE me. Especially if's late at night and Auntie Cze Cze is greatly outnumbered. Because generally people who HATE ME enough to wildly call me out my name hate me SO MUCH they are willing to do something more and USUALLY WIN. I KNOW this because not only has history proven this, but so has my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and more importantly, the people calling Auntie Cze Cze a dyke (or any the slur of the day) also KNOW this and are in fact, banking on this.

It's like trolling on forums, except IRL trolls slam you with a baseball bat instead of an emoticon.

So....does any of this help?

Let me know, because again, Auntie Cze Cze is aware and I care...about you.
    Awesome!

"the shit". As in Auntie Cze Cze is the shit, yo! You're welcome.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    ESTP are the top swearers for sure. I've yet to meet an ESTP my age who doesn't use a profanity in every sentence.
    Haha, my ESTP mother curses like a sailor. I have to remind her when it's inappropriate!

As for me, it depends with whom I'm speaking. If I'm talking to my ESTP mother, then I tend to swear more than normal. Normally, I don't swear too much though. I very rarely write swears & I refuse to swear in an argument (it lessens the point!).

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ok- the whole swearing thread made me start to wonder- what type swears the most? Or does personality type even come into play on this issue?
    I don't think personality type comes into it anywhere near as much as other social factors, such as place of origin, home cultures, religious beliefs and perhaps even gender and class.

I swear all the time, I've no problem with it whatsoever. But then, my attitude towards it is pretty normal for my generation in the UK. If I were to stand amongst others of my age around here, of any class or gender (or even religious persuasion, except maybe Evangelical Christians, but you don't tend to meet many of those in these parts), and say the things INTJMom was saying in the other thread, I'd be laughed at. I can't imagine anyone sympathizing with it.

I definitely think that age has more to do with it than anything else, in Europe at least, where 'that kind' of Christianity is definitely the exception and not the rule. Words that were universally considered offensive in the time of my parents are now only considered offensive by people their age and older, whilst to people younger they're generally just simple words. There's an awareness that there are those who are offended by them, so a tendency to censor one's language in the presence of older people, but it's generally a matter of accommodation/concession.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've never heard my mom swear and have only heard my dad swear while talking about politicians! On the other hand, after a good 8 years in a variety of sports I can outcurse most people!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

i swear but not angrilly... does that count?... my ISTJ (or ISFJ) friend swears like soo much tho... and angrilly.

and my entp sister used to swear alot... but now she is a dedicated goodie-goodie who critisizes (sp) me on swearing