Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Honey, the rational discussion ended as soon as OrangeAppled left the thread.

It DID actually happen, but why should you bother reading any of it? After all, it's long and drawn out and requires thinking!
    What is up with the flame war? I mean, seriously. This is what you're accusing NFPs of but you seem to be just fanning it on. You can't stop yourself.

Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    What is up with the flame war? I mean, seriously. This is what you're accusing NFPs of but you seem to be just fanning it on. You can't stop yourself.

Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi
    Ah, so his hostility is projection, not transference. That answers that question!

It also raises the question of why he hates INFPs so much. His primary accusation is that we personalize and overreact to criticism, so given that his mode is projection, we can take it to mean that he personalizes and overreacts to criticism while believing that it's a horrible thing to do. That in turn raises the question of how INFPs criticize him.

The weakest hypothesis that I can think of is that we frequently attempt to empathize with the emotions that we perceive him displaying, and that he's sufficiently out of touch with his own feelings that he perceives the observation as a violation of his boundaries and counter-attacks, causing the INFPs to defend themselves by criticizing his hypersensitivity -- "geez, dude, I was just making an observation, no need to get all worked up over it."

Since there are many of us and only one of him, he's the only one who can defuse that dynamic. It would require reading something like The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book and actually doing all of the exercises for improving emotional perception. Since he cared enough to deeply study personality theory, I'm optimistic!
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by SciVo View Post
    It also raises the question of why he hates INFPs so much.

I don't hate you guys. You frustrate the crap out of me sometimes but if I hated you I don't think I would study you so much.

I'm not saying I don't have lots to learn about emotional reading--I'm sure I do. But the thing that bugs me about INFPs is that they often won't even acknowledge needing work on the impersonal kind of reasoning, which is equally important.

So it kind of feels like I'm making the first step toward understanding and you're not even bothering to meet me half way. (See how OrangeAppled actually made an effort to speak impersonally for a moment and explain the issue calmly and objectively from the Feeling side? This is by far the best approach here.)

If I read a book on emotional intelligence, I want you to read a critical thinking 101 text book, too--there are lots of situations where impersonal reasoning is necessary.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I hate INFPs because if I make any generalized criticism about them they'll probably take it way too personally.
    I don't hate you guys. You frustrate the crap out of me sometimes but if I hated you I don't think I would study you so much.
    I'm not even going to bother trying to tell which one is true, since then I might stir resentment for presuming to magical psychic powers or something.

If I read a book on emotional intelligence, I want you to read a critical thinking 101 text book, too--there are lots of situations where impersonal reasoning is necessary.
    Pretty sure my degree in math counts, so get crackin'!
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Oh, I see. Since you have a math degree, you know everything about the Thinking perspective and therefore have nothing to learn from me or any other Thinkers.

I also like the obvious selective literal interpretation...as if I could possibly have met and personally evaluated every INFP on the planet.

Ladies and gentlemen, INFP open-mindedness at its finest.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?