User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP

Default I'm going to Disney World!!!

We skipped our yearly beach vacation this year to save up and go to Disney World. Anyone have any tips? Our kids are 7 yo (boy), 5 and 3 (girls).

I am sure my ISFJ wife has it all planned out (I have seen 3 ring binders during various stages of planning with "Disney" on the cover) but it would still be fun to drop some knowledge on her. Ok, truth is that I would like to scurry in at the last minute after having done none of the research and criticize her plan. It's what I do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Hey, have fun! We went a couple of years ago when ours were 7 and 2. I recommend selling the youngest one to finance the trip.

Just kidding! Sort of. They have very sophisticated ways of parting you from your cash. Here's what I learned:

If you know someone who belongs to the Vacation Club (the Disney timeshare) a cheaper way to stay "on campus" is to buy points from them to book at a Vacation Club resort. That's what we did, and we ended up in a pretty swank 1-BR suite with a full kitchen at Old Key West for about the price we would ordinarily have paid to stay in one of the All Star hotels with one room, two double beds, a minifridge and a microwave.

The rented double strollers saved our butts. They're big enough for a 7yo and a 2yo to ride in together so we were able to book it from place to place at an adult pace when need be. And let the big kid have a break from walking, which really preserved her mood. Plus, if you rent it you don't have to lug it from park to park or back to the hotel. It's expensive but for us it was worth it.

Mid January-early February is an awesome time to go. It's warm there, but not hot, and the crowds are super thin. That's when we went, and we were able to swim in the heated pools and wear shorts and everything. Apparently late August through mid-September (excepting Labor Day weekend) is also great crowd-wise, but hotter.

I think we will consider using the Dining Plan next time. We thought we would save money by cooking in the suite kitchen, but groceries in Orlando were super expensive. With the Dining Plan you can just prepay, eat in the parks/resorts most of the time, and not worry about it. There are even some deals you can get where the Dining Plan is included.

Sign up for the MouseSavers.com newsletter. Lots of good pointers and deals therein.

Have fun!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

Thanks for the advice. I don't think selling our youngest will help though. She would just find her way back like a lost kitten. But then she would be angry. Just. Not. Worth. It.

Okay, I know we have the dining plan because when we were making the final plans, the disney person on the phone said "have you checked out the website?". That day they had just started offering a free dining plan. Crazy. I think ISFJ said that one comment saved us like $750.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Awesome!!! Yeah, they're really trying to make it worth your while these days. "In this economy" and all that.

Another thing about the Dining Plan is that you can use it for some of the Character Dining stuff. We did the Princess Breakfast in Epcot's Norway restaurant, and the kids loved it. My son got really interested in his bacon every time a princess visited our table. Some of those things need to be booked pretty early though.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

your resident asshole

Woah woah woah. How could I have missed this thread? I love Disney World.

I don't really have any advice though, so this post is pretty useless.

Erm...

Have fun!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Woah woah woah. How could I have missed this thread? I love Disney World.

I don't really have any advice though, so this post is pretty useless.

Erm...

Have fun!

That's okay. Thanks for the post!

We are leaving in a few hours and I haven't packed yet. ISFJ is going to kill me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    We are leaving in a few hours and I haven't packed yet. ISFJ is going to kill me.

*You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis