User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    You are inhibited from making the decision because you have no preference. Your wife is likewise. Your indecisiveness is the result of two equally appealing options (50/50, to be exact).

However, you make the decision to flip a coin because you still need a decision for which you can act, regardless of who makes it. (This is your rational for flipping the coin.)

The coin has no personal preference, as it is not a person. However, it is bound to make the 50/50 decision for you. Thus, it was the perfect arbitrator for this particular situation.

So, in conclusion, your decision to flip the coin was rational because it was chosen over standing in a dazed homeostasis (homeostasis - being the result of complete reasoning for a particular problem, but no bias toward making a decision because it was 50/50). Therefore, your wife should still love your manly reasoning abilities.

Both decisions were considered with the utmost rational.

The only sensible decision for a coin toss is that of 50/50 preference, which this is.

If you were to personally assess a situation with 50/50 preference, to make a decision would not be rational.
    Absolutely correct. I'll buy you a beer, if you're in town.

But at which pub?

Got a coin?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Absolutely correct. I'll buy you a beer, if you're in town.

But at which pub?

Got a coin?

The Tater is a genius!

Thank you for the brain tease!

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

There are such times in which rationality clearly bears no fruit. This was one of those times. Your wife is being the irrational one, from my perspective.

It is not rational to spend time rationally thinking on fruitless descisions.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Your wife is being the irrational one, from my perspective.
    Long time no see, Fluffster!

You must be psychic.

Thanks for the input everyone. Well done, especially Tater who got to the core of the problem.

All credit for the problem must go to a Jean Buridan and Buridan's ass

It caused me some amusement on Saturday night; a distraction from the storm passing through.

Incidently, I wondered if flipping a coin - or some other randomizer - might be appropriate in all circumstances. In Styron's book, Sophie's Choice, A "Sophie's Choice" is a tragic choice between two unbearable options". When Sophie is asked to chose which one of her two children should die, she is asked to make a choice - or else both will be killed.

Would it have been glib of Sophie to ask the SS officer for a coin? Would the SS officer feel he'd been cheated in some way if Sophie's choice had been made by a coin?

All the best.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    So I flip a coin. The Blue Goose it is. Problem is, she says I'm a hypocrite for basing a decision on the flip of a coin and claiming to be rational. I'm deeply offended at the suggestion, but can't help feeling she might have a point.
    What's irrational about that?

You can't decide on logic. (This one has the better music, provides board games and I want to play,....)
    You've GOT to decide on feeling - which do I like better?

Your logic says the worst thing to do is discuss an hour the pros and contras of each pub until deciding which one is slightly better. You lose more by choosing the better one after having to discuss about it too long.
    So. Decide right now. Logic needs more time than he wants to spend? Feeling doesn't help? Random then.

My husband and I have a lot of problems deciding when logic can't help: which food tonight, which game to play,...
    We've got a lot of dice, too, to solve those problems.

Of course, flipping a coin to decide is not very romantic. It gives the evening a "I don't care" feel. It's impersonal. I can imagine people being offended at that...

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

In fact I heard of this in electrical engineering courses, when a sinusodial curve is measured in intervalls and analyzed around a meridian into 1s and 0s. On the exact zero meridian (which is achieved in only 10^(-10) % of the cases) the binary code is supposed to have a gap . Didnt know tho its called Buridian's ass

It's a problem one has to watch often especially in Engineering, cause humans can be tricked easily, machines tho can only be tricked by humans
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    In fact I heard of this in electrical engineering courses, when a sinusodial curve is measured in intervalls and analyzed around a meridian into 1s and 0s. On the exact zero meridian (which is achieved in only 10^(-10) % of the cases) the binary code is supposed to have a gap . Didnt know tho its called Buridian's ass

It's a problem one has to watch often especially in Engineering, cause humans can be tricked easily, machines tho can only be tricked by humans
    Laaaaaaag. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf