User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ

Talking Help Me With My Homework!

I have a project due in two weeks that involves giving a three-minute presentation on a scholarly innovation that has inspired my college career. I am going to do the MBTI! It has inspired my life. The question is...how do I tell my class about the philosophy, psychology, practical applications of, ethical use of, etc. the MBTI in three minutes? I need some ideas to help focus my project.
    Any help? Pleeeeeaaaaassseeee?

Are you doing this on the types themselves or the indicator?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ

I have to present on the Indicator itself as an object of importance--and then I have to write a paper on Isabel Myers as well.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quick thoughts:

The MBTI is a theoretical system that tries to describe human personality, much like the Humors of the Greek Hippocrates, or the Astrology of the ancient Mesopotamians. What sets this post-Enlightenment theory apart from those is it's basis in direct observation and interpretation of people's behavior, and the open explanations of it's inner workings. It does not rely on unknowable mystical forces, nor does it attempt to reduce personality to physiology.

The basic framework of the theory is derived from Jung's functions, but is not limited to or completely defined by them. So the criticisms that MBTI is completely unsubstantiated and based only on things like alchemy and metaphysics are based on spurious equation of the MBTI with Jung's theories due to it's origin.

Isabel Myers did go through much of her own research before and after adopting the framework, and in fact chose to use Jung's theories because they seemed to fit with what she and her mother Katharine had already observed of human nature.

Suggested reading:

C.G. Jung -- Psychological types

Isabel Myers -- Gifts Differing

MBTI
    INFJ

Thanks for the summary! I knew I would get some good info if you posted!

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Suggested reading:

C.G. Jung -- Psychological types
    I have heard this is not for the faint of heart. Is it true?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OctaviaCaesar View Post
    I have heard this is not for the faint of heart. Is it true?
    It should be fine as long as you're patient, and have a dictionary. If you think abstractly enough, and don't need literal examples or entertainment, it's easy. Then again, I'm an enneagram 4w5, so it might be easier for me than for others because of that darn 5 wing.

That seems to result in me occasionally saying things that I think are reasonably common knowledge, but then I end up confusing people, and not understanding why it's confusing or too much work for them to see what I'm saying. That's always frustrating, so I've gotten to a point that I tend to avoid using many words or ideas I learned after age seven, or that I haven't specifically heard several people use with one another in a particular environment.

I don't do that here so much, because people here seem better at understanding what I mean without that approach.

MBTI
    INFJ

Wow. That enneagram stuff just went over my head.