User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which temperament grouping do you prefer?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stick with the classic NT/NF. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    9 34.62%
  • I like NJ/NP better. Let's try it!

    17 65.38%
First 234

Results 31 to 36 of 36

  1. #31
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Oh, you mean THAT kind of Ni. I DO sense that kind of Ni in you. But that kind of Ni is the kind I think many people end up developing at some point in their life. I would actually score rather low on the kind you're talking about, though I'm seeking to develop it.

    Self-actualization and envisioning things is Ni-ish, but Ni itself isn't really about that. It just kind of uses the idea of those things in other processes. The Ni user may not even be very self-actualized, though they have all the tools they need to become that way if they can manage to get themselves centered, which ironically is a more difficult state for them to reach and maintain than it is for many other types. It's hard to explain.
    I don't know *when* I developed it, but on the first cognitive function test I took my Ni was actually higher than my Ne, though there was a negligible two or three percentile difference. As I mentioned before, on a large number of personality tests I have tested as INFJ because of the strength of Ni. I decided that ultimately P was a stronger preference for me than J. I believe that I was raised in a very J environment.

    I don't show the full spectrum of my intellect on this site, of course. I doubt that many of us do.


    That's true, also. But you should remember... just because they can dish it out, doesn't mean they can take it. There really are very sensitive people who can go around being ruthless and nasty to others. In fact, immature IxTJs (and more rarely IxFPs) often do just that.
    I agree with you.

    However, my point still stands that I have simply had more conflict...on-line in particular...with NTJs than NTPs. That's just how it has gone for me.

    I usually get along with INFJs for the most part, and have several INFJ friends, but I do believe that I had an INT/FJ professor last semester and I HATED her. She was so nit-picky about how every little insignificant thing had to be. She was one of THOSE. That's how I know I am ultimately a P preference.

  2. #32
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't know *when* I developed it, but on the first cognitive function test I took my Ni was actually higher than my Ne, though there was a negligible two or three percentile difference. As I mentioned before, on a large number of personality tests I have tested as INFJ because of the strength of Ni. I decided that ultimately P was a stronger preference for me than J. I believe that I was raised in a very J environment.

    I don't show the full spectrum of my intellect on this site, of course. I doubt that many of us do.
    Ni doesn't have anything to do with intellect, actually. It can be very irrational. In fact, it's actually considered an irrational function. I think you're very intelligent to have put so much thought into your type, for instance. I can totally see you being very good at interpreting literature.

    If you're going to associate intellect with a function, you should go with Ti. But I wouldn't go that far.



    I agree with you.

    However, my point still stands that I have simply had more conflict...on-line in particular...with NTJs than NTPs. That's just how it has gone for me.

    I usually get along with INFJs for the most part, and have several INFJ friends, but I do believe that I had an INT/FJ professor last semester and I HATED her. She was so nit-picky about how every little insignificant thing had to be. She was one of THOSE. That's how I know I am ultimately a P preference.
    Oh, I actually forgot about your point.

    Yeah, your point is valid. I forgot to mention that.

    She could very well have been an INFJ, it's certainly not impossible. When we get stuck in Ti... sometimes we're not very nice.

  3. #33
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Costrin has always, and will likely continue to support this movement. The problem though, is that NT/NF are ingrained in people's heads. Therefore, (good) NP/NJ descriptions need to be written. Course, I don't necessarily think NT/NF is bad, but that NP/NJ could be better, or at least offer a different perspective that could give useful insights.
    The temperament divisions are pretty arbitrary.

    Most of us have already formed NJ vs. NP profiles in our heads, along with just about every other possible letter comparison.

    The divisions of "official temperaments" seem pretty irrelevant.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  4. #34
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    The temperament divisions are pretty arbitrary.

    Most of us have already formed NJ vs. NP profiles in our heads, along with just about every other possible letter comparison.

    The divisions of "official temperaments" seem pretty irrelevant.
    Agreed, except for the bolded.

    A lot of us have, but there are quite a few who haven't. Those are the people I'm throwing this out there for.

  5. #35
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Ni doesn't have anything to do with intellect, actually. It can be very irrational. In fact, it's actually considered an irrational function. I think you're very intelligent to have put so much thought into your type, for instance. I can totally see you being very good at interpreting literature.
    Thank you

    If you're going to associate intellect with a function, you should go with Ti. But I wouldn't go that far.
    Probably, especially in terms of logical, abstract intelligence in relation to things like math, science, and secular philosophy. But there are different types of intelligence of course, which is why I wouldn't go that far either.





    Oh, I actually forgot about your point.

    Yeah, your point is valid. I forgot to mention that.
    I appreciate you saying so.

    She could very well have been an INFJ, it's certainly not impossible. When we get stuck in Ti... sometimes we're not very nice.
    I just have a strong aversion to "nit picky" rules, which always seem so arbitrary and meaningless to me. I'm always more focused on depth of thought and content and articulation/expression than things like format, minor errors, and other exacting ways of doing things. Some teachers are like that, and my guess is that they're mostly Js. If I do end up teaching I would much rather teach reading/literature than grammar/language arts because of that preference. In fact, I have a mild aversion to the public school system because it seems so J, specifically SJ, but that's off topic. Sorry.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    938

    Default

    In terms of behaviour NJ/NP is probably better than NF/NT. But it should be about attitudes. NFs are concerned about people, NTs are concerned about intellectual thoughts, SJs are concerned about preserving, and SPs are concerned about creating. That all makes sense to me, way more than NJ/NP.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] NJ vs. SJ and NP vs. SP
    By Elocute in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 11:54 PM
  2. How NJs and NPs view time
    By trancemode in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 07:17 AM
  3. [MBTItm] NJ and NP navigations and facial features.
    By Synapse in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM
  4. NJ / SP and music
    By run in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 10:33 PM
  5. NJ order and NP chaos in fiction and reality
    By nightwatcher in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO