Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default To wonder...

Has anyone ever noticed how PC gamers are portrayed as losers while the console gamers are less likely to be?

I wonder why this is? Anyone have theories?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Has anyone ever noticed how PC gamers are portrayed as the bigger losers than console gamers?

Because a PC gamer likely actually takes the time to upgrade/maintain their system, with all the little intricacies and such, and the system tends to support only one player at a time.

A console gamer could be having friends over to play with them, and it implies they probably aren't as "into it" because it's mostly pre-configured, and doesn't require as much time/maintenance. So they seem more "normal."

Does that make sense?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Does that make sense?
    Perfect sense. Back in my Halo 2 days, it wasn't uncommon for me and my roomys to have over over 16 other people to play tournaments. Then came Xbox live and it became even more sociable.

I think WOW has really bridged a lot of the gap though.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Perfect sense. Back in my Halo 2 days, it wasn't uncommon for me and my roomys to have over over 16 other people to play tournaments. Then came Xbox live and it became even more sociable.

I think WOW has really bridged a lot of the gap though.
    I thought WoW was overrated. I really don't play computer games anymore, but I played Ultima Online for like 7 years, until I graduated high school.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh fuck, that reminds me! My new motherboard, RAM and CPU should be coming any day now!

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Has anyone ever noticed how PC gamers are portrayed as losers while the console gamers are less likely to be?

Yes I've noted this, but it's only a slight difference in image, for what I've seen. Console players are portrayed with more average intelligence and PC players with a bit higher intelligence.

The jokes made on both groups both include dumb players. In console group, they are often represented as childishly dumb, or as someone who were sporty (and hence dumb: it is another stereotype). PC players are more often portrayed as too smart for their own good and hence dumb, but also with other flavors.

I categorize all "image" things according to the level of audience. This is what the worst people think. This is what the average people think if it. This is what the top people think of it.

Perception of playing doesn't matter to me at all, personally speaking. I've thought other things about playing but that's perhaps another story.. or perhaps not.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Most avid PC users are familiar with terms like RAM, CPU, Gigahertz, motherboard, etc... Computers are also higher maintenance for a lot of reasons (both hardware and software). To play a console the only knowledge one needs is to know how to put the disc into the console and push some buttons. PC gamer = nerd. Console gamer = normal person.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Now that I think of it, we were having this discussion a while back about types and video games.

It does make sense that console gaming appeals more to SPs because most console games are about hand-eye coordination, while PC gaming appeals more to NTs because it's more about precision.

I know from experience, for example, that first-person shooters are much better on the PC than the console.

I was also thinking that PC gamers have less of a life because their faces are on average closer to the screen, while console gamers play more at a distance. I suppose this could lead PC gamers to be more focused and aware of less in the environment.

PC games also seem to have better storytelling than console, with the possible exception of Halo and some others. Story-oriented games, I guess you can say, are more geared to nerdy types.

MBTI
    ISTP

Game players = consoles = fun kids/immature adults/less intelligent.

Computers = techie = nerd = social misfit/introvert/anti-social

IMO!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

While I am familiar with the computer terms, make no mistake that I don't know how to put it together -- too impatient for that and I worry about breaking parts, so I have my slaves do it for me!