User Tag List

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default No such thing as a silly question .. Or is there???

OK, maybe i should rename this thread .. Post if you are as high as a kite.

Nothing illegal just prescription drugs, but never mind.

So i have 2 questions.

1 - Why when you close your eyes, do you see that pale yellow (in my case) design/image that merges together, vanishes then does the same again and again and again to the point it drives you insane?

2 - Space. How can you prove space is expanding and by what means can you measure it? If space is expanding, will it continue for infinity or hit an imaginary brick wall? Will it implode and at what point would we know about it?

Yeah, i have been lying in bed for the last 5 hours unable to move so i have been thinking of some very random stuff.
    I'll come back later to see if anyone has replied, need to get rid of the shakes and possibly be sick.

Thank you if anyone replies.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I don't think there's such thing as a silly question unless it's silly >_>

1. It is an afterimage or 'ghost image' which is an optical illusion. Here is a bit of info. There are positive and negative after images. No one really knows about the process of positive afterimages.
    The negative afterimage is "caused when the eye's photoreceptors, primarily those known as cone cells, adapt from the over stimulation and lose sensitivity."

2. It is a theory brought about and no one really knows. Although I quite doubt there is a big imaginary wall at some point.

Hope you get better soon.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    2 - Space. How can you prove space is expanding and by what means can you measure it? If space is expanding, will it continue for infinity or hit an imaginary brick wall? Will it implode and at what point would we know about it?
    Space can hit an imaginary brick wall any time you wish it. Maybe it will expand until it goes full circle and collapses in on itself forming another singularity which spontaneously re-explodes into another Big Bang creating the next universe. Maybe its like a giant cosmic inhale and exhale that goes on for eternity.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

1 - Why when you close your eyes, do you see that pale yellow (in my case) design/image that merges together, vanishes then does the same again and again and again to the point it drives you insane?
    Sometimes I wonder if colors look the same to other people, or if we just get used to labeling them the same. Maybe your red is my blue, etc. It's disturbing to think about.

It's strangely reassuring that you see yellow also when you close your eyes! I always thought I was seeing a microscopic image of my eyelids. Do you also wonder about the eye floaters that you can never look directly at because as soon as you move your eye they float away? Terrible.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if colors look the same to other people, or if we just get used to labeling them the same. Maybe your red is my blue, etc. It's disturbing to think about.

It's strangely reassuring that you see yellow also when you close your eyes! I always thought I was seeing a microscopic image of my eyelids. Do you also wonder about the eye floaters that you can never look directly at because as soon as you move your eye they float away? Terrible.
    Although I can not vouch for color intensity. The spectrum is not just random colors after each other. Color blind people, have trouble with certain distinctions and intensities.

Ultimatly however, yellow is yellow is yellow.

As for space expanding. They've pretty much measured that solar systems, stars, matter in space is slowly moving further apart. Thus the theory of expanse. But it's not that space itself is expanding. But that matter in space is expanding. Space itself is thought to be infinite.

But I know the answer to everything. The answer lies in this example:

nothing -> the answer -> everything.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    As for space expanding. They've pretty much measured that solar systems, stars, matter in space is slowly moving further apart. Thus the theory of expanse. But it's not that space itself is expanding. But that matter in space is expanding. Space itself is thought to be infinite.

But I know the answer to everything. The answer lies in this example:

nothing -> the answer -> everything.
    How do you know that matter is expanding when you can not see matter apparently?

Who came up with the theory that space is infinite? It can not be proved (please prove me wrong). To me, it seems seems silly that one day some man (please don't tell me it was Hawkings) said that space is infinate and as we have no means to prove it, we'll just take it as gospal.

My answer lies in this example:

Theory -> Evidence -> Proof

I apologise, i know i am a pain the ass with my questions.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

How do you know that matter is expanding when you can not see matter apparently?

Who came up with the theory that space is infinite? It can not be proved (please prove me wrong). To me, it seems seems silly that one day some man (please don't tell me it was Hawkings) said that space is infinate and as we have no means to prove it, we'll just take it as gospal.

My answer lies in this example:

Theory -> Evidence -> Proof

I apologise, i know i am a pain the ass with my questions.
    We can see matter. It's measured by noticing that stellar bodies are drifting apart. Although very slowly. We got telescopes and stuff to measure it.

The theory that space itself is infinite isn't a weird one either. People tend to see space as matter, as something touchable. But it isn't. There is matter and by the standards of matter we define space. Space itself is empty, nothing. Has no physical attributes. And is therefor infinite.

The theory of space being limited, like you suddenly run into a wall, is a weirder theory. (And not an accepted theory either. :P )
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

If space (or the universe) is contained within a box with walls, what is on the other side of the wall? And how is what is beyond that not considered space?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    We can see matter. It's measured by noticing that stellar bodies are drifting apart. Although very slowly. We got telescopes and stuff to measure it.

The theory that space itself is infinite isn't a weird one either. People tend to see space as matter, as something touchable. But it isn't. There is matter and by the standards of matter we define space. Space itself is empty, nothing. Has no physical attributes. And is therefor infinite.

The theory of space being limited, like you suddenly run into a wall, is a weirder theory. (And not an accepted theory either. :P )
    I had someone explain matter to me, as i don't think my brain is able to understand that concept. Matter is in space, yet matter is nothing. How is the human brain able to understand the concept of nothing.
    I know standing in a room i can see everything around me but i know there is space between me and the monitor. I can't touch it but by moving my hands vigorously, i can feel the effects of it. Yet it is still something.
    Help me understand .. What is nothing?

lol .. The space wall was just an example off the cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    If space (or the universe) is contained within a box with walls, what is on the other side of the wall? And how is what is beyond that not considered space?
    Why would there be anything beyond the box? Could it not just be a very large box? Maybe there is another box at the side of our box and when the 2 hit, it may possibly create something ......... ???

Is this where my Ne or Ni would come in handy if i possessed a better understanding of it.

If i am pissing you off by asking these questions, just tell me to shut up. It would probably be easier someone explaining this to my face as opposed to the Internet.

I am grateful though for you taking the time to answer.
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTP

I had someone explain matter to me, as i don't think my brain is able to understand that concept. Matter is in space, yet matter is nothing. How is the human brain able to understand the concept of nothing.
    I know standing in a room i can see everything around me but i know there is space between me and the monitor. I can't touch it but by moving my hands vigorously, i can feel the effects of it. Yet it is still something.
    Help me understand .. What is nothing?

lol .. The space wall was just an example off the cuff.

Why would there be anything beyond the box? Could it not just be a very large box? Maybe there is another box at the side of our box and when the 2 hit, it may possibly create something ......... ???

Is this where my Ne or Ni would come in handy if i possessed a better understanding of it.

If i am pissing you off by asking these questions, just tell me to shut up. It would probably be easier someone explaining this to my face as opposed to the Internet.

I am grateful though for you taking the time to answer.
    Nothing = the absence of something... There is nowhere on earth where there is "nothing" everything here has matter in it. The space between your face and monitor is filled with the molecules that make up air (think oxygen, nitrogen, carbon gasses), which is gaseous matter. Space is simply absence of matter weather it be gas (air, steam, etc), solid (moon, monitor, ice), liquid (water, coffee, neptune) or plasma (stars and whatnot).

As for the box thing I have no idea, that is the fun thing about space is that no one really knows what the hell is going on, really we only know maybe .0000000000000000000000000001e-1000% of whats out there, as of now it is all theory.