User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Question Do You Re-Realize Things?

Have you ever experienced a revelation only to realize that it's what "they" were telling you all your life? Or, in more relative pertinence, have you ever known something on a factual level; but later you understood it further because you experienced it, or obtained some sort of intertwined connection between yourself and common knowledge?

This sometimes makes me wish we had psychic powers so that we could make each other have common experiences.

Even as I read this post, I know you aren't going to fully understand what I'm saying because of this.

Please share your thoughts.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Yes.

Sometimes, I re-realize things when I've already realized what I knew to be true, but was either:

a. in denial
    b. giving the benefit of the doubt
    c. couldn't have imagined exactly what it would be like to have certain motives that aren't in sync with mine. I had been forewarned, only to go through loops starting at a&b.. again.

MBTI
    SEXY

All the time. I hardly ever have 'epiphanies'. I construct theories, deconstruct them, reconstruct them in the same or a different way etc. It's always an evergoing process and sometimes I realize that something I dismissed in the past is actually true.
    (removed)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, I do this constantly too.

I think so much, I usually work through an issue intellectually long before I deal with it emotionally.

And the thing is that something might seem like it makes sense, but you never really get it until you live it out. Some human beings can project very well and empathize in a general way, but once you go through the experience, everything crystalizes and it changes your heart and soul like you've gone through a hot forge.

In my opinion, you do not own knowledge until you have lived it.
    Otherwise you are just an armchair quarterback.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, I do this constantly too.

I think so much, I usually work through an issue intellectually long before I deal with it emotionally.

And the thing is that something might seem like it makes sense, but you never really get it until you live it out. Some human beings can project very well and empathize in a general way, but once you go through the experience, everything crystalizes and it changes your heart and soul like you've gone through a hot forge.

You have to own the knowledge for it to be truly yours... if you haven't walked the walk, you're just talking the talk.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

It's that feeling you get after eating a piece of cake and then realizing that you can't have it anymore.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Tons of times.

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
    Winston Churchill

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Actually, I tend to "de-realize" things. When I hear conventional wisdom, it seems to make sense on the surface, and I go ahead and accept it, shape my worldview around it. I'm usually rather compliant, actually.

But then, I see something that doesn't fit... and I think about it, and realize WHY "they" say it, and that it is one way of seeing it, but that it's not necessarily the best way of seeing it.

I always see that there is (or was) a purpose behind everything they say, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

You have to own the knowledge for it to be truly yours... if you haven't walked the walk, you're just talking the talk.
    It seems that way only because you're too sensitive to your own experiences. On the other hand, who isn't?

I know it can feel that way when people constantly refuse to validate you, but it neglects the value of an unaffected perspective, the ability to see things as they appear from outside.

I don't think there's such a thing as "just" an armchair quarterback or "just" talking the talk. I believe there are things that lie beyond experience, that can make everything we've experienced... meaningless. Such people are definitely missing a part of the picture, yes, but so are those who've experienced something... they can no longer see it from the outside quite so clearly.

Experience is an inside understanding of what something feels like, such that this becomes a part of your worldview. It's nothing more, and nothing less, even though it seems like so much more.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I do this a lot too.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yes.

I put it down to being incredibly stubborn in the past .. It is OK if i am being told something, even if it is true .. But it is my place to make the connections, experience it and then finally own it.

Thanks for the idea and input but let me apply it to my life please.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe