User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

I wonder whether the people who do eat dogs think about this.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I would assume the reasons for that would be more that you can get more milk from a cow than a dog or a cat. That, and we dont tend to like to mix our pet animals with our food animals. As for horses, people needed them for work and transportation, so it's not really practical to keep a horse lactating beyond the time it would nurse its own babies.
    Oxen can be used for milk and work. I believe camels can be too. I am not aware of horse milk being drank. In more ancient times dogs were more practical companions than simply pets: alarm system, guardian, animal herder, etc.... Domestication comes from practical reasons, but we don't drink milk from all of the animals we domesticate.

(Then there is cats. There seems to be no practical reason to domesticate a cat.)
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

I have a vague opinion that herbivores are more adequate for human nutrition than carnivores or omnivores. That might be a reason why we do not prefer drink dog's milk (yekkk!!!)
    On the other hand many populations eat these clases of animals, so it looks like a cultural thing

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I stand corrected.

I suppose if people will drink horse milk then they'll drink anything. Perhaps with a clever marketing strategy we could sell dog milk as a delicacy to people with too much money on their hands for $10-$20 a glass.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Hmmm.... You are almost convincing me to switch to soy milk.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I want a bottle of human milk...
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Good luck with that. Human milk banks sell it to give to premature babies to the tune of $4 an ounce. (It's prescribed for them and often covered by insurance.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Good luck with that. Human milk banks sell it to give to premature babies to the tune of $4 an ounce. (It's prescribed for them and often covered by insurance.)
    Wish I'd known that eight years ago.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

It's omnivore milk, too. OMG, THE SKY, IT IS FALLING!
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.