Areas of pretention for me:
1. I continue to borrow Tim Winton books at the library even though I never read more than a chapter before crashing into depression. I pretend to read them because I think I should appreciate Australian "literature" more than I do.
2. Feign greater familiarity with cheeses than I actually possess. I once bought almost a kilo of assorted Fetas with the ambition of learning to distinguish with assurance between Bulgarian, Australian and Danish varieties.
3. I refuse to drink Merlot and Pinot Noir because I consider them too "American".
4. I conceal from friends and family the fact that I find Frasier quite humorous.
5. I often say "humorous" when I could just say "funny".