User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

I love all accents that side of the ocean. Instant conversation starter. I try to do them but fail miserably. 'Hi there' (with a Canadian nasal drawl)
    My ex being Canadian, i would have moments where i would just listen to how he talked instead of what he was talking about. Other time i wouldn't even notice the accent. Pfft.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

In Ireland at school, Sis and I were rather well-liked because we were Southern. A friend of mine got on the phone with my dad to say hello and got all giggly because she said he sounded "like a cowboy". LOL!

My Australian friend also said he loved a Southern accent but couldn't tolerate urban New Yorkers.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I've had a suspicion for a while now that british girls consider all American men kinda alpha when they meet them/hear them until shown otherwise. Mostly American men in britain. I dunno how accurate that is.
    Err... Not. I think they're kinda sappy. They're certainly more gracious and polite (old school) as a rule, than my lot, or your lot. Aussie/Kiwi men are reckoned more macho. If that's what you mean by "alpha".

I do like the accent though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post

My Australian friend also said he loved a Southern accent but couldn't tolerate urban New Yorkers.
    Nobody can.

As an aside, I am sometimes alarmed at how much an accent can swing the attractiveness of a girl for me. It can be like 2-3 points. I don't know if I've said this before, but this seems familiar, so maybe I have.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Nobody can.
    LOL

they lose it quick when they come to LA

But when you ask them where they are from, for like 5 seconds they talk that new york accent, and then its like... "OHHHHH"....

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

When I got back from school, I was constantly being stopped by strangers because they thought I was foreign. Sis and I were chatting and eating lunch at a Subway one afternoon, and a man in a business suit nearby asked us politely if we were from Australia (he'd just returned from said place). No, it was just an unholy mix of NC-Piedmont twang and Northern Irish. HAHA! The "corruption" didn't wear off for several years for some reason.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I grew up in the New York metro area (not the city), and what I've found is that people generally find the Long Island accent to be more irritating. As for the general NYC accent, I'm pretty much used to it because I hear it all the time, but I don't actually have it because that's not where I grew up.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I grew up in the New York metro area (not the city), and what I've found is that people generally find the Long Island accent to be more irritating. As for the general NYC accent, I'm pretty much used to it because I hear it all the time, but I don't actually have it because that's not where I grew up.
    Don't you mean the "Lawn Gyland" accent? I grew up on Long Island myself, but I've lost pretty much all of it save a few words ("Bertday" instead of 'Birthday", "Yestaday" instead of "Yesterday", "Duh-ding" instead of "The Thing", and every Long Islanders' favorite word; "Friggin"). I've picked up some Southern sounding stuff being down here so long ("Whatter ya dooin?") but it's basically accent neutral I think.

I am not sure how but I can tell Long Islanders from those from Brooklyn/Queens/etc. pretty much immediately. Hard to describe that difference.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    ISTP

Sounds to me like you're better at telling them apart than I am. I'm just basing what I said on what I've heard people say. As of recently, I've only known one Long Island-er, and she was rather obnoxious, not so much due to her voice though, just her personality.

I just can't wait to move to Lakeland...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Nobody can.
    Yeah, they are bad...I think New Jersey ones are worse though.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe