Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default A new study of idiocy.

Why do people get tattoos expressing their love for their significant other?

If you break up, which is statistically bound to happen, the tattoo will have been a terrible waste of money.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Why do people get tattoos expressing their love for their significant other? If you break up, which is statistically bound to happen, the tattoo will have been a terrible waste of money.
    Obviously, you just use a placeholder name ("I Love Jane Doe" or "<Insert Name Here> 4ever") instead of a real name, silly.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

I can't stand people my age who get tattoos of a celebrity or some phrase they like. Then are like, but it means something OMG! it's sooo personal. Alright fine it means something now but will five years from now, likely not I'm in my early 20s. I still am trying to figure out my views and opinions and I suspect most everyone my age is aswell. I just can't see myself being the same place and believing the same things I do now. Then again I never understood the need to put a hole through my body or permentally stain my skin. But maybe I'm just weird. Or dye my hair a weird color. And they call it self expression, it's not self expression if all your friends and everyone else you know does it as well.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    it's not self expression if all your friends and everyone else you know does it as well.
    Why not?

I also do not like it when people get tattoos with names of significant others on them. But it is there body and effects me in no way.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    yupp

I mean if all of your friends dyed their hair orange, then you did aswell. and what exactly are you trying to express anyways? You have orange hair congratulations, would you like a cookie cake with the words "OMG U R Sooo Original LOL!!!" ok that would probably more for a fourteen year old but you get the point.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Why not?

I also do not like it when people get tattoos with names of significant others on them. But it is there body and effects me in no way.
    But these people are still idiots. What they do to their body says something about their mental capacity. And they annoy me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I mean if all of your friends dyed their hair orange, then you did aswell. and what exactly are you trying to express anyways? You have orange hair congratulations, would you like a cookie cake with the words "OMG U R Sooo Original LOL!!!" ok that would probably more for a fourteen year old but you get the point.
    The fact that other people wish to express themselves the same as you does not detract from the fact that it expresses you, too. If I felt that I could truly express myself by having orange hair, but then my friend did it...then I guess it wouldn't express me anymore right? You never really know what people are like.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

I don't know anyone irl that has done this..

I think the only name I would ever have tatooed on me would be "mom". Or maybe "Cottonball". I loved that hamster..
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Interesting that the Ps think that such permanency is foolish whilst the, so far, sole J who's posted thinks it's fine.

Personally I think that the OP is a perfect example of exactly why it IS sometimes the right thing to do. It shows commitment and faith. Solidarity.

It may well turn out to be myopic and ill advised but that's precisely the point. Only in risking such do you show commitment. Without any threat of cost how are people to believe that you'll stand by them?

Of course such behaviour and thinking has lead to many problems but similar could be said about many things. The point is that by putting something there to lose your showing that you have faith that you will not lose it. (Well either that or your very bad at risk assessment )
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Interesting that the Ps think that such permanency is foolish whilst the, so far, sole J who's posted thinks it's fine.
    Well, I actually don't think it's a good idea. I am just saying that it is up to the person doing it and there is no point in anyone else getting upset over it.