User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    NICE

Default Making an ass of myself...

Advice required. I am at the horns of a dilemma.

Earlier today, Ms Trombones & I agreed to go out for a drink. There are two pubs, each 8 minutes' walk from where I live - the Old Red Lion & the New Blue Goose. Both are owned by the same guy and sell exactly the same beer. The price is the same and the type of clientele of a similar demographic. There's nothing between them, if truth be told. Even the decor is the same.

About half an hour before leaving, I've asked Ms Trombones which pub she fancies - she "doesn't mind", apparently. And neither do I mind.

So I flip a coin. The Blue Goose it is. Problem is, she says I'm a hypocrite for basing a decision on the flip of a coin and claiming to be rational. I'm deeply offended at the suggestion, but can't help feeling she might have a point.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Flip a coin to decide if she is right or not.

Great time saver and tool to dodge responsibility (also helpful if you are able to catch the coin in mid air and palm and slap it down on the top of the other hand it in such a manner as to give the outcome you really want.)

Then again there always is the Magic 8 ball; give it to her as a Xmas gift; and use at your pleasure.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post

Great time saver and tool to dodge responsibility (also helpful if you are able to catch the coin in mid air and palm and slap it down on the top of the other hand it in such a manner as to give the outcome you really want.)

Then again there always is the Magic 8 ball; give it to her as a Xmas gift; and use at your pleasure.
    You are the Grandmaster of being a Smart Ass. NICE!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post

Exactly. Truth be told, buddy, I have no preference for one or the other pub. Gale-force winds here in the UK, so limited in our adventures.

I'll bear that in mind as a Xmas gift.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

if there's no rational reason to prefer one over the other, then there is nothing irrational about flipping a coin to decide.
    also it is good to be irrational and shake thing up.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    if there's no rational reason to prefer one over the other, then there is nothing irrational about flipping a coin to decide.
    also it is good to be irrational and shake thing up.
    Yeah, but Ms Trombones' point is - how can any sensible decision be based on the flip of a coin? I was tempted to lie and say the Blue Goose does better G&Ts (which is untrue), but that would have been cheating.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Why is that a sensible decision? It makes no difference what the answer is, so you might as well flip a coin.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Why is that a sensible decision? It makes no difference what the answer is, so you might as well flip a coin.
    Well it would be first and foremost a random option, which may or may not be sensible.

She told me she wants a decision-maker, not some random coin-tosser. That's no way to live, apparently.

Decisions, decisions.

MBTI
    SEXY

How about, the decision in itself was not rational since it was based on chance, but considering the fact that there are no differences between the pubs and neither of you had a preference a rational decision making process would be time consuming and bothersome, and that you made the rational decision to use a coin to decide this completely trivial thing.

That way you can say you rationally made the decision to use the coin. Come of as a rational decision maker, which'll be good for the misses, and you get to keep the use of coin flips to make decisions in the future without looking bad to her.
    (removed)

Ginkgo

You are inhibited from making the decision because you have no preference. Your wife is likewise. Your indecisiveness is the result of two equally appealing options (50/50, to be exact).

However, you make the decision to flip a coin because you still need a decision for which you can act, regardless of who makes it. (This is your rational for flipping the coin.)

The coin has no personal preference, as it is not a person. However, it is bound to make the 50/50 decision for you. Thus, it was the perfect arbitrator for this particular situation.

So, in conclusion, your decision to flip the coin was rational because it was chosen over standing in a dazed homeostasis (homeostasis - being the result of complete reasoning for a particular problem, but no bias toward making a decision because it was 50/50). Therefore, your wife should still love your manly reasoning abilities.

Both decisions were considered with the utmost rational.

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Yeah, but Ms Trombones' point is - how can any sensible decision be based on the flip of a coin? I was tempted to lie and say the Blue Goose does better G&Ts (which is untrue), but that would have been cheating.
    The only sensible decision for a coin toss is that of 50/50 preference, which this is.

If you were to personally assess a situation with 50/50 preference, to make a decision would not be rational.