User Tag List

First 23456 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm pretty sure I'm not pretentious in any of the ways that other people are listing. I have preferences for a few higher-cost things, but it isn't in an effort to seem better than others, it's because I think some things are worth paying a bit extra for.

Oh, I thought of something. I feel irrationally proud when I buy an "intelligent" nonfiction book like my ones on string theory and evolutionary genetics. It makes me feel smart. Though I would never buy or read a book for that reason, of course. Does that count as pretentious?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Oh, I thought of something. I feel irrationally proud when I buy an "intelligent" nonfiction book like my ones on string theory and evolutionary genetics. It makes me feel smart. Though I would never buy or read a book for that reason, of course. Does that count as pretentious?
    Do you store them in shelves where they are clearly visible to visitors, or do you just happen to leave them lying around where visitors could see them? Answering no to these questions does not absolve you of possible pretentiousness in these purchases, of course, but answering yes is a pretty sure indicator.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Do you store them in shelves where they are clearly visible to visitors, or do you just happen to leave them laying around where visitors could see them? Answering no to these questions does not absolve you of possible pretentiousness in these purchases, of course, but answering yes is a pretty sure indicator.
    No, I keep them in a drawer right now for lack of shelf space.

But I did leave a book out once because I wanted a particular person to think I was smart, or well-read, or something. Hadn't before or since. I guess it still applies though.

Yay! I'm pretentious too!

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    *PRETENSE. :steam:

^that.
    Different meaning. Naughty INTP.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Same here, and refuse to eat at McDonald's.

In fact, I won't shop at any mid-level or below variety store. Walmart is for the uneducated, unwashed, multitudes.
    I am educated, I wash and I sometimes shop at Walmart. A few weeks ago L and I went out to dinner (Mexican) and stopped by Walmart before heading home. On our way in L says, "I think we're over dressed for this place", which was overheard by Bubba and his family. I quietly told L that it would be best if we didn't draw more attention to that fact and just go in, get what we need and leave.

Btw while the Supercenter near our house is very nice, I am more of a Target girl.

My list-
    1-Folding Laundry. It has to be a certain way or it has to be redone. Ok so that's more OCD, but I didn't want my list to appear puny.
    2-Ironing clothes. It has to be crease free or has to be redone. OCD again. How's this- If you don't use Oxford & Wells spray starch then why bother? :rolleyes2:
    3-Hair cuts. I have been living in NC for 5 years and have yet to find anyone who is acceptable. I won't pay less than $50 because it has been my experience in NC that less than $50 will get you a "Walmart" haircut. Wolf, if I lived in CA I would try and get an appointment with Jonathan Antin himself at either of his salons.
    4-Coffee. I only buy Starbucks. No cheap coffee in our house. I've tried and I am always disappointed.
    5-Nails. Having previously owned a nail salon in Miami I am one picky client! Better do a good job!
    6-Poor service. I hate, hate, hate piss poor service. If I am spending my money in your establishment I expect the best.
    7- Smoking for me too. I am a former smoker and I can tell you that we're the worst. It's a filthy low class thing to do which is one of the many reasons I quit.
    All and all I am a nice person I have quirks just like anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    That's why I try not to shop there, too. Sometimes it's unavoidable because I am, after all, one of the not-so-educated, sometimes-in-need-of-being-washed multitude (AKA a truck driver's wife and the stay-at-home mother of four).
    It happens, especially when you have children. As for the not being so educated comment, you are an intelligent woman so don't say that anymore.
    Last edited by Tigerlily; 11-07-2007 at 03:41 AM.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I can't find a good haircut out here, either. I fly a two-thousand mile round trip for a haircut every couple months... I should probably just drive to LA and get it done by my flaming-gay friend that cuts the hair of celebrities...
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I can't find a good haircut out here, either. I fly a two-thousand mile round trip for a haircut every couple months... I should probably just drive to LA and get it done by my flaming-gay friend that cuts the hair of celebrities...
    You shouldn't have any problems locating someone in your area. I would go to the flaming gay friend rather than fly 2000 miles. That seems more extroverted and bothersome than say driving yourself to LA and enduring a busy salon for less than an hour. Is it your hometown that you're flying back to for a hair cut?

L has mentioned to me more than once that he thinks I should use his air miles to fly back to Miami and get my hair cut/coloured at my former salon. The only two things I miss about South Florida are my Salon and the delectable Latin cuisine.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I also refuse to shop at Walmart.
    - I see them as hostile invaders
    - I dislike their predatory business practices
    - I see them as inferior quality goods (but give them credit for now trying to change their image)
    - Perhaps ironically, I have no problem shopping at Target or ShopKo

I tend to have the initial reaction that anything thats popular/mainstream must only appeal to the media brainwashed masses. It took me several years before I even gave CSI a chance (and its now one of my favorite shows). I also refused to watch Seinfeld on the same basis and have only recently discovered how great it really is. There is still plenty of popular stuff that I don't see the appeal of, but I recognize that I've missed out on some good stuff too, so I try to give things more of a chance than I used to when i was younger.

Coffee? StarBucks is too mainstream for me.
    Ya, its good coffee and I certainly wouldn't refuse a cup of it, but Gevalia, Craven's, Boyd's, and Seattle's Best are all as good or better IMO. If I'm an elitist snob about anything it would be coffee (but I'll still drink the cheap stuff when its the most convenient/available option - even weak watered down coffee is still better than nearly any other drink).

Alcohol?
    I'm not a wine drinker and wouldn't know one brand/location/vintage from another. I don't drink beer (or any alcoholic beverages) often, but if I'm at a pub, I'll choose either Guinness or a microbrew over a domestic, but I doubt I could tell the difference between a microbrew and a domestic in a blind taste test.

Music?
    I probably come across as pretentious there because I like stuff very few people here in the states have even heard of and I think "alternative is not alternative enough for me". The difference is I've actually tried to listen to popular US/Canadian pop and alternative music and most of it just doesn't do anything for me and I want music that either makes me feel something, makes me think, or at least makes me want to move. I don't look down on folks who can enjoy whats popular here, I'm just not affected by it the way they are and so I look for music from other sources.

Mac n Cheese? Generic for teh win! Yum!
    Thats just a preference thing. I grew up eating generic mac and cheese and as a result I prefer its dry cheesiness to the premium Kraft stuff.

Calculators
    I strongly prefer RPN calculators and look down on algebraic calculators as inferior.

Namebrand pre-built PCs
    I know most people don't want to (or know how to) build their own, but if a fellow geek has a pre-built PC from a place like dell and doesn't at least go out of their way to say "well it was a good deal, but the vid card sucked, so I replaced with with a _____" I will shake my head and sigh.

There may be other cases where I'm pretentious but I think overall its mostly just having different preferences as even if I make a judgment about someone based on their preferences or where they shop, its fairly insignificant in weight.

MBTI
    INTJ

I won't stop at a gas station that does not appear outwardly well kept up. And I will go out of my way because of this. And I won't stop at one that isn't one of the major companies even if it is well kept up.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Is there a difference between pretentious and persnickety?
    Because I feel more persnickety.

I can actually do the number codes of all the colors on a computer.
    255-128-0 is orange for instance.
    More specifically, I know where they are on the color wheel, and I have specific names for them, and all kinds of crap like that.

I correct anyone who gets these things wrong.
    Go to sleep, iguana.