User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by WickedQueen View Post
    You can't be abstract if you wanna be serious. You have to choose, man. Or else your brain will explode.

How ESTJ of you.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Looks like you clepped the course.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Enneagram
    1w2

Default I'm being totally serious!

What kind of abstract do you want to be? I'm not quite sure how one can be taught to be abstract. You can be taught critical thinking skills, problem solving skills, interpersonal skills and I think abstractness lies somewhere in there. I think we all should be aware of implications and consequences of alternate interpretations to what is immediately seen but constantly dwelling in that place is extremely unbalanced.

If you're referring to MBTI abstract then I think that's a very arbitrary category of what it means to be abstract. If you mean to consider a concept without a specific example, or existing only within the mind your probably already are abstract in that way. Perhaps you may only consider these things when prompted, but once you've been prompted your mind goes from there. I think you can start from the abstract and it can flow into the physical or you can start from the physical and it can move into the abstract, the process just needs to start somehow. We're temporal beings so our mind is limited and confined in some ways to what we can imagine because we can't conceive of it and on top of that we don't know to conceive of it. Total abstractness seems impossible and even somewhat dangerous to me almost like a psychotic break that never ends.

I'm absurdly tuned into how people relate and interact with each other. I don't claim to catch on to everything or even most things, but even something as basic as me going to someone's office and them not turning around from their computer screen is something that can be inferred from that ranging from a simple 'they seem really busy, I'll come back later' to 'what are they so engrossed in what they're doing that they can't be bothered to answer work related questions?' To me inferences=abstractions, so I typically start from something that's evident.

I recently read a pamphlet about neurolinguinstic programming and I think they gave an excellent practical and concrete example of abstractness, or rather the kind of abstractness I'm attuned to.

Take a simple statement someone makes: "I can't do that here."

They broke the "meaning" of the sentence based on the emphasis someone placed on a certain word.

I can't do that here: Emphasis at IDENTITY level
    I can't do that here: Emphasis on BELIEF level
    I can't do that here: Emphasis on CAPABILITY level
    I can't do that here: Emphasis on BEHAVIOUR level
    I can't do that here: Emphasis on ENVIRONMENT

If you're listening to someone say this keep the dual idea in your head that they could be saying this explicitly without any more meaning that what was superficially indicated AND that they may be saying one of those indicators. For my purposes it still points to something in the real world. Abstractions to me always have a tangible equivalent even if it's not immediately apparent. It still exists it just has to be found.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    What kind of abstract do you want to be?
    Initially I was only joking around. That's why I put it in the Fluff Zone.
    But the responses have been really interesting and I've enjoyed everyone's input.

I've read a lot of books on NLP, I'll have to pull them out and have another read.

I really enjoy problem solving books too. Critical thinking is not my cup of tea though. So my answer to what abstract skills I'd most like to learn and improve is problem solving and design thinking.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

To abstract... is to pull pieces out of the whole and examine them independently regardless on their existing context.

That is the nature of Ni abstraction.

(You can be serious and abstract at the same time! HAH!)

Dry humor is a form of abstraction.

Abstraction for problem solving? Hmmmm *scratches head* It's easiest to abstract to understand the problem. After you defined all the components, you put them back together again hopefully in a solution that works. I can't explain without a problem to work with... and none comes to mind at this moment.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

You can't be abstract if you wanna be serious. You have to choose, man. Or else your brain will explode.

Serious people needs tonnes of alchohol drink to be abstract.

You've never met an INFJ have you?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    To abstract... is to pull pieces out of the whole and examine them independently regardless on their existing context.

That is the nature of Ni abstraction.

(You can be serious and abstract at the same time! HAH!)

Dry humor is a form of abstraction.
    Actually, My sense of humour is pretty dry. In real life at least. I don't know how it comes across here.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    How ESTJ of you.
    I consider that as a compliment. Thank you! LOL

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    You've never met an INFJ have you?
    I don't know much about MBTI, so I'm not sure whether or not I have met them.

But even if I did met any of INFJ, I wouldn't care either.