User Tag List

View Poll Results: Burn out or fade away?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Burn Out

5 29.41%
  • Fade Away

12 70.59%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Don't make me link to a youtube of Queen, dammit. 'Cause I will if I have to.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Where's the option where I think I'll lose all conscious awareness of anything, and cease to exist altogether?
    It is hardly an option.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Don't make me link to a youtube of Queen, dammit. 'Cause I will if I have to.
    A punishment may be in order but..
    ..not Queen.

Do not overdo it.
    I say fair play is better.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Nah, he burned out a long time ago. His body just didn't get the message until last year.
    You pose a compelling counterargument.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So come on, I imagine everyone has thought about this.

Burn out - Enter heaven backwards in a ball of flame, hanging out of the window of your car saying "where's the women".

Fade away - Live to see the fruits of your labour. Live to see what happens next with the world, your children, the next door neighbours love affair ..whatever.
    Did not Shakespeare write King Lear to have this thing settled?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    Hey Big Surprise- people like living,lol.
    This is rather a surprise to me. I've always thought that if your supposed to achieve something whilst alive then why not make a mark as you leave?

Some leave this world in a blaze of glory and are remembered almost as much for how they left as for what they did whilst they were here. Personally I'd like it if I managed somehow to leave this existence in some meaningful way rather than by slowly succumbing to the onset of various debilitations. It's not that I dislike the idea of living for an incredible length of time it's just that at some point I will no doubt reach the position where the minuses of living out weigh the boons and at such time I'll no doubt wish that I'd taken that chance and gone out having said something even in my means of dying.

Perhaps it's a control thing? Die by my own means?

I was just curious to see how far this thinking had spread. Looks like the answer is "not far from the knife".
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    This is rather a surprise to me. I've always thought that if your supposed to achieve something whilst alive then why not make a mark as you leave?

Some leave this world in a blaze of glory and are remembered almost as much for how they left as for what they did whilst they were here. Personally I'd like it if I managed somehow to leave this existence in some meaningful way rather than by slowly succumbing to the onset of various debilitations. It's not that I dislike the idea of living for an incredible length of time it's just that at some point I will no doubt reach the position where the minuses of living out weigh the boons and at such time I'll no doubt wish that I'd taken that chance and gone out having said something even in my means of dying.

Perhaps it's a control thing? Die by my own means?

I was just curious to see how far this thinking had spread. Looks like the answer is "not far from the knife".
    That's an interesting thought and good point. Quality of life is definately something to consider. If I could live a pretty decent quality of life while I was really old I would live to live as long as I could and die peacefully in my sleep. I look at it from an observational point of view, I would want to see how the world has changed for as long as I could- when you consider what all has happened in the last 100 years it's fascinating- I would want to see and be a part of it as long as possible and contribute to the story of change. If you don't have a good wuality of life then I could see the point of just being a complete daredevil and doing things you would normally be too afraid to do. Maybe that is why way older people drive so crazily,lol. I saw this bumper sticker that I thought was hilarious-

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    That's an interesting thought and good point. Quality of life is definately something to consider. If I could live a pretty decent quality of life while I was really old I would live to live as long as I could and die peacefully in my sleep. I look at it from an observational point of view, I would want to see how the world has changed for as long as I could- when you consider what all has happened in the last 100 years it's fascinating- I would want to see and be a part of it as long as possible and contribute to the story of change. If you don't have a good wuality of life then I could see the point of just being a complete daredevil and doing things you would normally be too afraid to do. Maybe that is why way older people drive so crazily,lol. I saw this bumper sticker that I thought was hilarious-

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
    I'd clap you on the back and congratulate you for an excellent analogy but I have the unnerving feeling that such would be inappropriate and that you're being serious.

As for watching the change, yes society and technology has changed a hell of a lot in 100 years and if someone could wake me up every hundred years for about a year or so then I'd be happy being immortal (well for a while at least). However to actually have to live through those 100 years and wait for each new thing to arrive in front of me would be torture. The world does not move fast enough to keep me preoccupied for that long. I do have a nasty feeling that I'll be about 80 odd and still wandering about continuing with various experiments and projects suddenly stopping and thinking out loud "Bugger. I was supposed to die in a noteworthy way about 40 years ago. Oh well I guess I'll just have to settle for being old and eccentric."

MBTI
    INTP

Wheres the option for "explode in a fit of joy"?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Wheres the option for "explode in a fit of joy"?
    That's burn out dumb ass!

Going backwards through the gates of heaven in a ball of flame crying out "where's the women?".
    Does that not sound like joy?