User Tag List

MBTI
    yupp

Default Why do I suck at biology?

I don't get it I'm decent at other sciences I undertand them well enough, but start describing how neurons fire and dna and cells, you might as well be speaking french. I do terribly on anything that has to do with biology, I took a psych test, which I did bad on, because the test was Foundations of Biological Functioning and got all the parts of the brain confused. Luckily I don't think there'll be any more heavy biology in it, because the stuff on the drugs I understood fine, but the way the brain works I was like what?!! my mom had to help me though highschool biology and I barely passed, I wonder why biology is the one science I'm crap at. Anyone else have a specific niche in a subject that they're not good at despite being descent at the rest of the subject?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

In my experience, the sciences are divided between people who are good at knowing a lot of information and people who are good at working things out, and there are a few who are good at both. I'm one of the people who are good at working things out, so things like physics, math, and computer science are things I do very well in, whereas I suck at just knowing things, which is why I was never good at biology, and even some chemistry, unless I'm already interested in the subject to begin with

The reason why biology's particularly bad at this is not only is it mostly memorizing things, it's memorizing specific names without any context. Its mechanisms and processes are all chemistry-based, so it comes down to memorizing a bunch of random vocabulary that only has meaning because it was agreed upon by a group of people at one point. I never had the patience for that, because I was always interesting in how things work, not what they were called. I dunno. Maybe it gets more interesting the further you get into it, but I'm not really interested in finding out.

Aside from that, considering that most sciences will overlap at one point, I do have the occasional trouble of needing to understand something I never bothered to learn in the first place, which is usually where I run into that situation.

[/ramble]
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Anyone else have a specific niche in a subject that they're not good at despite being descent at the rest of the subject?
    oh yeah.. i'm pretty terrible with anything beyond the basic with both chem and physics, yet bio seems to be rather breezy for me in comparison.. (I'm basically Aerithria's opposite).

aside from personal interest, i think there may be one reason i'm adept at remembering terms and such in biology..

prplchknz, how are you with foreign language?
    i find that my inclination to remember words and terms, however obscure, is a big part of why i never flunked a biology test (and i'm not the most studious person)...
    if you have a strong verbal intelligence, or an auditory learning style, or both, i think your learning may be dependent upon the teacher/instructor to a larger degree than those who are "book learners". what's helpful to me is to listen to the instructor whilst referring back to my book - having a visual to associate the auditory input (terms) with helps me retain lots of things. a lep is a ball! -without the picture of the ball, who knows if i'd have retained that little gem..

not really a big secret but a lot of times i find when i am struggling with a subject, a lot of it may have to do with my learning style versus the teaching/study methods employed.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    The reason why biology's particularly bad at this is not only is it mostly memorizing things, it's memorizing specific names without any context. Its mechanisms and processes are all chemistry-based, so it comes down to memorizing a bunch of random vocabulary that only has meaning because it was agreed upon by a group of people at one point. I never had the patience for that, because I was always interesting in how things work, not what they were called. I dunno. Maybe it gets more interesting the further you get into it, but I'm not really interested in finding out.
    +1
    Biology was probably my most difficult and most hated subject in school. That and some classical poetry class I had to take.

Ironically, I had no head for Geometry either, even though I love higher maths. Mostly because of the way it was taught - I was forced to reason things out step by step in the way the teacher dictated, and that went against my natural instincts. Maybe I just hated the teacher, I don't know...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I dropped biology pretty early on. My interests were a little different.

I never had much problems with biology, but like I said, I didn't take it very far so would probably hate it as much as you do had I not dropped it.

I didn't particularly excel in any subject though. Except physics and chemistry. I had good grades there without needing to do anything for it. Other subjects I only did enough to get a passable grade, and I spent my time doing fun stuff instead of worrying about studying.

I find it a miracle that I actually graduated. Oo
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    oh yeah.. i'm pretty terrible with anything beyond the basic with both chem and physics, yet bio seems to be rather breezy for me in comparison.. (I'm basically Aerithria's opposite).

aside from personal interest, i think there may be one reason i'm adept at remembering terms and such in biology..

prplchknz, how are you with foreign language?
    i find that my inclination to remember words and terms, however obscure, is a big part of why i never flunked a biology test (and i'm not the most studious person)...
    if you have a strong verbal intelligence, or an auditory learning style, or both, i think your learning may be dependent upon the teacher/instructor to a larger degree than those who are "book learners". what's helpful to me is to listen to the instructor whilst referring back to my book - having a visual to associate the auditory input (terms) with helps me retain lots of things. a lep is a ball! -without the picture of the ball, who knows if i'd have retained that little gem..

not really a big secret but a lot of times i find when i am struggling with a subject, a lot of it may have to do with my learning style versus the teaching/study methods employed.
    I'm terrible at languages.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    SEXY

Anyone else have a specific niche in a subject that they're not good at despite being descent at the rest of the subject?
    Maths. I dreaded it irrationally.

Biology on the other hand came very easy to me. I always got good grades with minimal effort.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    Really? I've always find biology to be not too bad because there are mechanisms and relationships involved. Although they're not so apparent in high school unless you have a teacher that'll outline all that to you. I guess most high school teachers don't and just ask you to memorize a bunch of stuff. It gets better in upper level college courses.

Aside from that, considering that most sciences will overlap at one point, I do have the occasional trouble of needing to understand something I never bothered to learn in the first place, which is usually where I run into that situation.
    For sure! Understanding the basic concepts of the different sciences helps. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math... they all come together.

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post

I'm terrible at languages.
    I'm like purple, languages aren't my thing. I mean I can retain the stuff for exams but afterward I forget.

Agree with what you said about learning style. I'm very visual. Probably will flunk out if you ask me to learn something by ear. The schooling system is so heavily visually based that auditory learners have a lot of difficulties. As is the case with my brother... my whole family's helping him prepared for his provincial exams and he's still having difficulties.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Biology is the most boring subject, next to sports. I am bad at methodical science however I am interested in how things work.

MBTI
    YaYa

I was bad at biology also.

I think its because I had a hard time relating to what amoeba and protozoa were and their functions and got bored really quick.

Did very well in Physics though.

Fuck Science.